Help I used GVP joico-k pak now I am shedding

mzsophisticated26

Last week I texlaxed and did the protein step before neutralizing with joico k pak reconstructor. This is my first time doing this step and I only use light protein ORS every 2wks. I wanted to see if this would help with strengthing my hair. Now everytime I comb with a widetooth comb I have a lot of strands coming out some are clumped 5-6 strands at a time, when I clean the comb out I can make a small ball of hair. I washed my hair today and more hair came out. I never had an issue with shedding and my hair was fine until I used this. I don't use protein often so I doubt its an overload. What can I do to stop excessive shedding?

BTW my weekly regi is CON moisture poo, suave humectant. S curl and b&b moisture lotion, JBCO. I have fine/thin 4b hair

Are you certain you rinsed all your relaxer completely out? I've never had that happen after adding that Mid-Protein Step.:perplexed

I Rinse the Relaxer completely out, do the Protein leave on for about 5 minutes, Rinse out and then Neutralize.

Have You Tried Deep Conditioning?

I didn't see where you were using any Moisturizing Conditioning Treatments. Except for your the Stuff you use Daily.

Could there be hormonal issues causing your shedding? recent birth of a child, stopping or starting bc pills, stopping/starting medications, stress, etc.

I rinsed out all of the relaxer then put the joico on for about 5-7mins. Used the neutralizer from the relaxer kit and washed a total of 3 times last time leaving it on for about 3mins. I proceeded to wash with CON twice and then deep conditoned with nu expressions humectant conditoner for 10mins. Applied scurl, b&b. Once I air dried and started to comb through so I can bun and then I noticed shedding. I thought it was shedding hairs from post relaxer but when I do my hair everday it sheds. I wash and DC yesterday same shedding. I have not changed anything in my regi and I have been on the same BC pills no stress.

How do I tell the difference between breakage and shedding? My ends are still even and healthy

i guarantee it wasn't because of the GVP. i shed a bit more than usual the first couple of weeks after a relaxer, so it is probably because of whatever you used to texlax with. keep on using protein every so often, and incorporate a garlic shampoo / treatment into your regimen to combat the shedding.

I rinsed out all of the relaxer then put the joico on for about 5-7mins. Used the neutralizer from the relaxer kit and washed a total of 3 times last time leaving it on for about 3mins. I proceeded to wash with CON twice and then deep conditoned with nu expressions humectant conditoner for 10mins. Applied scurl, b&b. Once I air dried and started to comb through so I can bun and then I noticed shedding. I thought it was shedding hairs from post relaxer but when I do my hair everday it sheds. I wash and DC yesterday same shedding. I have not changed anything in my regi and I have been on the same BC pills no stress.

How do I tell the difference between breakage and shedding? My ends are still even and healthy

ah, well the bolded may have something to do with it. many people here have problems dealing with their airdried hair, and say the worst thing you can do to airdried hair is manipulate it. maybe the combing caused breakage.

Slightly OT: My hair hates the GVP joico. :( It causes breakage for my hair. I just stick to Nexxus Emergencee and a moisturizing conditioner.

I don't know what others do but I always neutralize first, this is because the relaxer is still active on your hair so the longer you take to get the neutralizing going the longer you are leaving relaxer on your hair.

It is ok to do your deep conditioning chelating and deep/protein conditioners after thoroughly rinsing out the relaxer.

you may be getting the shedding/breakage because the relaxer was still active in your hair.

Thanks ladies for all your help, from the definition it seems I have breakage. I will be doing a longer DC this week and try rollerwrap. I think I will just go back to using ORS since I had no problem with this light protein.

Thanks ladies for all your help, from the definition it seems I have breakage. I will be doing a longer DC this week and try rollerwrap. I think I will just go back to using ORS since I had no problem with this light protein.

I know this may be waaay late, but wanted to chime in and say it could have been protein overload which can cause breakage/shedding.....

I do not think that using a conditioner after rinsing your relaxer and before neutralizing is a good idea unless your relaxer directions specifically call for it.

I do not think that using a conditioner after rinsing your relaxer and before neutralizing is a good idea unless your relaxer directions specifically call for it.

I read an article by [LCHF member] Sistaslick which details the mid-protein step between rinsing and neutralizing. I actually wanted to try this the next time I relax but now I'm not too sure.

Here's the link to the part about the protein step:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...pplying_chemical_relaxers_pg5_pg5.html?cat=69

Looking at the article, it does say to use a mild protein. Maybe the Kpac was too strong for her hair. :perplexed

Back