GVP K-Pak is not the Joico reconstructor

sheba1

Is this old news? I just wanted to let you ladies know because I just realized this. The Sally's GVP K-Pak is the generic version of the Joico K-Pak conditioner. It says this on the bottle. The Joico deep penetrating reconstructor is a protein treatment that must be followed by a conditioner for balance. It is not a conditoner, at all. The ingredients are very similar, however, but the prices are crazy different. Denise11 was just telling me that she bought a gallon of the Joico K-Pak conditioner for $43 on ebay. This would actually turn out to be a much better price than the Sally's GVP version ($5 for 8.5 oz)! The Joico deep penetrating reconstructor is pricier. The normal price for a 5 oz is $21. Yikes! I found it for a good price, though, at max beauty direct.

taz007

Is this old news? I just wanted to let you ladies know because I just realized this. The Sally's GVP K-Pak is the generic version of the Joico K-Pak conditioner. It says this on the bottle. The Joico deep penetrating reconstructor is a protein treatment that must be followed by a conditioner for balance. It is not a conditoner, at all. The ingredients are very similar, however, but the prices are crazy different. Denise11 was just telling me that she bought a gallon of the Joico K-Pak conditioner for $43 on ebay. This would actually turn out to be a much better price than the Sally's GVP version ($5 for 8.5 oz)! The Joico deep penetrating reconstructor is pricier. The normal price for a 5 oz is $21. Yikes! I found it for a good price, though, at max beauty direct.

Ok, you almost had me! I swear I did a flying leap upstairs to get my GVP conditioner to read the ingredients. It actually says "Deep Penetrating Reconstructing Conditioner" and the ingredients are pretty much the same as the Joico Deep Penatrating Reconstructor.

Am I missing something? :look:

kblc06

I use Joico almost exclusively now (this is the only line that has actually resulted in the thickening of my hair strands). You can but it even cheaper at Ulta. I JUST paid $40.00 for the Joico K-Pak Reconstructive Shampoo AND Conditioner (the 1L bottles) AND the 5.1 oz tube of the K-Pak deep penetrating reconstructor :lick: Plus, if you buy it online, there is no way to verify if it is a legitimate product.

Squikee

I'm glad you said this. I just recently purchased the GVP K-Pak because I heard so many good things about Joico. I used it in place of my APhogee 2 Min Keratin Reconstructor and I was NOT impressed. It didn't have good slip and I was thinking this must be a horrible knock off or Joico is not for me. I'll try picking up the REAL Joico and see how that does for me. Thanks again!

sheba1

Ok, you almost had me! I swear I did a flying leap upstairs to get my GVP conditioner to read the ingredients. It actually says "Deep Penetrating Reconstructing Conditioner" and the ingredients are pretty much the same as the Joico Deep Penatrating Reconstructor.

Am I missing something? :look:

Oh, no doubt! It is the reconstructing conditioner. I have both the gvp and the joico and the actual reconstructor doesn't say "conditioner" anywhere on the bottle. The ingredients are indeed similar. The back of the bottle compares the generic version of the k-pak line of the conditioner to the actual k-pak line conditioner. Here's a pretty decent article that makes it a little more clear: http://ezinearticles.com/?Joico-K-Pak-Hair-Care-Products&id=1504825

Or you could check it out at joico.com

sheba1

I use Joico almost exclusively now (this is the only line that has actually resulted in the thickening of my hair strands). You can but it even cheaper at Ulta. I JUST paid $40.00 for the Joico K-Pak Reconstructive Shampoo AND Conditioner (the 1L bottles) AND the 5.1 oz tube of the K-Pak deep penetrating reconstructor :lick: Plus, if you buy it online, there is no way to verify if it is a legitimate product.

True enough. :yep: but I decided to try it anyhow, since the site was so highly rated. So far, I'm very impressed! So I either got the legit product or this is some serious placebo effect. hahaha

sheba1

I'm glad you said this. I just recently purchased the GVP K-Pak because I heard so many good things about Joico. I used it in place of my APhogee 2 Min Keratin Reconstructor and I was NOT impressed. It didn't have good slip and I was thinking this must be a horrible knock off or Joico is not for me. I'll try picking up the REAL Joico and see how that does for me. Thanks again!

Hey Squikee,

You're very welcome! I'm glad I could help! Just remember, if you decide to go with the real joico reconstructor, it is not a conditioner, and will not provide much, if any, slip. :nono: It will, as Kblc stated, provide thicker strands with softer, stronger hair over time.

gissellr78

Since I have heard so many reviews for joico I decided to give the gvp knock off a try and if I liked it then I will get the original...

