I relaxed ya'll...but my hair feels dry

naturally-devine

Yesterday, I relaxed my hair after 10 months of transitioning. I had 5 inches of new growth. I used Mizani Butter Blends Regular mixed with a 2 Tbsp conditioner. I must have some ultra resistant hair because I was thinking it was going to be a little straighter, but I still have a lot of wavy texture (which I am excited about). It's just easier to comb now, yay for me. I'm happy with my decision and from this point I am going to be texlaxing my hair and cut off the bone straight as it grows. My issue is my hair feels dry or unmoisturized:sad:. I need help in trying to figure out a way to combat this. I hate the way it feels. Here's what I did in prep for the relaxer:

Last week: Aphoogee damaged hair treatment (under the dryer for 15 mn until hair was hard. Deep conditioned with ORS Repl Pack (heat for 30 min)

Tues: Based scalp with Vaseline. Applied conditioner to relaxed hair to avoid overprocessing. Applied relaxer (left on for appr 22 min including application). Rinsed out, applied Motions Protein reconstructor for (2 mn), rinsed, neutralized shampoo until no pink. Conditioned with heat (ORS Replenishing Pack) for 25 minutes, rinsed. Applied Leave In-Paul Mitchell "The conditioner", shea butter, and a dap grapeseed oil, Elasta Qp thermal protection and blow dried on medium setting.

Any ideas on what I did wrong or what I need to do. I thought about washing again and trying something different, but I don't know what. Please help.

BTW...I'm like a quarter inch from BSL, but I need a trim. Waiting to grow out more before trimming. I will be bunning starting next week.

Here is the thing I really like Shea butter, but I never use it by itself as a moisturizer because it used to leave my hair feeling very dry afterwards. So I'd mix it with another moisturizer like ORS Carrot and Olive oil to boost it a little bit... Just my thought, hope that helps :)

Yesterday, I relaxed my hair after 10 months of transitioning. I had 5 inches of new growth. I used Mizani Butter Blends Regular mixed with a 2 Tbsp conditioner. I must have some ultra resistant hair because I was thinking it was going to be a little straighter, but I still have a lot of wavy texture (which I am excited about). It's just easier to comb now, yay for me. I'm happy with my decision and from this point I am going to be texlaxing my hair and cut off the bone straight as it grows. My issue is my hair feels dry or unmoisturized:sad:. I need help in trying to figure out a way to combat this. I hate the way it feels. Here's what I did in prep for the relaxer:

Last week: Aphoogee damaged hair treatment (under the dryer for 15 mn until hair was hard. Deep conditioned with ORS Repl Pack (heat for 30 min)

Tues: Based scalp with Vaseline. Applied conditioner to relaxed hair to avoid overprocessing. Applied relaxer (left on for appr 22 min including application). Rinsed out, applied Motions Protein reconstructor for (2 mn), rinsed, neutralized shampoo until no pink. Conditioned with heat (ORS Replenishing Pack) for 25 minutes, rinsed. Applied Leave In-Paul Mitchell "The conditioner", shea butter, and a dap grapeseed oil, Elasta Qp thermal protection and blow dried on medium setting.

Any ideas on what I did wrong or what I need to do. I thought about washing again and trying something different, but I don't know what. Please help.

BTW...I'm like a quarter inch from BSL, but I need a trim. Waiting to grow out more before trimming. I will be bunning starting next week.

Congrats on your decision! I do think you had too much protein going on there. The Aphoghee & Ors before relaxing and then the Ors after relaxing may be what dried it out a bit. I could be wrong though. You probably need to use a moisturizing deep condition for awhile.

Wow, 10 months....way to go. Last week you DC'd with ORS rep pak after the Aphogee. Thing is, the ORS pak is also a light protein treatment, so you may have dry hair 'cause of the back to back protein treatments.

You need more true moisture DCs. It'll bring the moisture back.

Also, the Motions reconstructor after relaxing is too much. Sounds like you used 4 protein treatments from heavy to light and I believe that's what did it. So, just focus on moisturizing dc for awhile and you'll be fine.

If you would have waited two more months wouldn't you have been able to big chop or were you ideally seeking a long term transition?

Wow Asummertyme..., look at your daughter getting so big right before my eyes! Nice pose she has going on you siggy. BTW, your hair is growing nicely.

I agree with the other ladies...sound like u need more moisture..DCing and very good leave in's..

Thanks ladies. I have deep conditioned with Pantene R&N and it feels a lot better. I think if I do that a couple more times, I'll be good to go. Again thanks so much.

Moustacy-I was planning to transition for 2 years. I really wanted to be natural, but it was really time consuming. I have extremely thick 3c, 4a, 4b hair. I loved the look but I wanted to length and ease. My days are pretty short with work, husband, and 3 kids. Wash days were a nightmare and I'd get frustrated really quickly.

Back