Help! Hair Breakage

I need some serious help. My hair has been growing like weeds lately. The back of my hair is almost brastrap lenght, however, my front and middle part of my hair has broken off. If you look at my hair from the front I long like my hair is shoulder length. :wallbash: Which means I have to cut my hair now. I have been wearing my hair in ponytails because of my job. Does anyone else have a suggestion for a protective hair style where I won't pull my front hair to the point it breaks off. I am also heavy handed. I don't want this happening to me agian. Thanks

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I am sure some of the ladies will join in any minute. Would you happen to have any photos of your hair? Many times having a picture helps to really see what may be going on with your hair. If I can see a picture, I may be able to give more specific, more helpful suggestions.

luckiestdestiny

You also may be able to save your hair. Many have it in a u shape here. You can keep the sides shorter and just even it up as it grows out. You've seen styles where the sides are shorter than the back? Well your hair just invented it for you. Of course you want to make sure this never happens again and provide pics, but you can take your misfortune and turn it around without having to chop it off in it's entirety. There are people here whose hair grows faster in the back then on the sides. They don't just chop it off, or else they wouldn't even see any growth. You can however, make sure it looks even and nice, but it may be salvageable without cutting off all your lenght. PICS!

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Are your ponytails too tight? That could be a factor in the breakage.

A style I'd suggest is the bun. What you can do is moisturize/wet your ends really well, then seal with a thick butter or oil, and then secure the ends in a bun.

Other styles would be braidouts and twistouts. But since you have to wear your hair pulled back, the bun may be better.

JustKiya

I wouldn't cut it - I'd round it out so that it looks purposeful, but there is no way I would cut from BSL to shoulder before already having figured out what was causing the breakage, and gaining at least an inch or two in front to be sure I was right.

Otherwise, 9 months from now, you could be in the same situation all over again.

There are plenty of threads here on protective styles - I'd suggest you do a search for some of them, and find out some styles that will work for you - even ponytails can work, as long as you don't pull them tight - do a loose ponytail... :yep:

G'luck....

Evazhair

You also may be able to save your hair. Many have it in a u shape here. You can keep the sides shorter and just even it up as it grows out. You've seen styles where the sides are shorter than the back? Well your hair just invented it for you. Of course you want to make sure this never happens again and provide pics, but you can take your misfortune and turn it around without having to chop it off in it's entirety. There are people here whose hair grows faster in the back then on the sides. They don't just chop it off, or else they wouldn't even see any growth. You can however, make sure it looks even and nice, but it may be salvageable without cutting off all your lenght. PICS!

The bolded would be me. You should be able to go without cutting it unless it is split. It can still grow out. Others give good suggestions,my 2 cents:

First I say nix the ponytails- they just end up reinforcing layers, in my experience.

updos, Flexi-8's and good day hairpins(sally's) are your friend.

I am not a bun person due to past experiences with ponytails, but I do place my hair like making a ponytail and twist(2 strand or like bantu knot) or braid up the length and pin to my head to simulate a bun . The shorter layers I would blend in the best I can. I never pull or twist tightly though, my hair never feels like it's been pulled into a ponytail when I do it. Hope that makes some kind of sense.