I tried it today the gvp and it has great slip and my hair felt good

sheba1

Since I have heard so many reviews for joico I decided to give the gvp knock off a try and if I liked it then I will get the original...

I tried it today the gvp and it has great slip and my hair felt good

Gissell, that's great! I like the gvp, too. I guess I used it wrong, though. At the time I thought it was the reconstructor and treated it as such. I followed it up with a DC and then detangled in the shower with pantene R&N. It was lovely! I'm glad I sprung for the DPR, too. I'm just excited about this hair care thing, overall. I'm so amazed with my hair now that I'm giving it just some regular ole TLC. :drunk:

gissellr78

Gissell, that's great! I like the gvp, too. I guess I used it wrong, though. At the time I thought it was the reconstructor and treated it as such. I followed it up with a DC and then detangled in the shower with pantene R&N. It was lovely! I'm glad I sprung for the DPR, too. I'm just excited about this hair care thing, overall. I'm so amazed with my hair now that I'm giving it just some regular ole TLC. :drunk:

How funny I dc with pantene R&N mask too...I am in the dryer....but my hair felt AMAZING!

chebaby

i use the real joico deep penetraiting reconstructor every week and it does indeed create thicker stronger strands and i love it.
i love gvp products and did not buy the joico knock off becuase you are right its not the reconstructor, it is the conditioner which are two different things.

Denise11

Sheba~

The joico conditioner that I bought a gallon of is a reconstructor. It's called joico k-pak reconstruct conditioner. On the back it says "this daily conditioner fortifies, reconstructs, and strengthens damaged hair" (and lots more good stuff).

Last edited:

sydwrites

Thanks for clearing this up, the k-pak conditioner I believe is a reconstructing conditioner but not the deep penetrating reconstructor. I believe that is why you can use the reconstructing conditioner more often.

sheba1

Sheba~

The joico conditioner that I bought a gallon of is a reconstructor. It's called joico k-pak reconstruct conditioner. On the back it says "this daily conditioner fortifies, reconstructs, and strengthens damaged hair" (and lots more good stuff).

Hey Denise! Yep, the GVP is the replica of that. It's a reconstructing conditioner, also. But I think it's important to note that this is a separate product from the deep penetrating reconstructor treatment, which is not a conditioner. For all those ladies that may have picked up the GVP joico and thought it was the same thing as the DPR. From the site, I gather the K-Pak shampoo, conditioner and leave-in can all be used daily; whereas the DPR (deep penetrating reconstructor) is a treatment advised to be used in correspondence with the intense hydrator. The intense hydrator is another good example. While it is a conditioner, it is not the same product as the k-pak daily conditioner. It is designed as an intensive treatment that also conditions. Every product in the joico K-pak line has the hydrolized human hair keratin. I'm thinking that the concentration of the key products is what makes the difference?

I'm sorry if this is old news to all, but I thought it important to share because I did not realize, at the time that I bought my GVP joico that it was a replica of the conditioner. I thought it was a replica of the recontructing treatment. I'm not sure how different the two are in performance, either. The prices are hugely different, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's worth the difference in cost. Regardless, I think we should have as much info as possible so that we can make informed decisions.

Just hoping to help out!

chebaby

Sheba~

the daily conditioner is NOT the same as the deep penetrating reconstructor. i asure(sp?) you i have both of them. the deep penetraiting reconstructor i use once a week and you must follow with a moisturizing deep conditioner. the reconstructing conditioner is just a regular conditioner. its not even a deep conditioner and its so light you can use it everyday.

Last edited:

gymfreak336

Based off of the ingredients of the gvp its a knock off the deep pentrating reconstructor, not the daily conditioner.

Denise11

the daily conditioner is NOT the same as the deep penetrating reconstructor. i asure(sp?) you i have both of them. the deep penetraiting reconstructor i use once a week and you must follow with a moisturizing deep conditioner. the reconstructing conditioner is just a regular conditioner. its not even a deep conditioner and its so light you can use it everyday.

I never said the daily reconstructing conditioner was equal to the deep penetrating one, I said that it is a reconstructor. And it's NOT just another conditioner, it is a reconstructor, it's just not as potent as the deep penetrating one.

I like the fact that I can use it everyday if I wanted to. My hair loves this and I think the deep penetrating one would be too much for my hair. My hair is not damaged or breaking so I don't need that much power. With this conditioner my hair is noticeably stronger, it even looks like my strands are thicker, if that's possible. My hair is doing great with this stuff. Sometimes the most potent ones may be way too much for your hair. I don't need the other one, this one is just right.

