HELP!HELP! I THINK I OVER CONDITIONED MY HAIR

Mandy4610

IS THERE SUCH A THING AS OVER CONDITIONING YOU HAIR? I THINK I JUST DID! I DID THE PRE-POO, STAYED UNDER THE DRYER FOR 30MINS, THEN I WASHED MY HAIR AND DEEP CONDITIONED WITH A 5 IN 1 RECONSTRUCTOR FOR ANOTHER 30MINS:scratchch. AFTER THE DEEP CONDITIONING I RINSED, APPLIED LEAVE-IN AND SOME MOISTURIZER, THEN I DECIDED TO ROLLERSET WITH SETTING LOTION. MY HAIR FEELS LIKE WIRES:cry2:.WHAT SHOULD I DO? I FINISHED ROLLERSETTING BUT MY HAIR WAS BREAKING LIKE CRAZY, OMG, WHAT SHOULD I DO :wallbash:. I NEED HELP, PLEASE HELP!:crying3:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
When you run your fingers through your hair, does your hair stretch like elastic and then break? If so, you have too much moisture in your hair...

wheezy807

I dunno, because usually over conditioned/moisturized hair would feel mushy and overly soft. Too much protein would feel like straw. When you mentioned your hair feels like wire, i'm thinking it's too much protein.

Brownie518

What did you prepoo with? Usually when you use a reconstructor, you would follow with a moisturizing conditioner. That could be your problem. Also, what leave in did you apply?

Mandy4610

I prpood with a moisturising conditioner and then deep conditioned with a reconstructor.
I used Mizani Moisturefuse for pre-poo
Affirm 5 in 1 reconstructor
Keracare Leave-in

Proudpiscean

I prpood with a moisturising conditioner and then deep conditioned with a reconstructor.
I used Mizani Moisturefuse for pre-poo
Affirm 5 in 1 reconstructor
Keracare Leave-in

Like the previous poster said, reconstructors should be followed by moisturizing conditioners.
I don't think it's over-conditioned, you may just need to clarify and do a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment.

Last edited:

Mandy4610

I am quite new to taking good care of my hair, how do I clarify? Please help.
thank you ladies!!!!!:grin:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I agree with the other ladies, do a dc and put some moisture in that head, girl! :lol: A clarifying shampoo is a shampoo that cleans EVERYTHING out of your hair, and kinda strips it. That way, you're pretty much starting with a clean slate. Two good ones that I like are Dove Beautifully Clean and Herbal Essense Drama Clean. HTH!

Last edited:

Longhealthyhair

If you don't have a clarifying shampoo, you could always add baking soda to your regular shampoo and that will give it "clarifying properties."

I agree with everyone...you need to clarify, then deep condition and see how it feels. I think you have protein overload. Over the next few days make sure that whatever products you are using don't have heavy protein. Also you should dc again in 3-4 days to put moisture back into your hair. In the future, do a strand test to check what your hair needs...moisture or protein.

sexyaqr

Co-signing with everyone. It was just that the order that you did it. Any time you do a heavy protein treatment, i.e a reconstructor, you must follow it with a moisturizing deep conditioner. Or you will have very hard, dry brittle feeling hair.
I personally do not really like clarifying that much cause it strips my hair too much for me. So my advice would be to wash with a moisturizing shampoo, followed by a moisturizing contioner. And you must deep condition:- 1) sit under the dryer for 15-20 minutes or 2) leave contioner in hair for 30-45 mins while you do household chores.

Mestiza

I dunno, because usually over conditioned/moisturized hair would feel mushy and overly soft. Too much protein would feel like straw. When you mentioned your hair feels like wire, i'm thinking it's too much protein.

Ditto! It sounds like your hair needs a moisturizing conditioner. As a rule of thumb, it's ideal to follow up a protein conditioner w/ a moisturizing one. HHG!