Last edited:

Junebug D

I'm confused. I just went to ULTA and the Deep penetrating reconstructor is the one with mineral oil in it??? :perplexed The smaller tube was like $18? I ended up getting the Intense Hydrator, it had more proteins in it than any other I saw. :ohwell: Should I take it back and get the one with mineral oil? I wanted to do a hardcore protein treatment.

chebaby

^^^^^the intense hydrator doees have protein but its actually a moisturizing conditioner. it makes my hair sooooooooo soft, softer than the moisture recovery actually. i love it.
but you are right, the reconstructor is the one with the mineral oil.

DivaDee62

The GVP Reconstructor's ingredient label is the exact same as the Joico Deep Penatrating Recontructor. View for yourself at:

GVP Reconstructing Conditioner, which no doubt has a different name to circumvent any potential lawsuits but I'm not a lawyer to say definitively: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Hair-Reconstructor/SBS-264022,default,pd.html

Water (Aqua) Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine Glycol Stearate Ceteth-2 Mineral Oil PEG-8 Distearate Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin (Triamine Complex), Laurdimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin (Cationic Triamine Complex), Sodium Chloride, Myristyl Myristate, Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Sorbic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Yeast, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

Joico K-Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor: http://www.salon-collective.co.uk/joico.php?product_id=1472

Ingredients: Deionized Water, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glycol Stearate, Ceteth 2, Mineral Oil, PEG-8 Distearate, Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin (Triamine Complex), Laurdimonium Hydroxpropyl Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin (Cationic Triamine Complex), Sodium Chloride, Myristyl Myristate, Citric Acid, Fragrance, Sorbic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Yeast, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

The Joico K-Pak Conditioner's ingredients are:
http://www.salon-collective.co.uk/index.php?query=k-pak&product_id=1471

Ingredients: Aqua, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glycol Stearate, Ceteth 2, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth 20, Dimethicone Copolyol, Hydrolyzed Keratin (Triamine Complex), Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Keratin (Cationic Triamine Complex), Thioctic Acid, Psidium Guajava, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oenothera Biennis, Aleurites Moluccana, Glycolipids, Allantoin, Aloe Barbadensis, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Benzophenone 4, Hyaluronic Acid, Cetrimonium Bromide, Disodium EDTA, PEG 20 Almond Glycerides, Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Sodium Chloride, Myristyl Myristate, Citric Acid, PEG 20 Corn Glycerides, Glyceryl Stearate, Parfum, Sorbic Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

Keshieshimmer

Thanks, I was so confused. But anyways I have the generic sally's brand and today I got a trial pack of the shampoo/conditioner/reconstructor/hydrator at trade secrets. I'll see just how good the real stuff it!

MonaLisa

Just wanted to say...all the updated Joico products now have the Quadramine Complex...older versions, still rolling with the Triamine Complex

not that it makes all that big a difference to some...

just making aware..

back to topic..

Prose Princess

Oh man, I guess I got confused then. You ladies have me wanting to purchase the whole k-pak and moisture recovery line! There goes two weeks salary! lol

ETA: So, is the GVP Joico kpak the equivalent of the Joico Reconstructor or the Joico Kpak Conditioner?

Last edited:

Keshieshimmer

Oh man, I guess I got confused then. You ladies have me wanting to purchase the whole k-pak and moisture recovery line! There goes two weeks salary! lol

ETA: So, is the GVP Joico kpak the equivalent of the Joico Reconstructor or the Joico Kpak Conditioner?

This is the conclusion.

Denise11

Just wanted to say...all the updated Joico products now have the Quadramine Complex...older versions, still rolling with the Triamine Complex

not that it makes all that big a difference to some...

just making aware..

back to topic..

The gallon of joico k pak reconstruct conditioner that I bought months ago already had the Quadramine Complex in it.

tri3nity

Bump! Bumpity! Bump! Bump!

I purchased the Sally's GVP version, do I need to use a moisturizing conditioner afterwards?

ellebelle88

I purchased the Sally's GVP version, do I need to use a moisturizing conditioner afterwards?

Was wondering the same thing. I used the Sally's GVP version tonight. Decided to err on the side of caution and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

ellebelle88

BUMP!!! Has anyone ever used both where they can attest to if they are the same products or if one works better than the other? Also, I'm wondering if I should use a moisturizing conditioner following use of the GVP.