Help, i'm french and never heard of anything like that

Mamita

Back to basics
Hey everybody *wave* I do not come to this forum usually, but i had a question for you ladies.

See, i started talking to this guy who's a precher's son. He told me his father had a holly church. Up til now it's ok, i get it. But one sunday, I asked him what he did and said he was just coming back from church. It was 8 pm !!
He also told me they didn't stop the service until the holly ghost was "out" of the church. I had to ask how they knew it was "out", he said they worshiped and once everyone was done worshipping they knew it was over.

Ok now, i'm French, and we don't have that here. To be honest i picture that some of them enter some kind of transe (sp?). What is it? I'm not judging or anything, i'm mostly trying to see if it is common in America, because here in France it definitely isn't. We go to church on Sunday stay there enough time for the pastor to finish his sermon, and that's it, ususally an hour or so, but certainly not all day!!!

So Ladies tell me, is it common? What branch of Christianism is this? should i be worried? (cult? lol)

Please it's been on my mind for days now, and i need to have your opinions. Thank you in advance!!

It may be common for his church, which is what is referred to as a Holiness (or sanctified) church. The majority of churches here in the U.S. have worshipping services that are usually 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours long. There can be other services after that. Say... later that day when the members go back for a special program or something. But the Holiness churches do tend to praise and worship a lot longer than most. As for the 8 PM end time, I'm assuming they started in the evening right? You don't mean from the morning until night non-stop do you? I remember one that I went to as a little girl, where the service started at 7:00 PM, and didn't end until around 11:00 PM. But I've never heard of a regular worship service going from morning 'till night. Again though, Holiness churches do worship a lot longer, so I guess it could be possible.

Any members here belong to a Holiness church who can shed some more light on this?

Last edited:
Ok, that is probably common for holiness churches, which is a denomination. Its nothing to be scared about, no cult, its just praise and worship going on for a long time like Stormy said. And I would assume that it was an evening service that they had.. our church has 3 services every service, and one of them starts in the evening, I do not go to a holiness church, but I've been to one before. Holiness is not for everyone,

My church is a pentecostal. Sometimes the move of God is so strong that the preacher cant even preach. It dont happen often but when it does, its awesome. Usually after such a service, our church is blessed in a most magnificant way, if not the entire church maybe a particular member gets the breakthrough they've needed for so long. Its nothing to be afraid of as was stated above. There are churches like that in France also you just probably havent heard of one yet. Its an experience you have to not only witness for yourself but also open your heart mind and soul up to receiving whatever God want to give you.

No it's not common to all churches, that's just specific to his denomination. There are many different religions here in the states and so nothing is common to everybody like a majority as it is in France.

ladydee36330 said:
My church is a pentecostal. Sometimes the move of God is so strong that the preacher cant even preach. It dont happen often but when it does, its awesome. Usually after such a service, our church is blessed in a most magnificant way, if not the entire church maybe a particular member gets the breakthrough they've needed for so long. Its nothing to be afraid of as was stated above. There are churches like that in France also you just probably havent heard of one yet. Its an experience you have to not only witness for yourself but also open your heart mind and soul up to receiving whatever God want to give you.

I agree I am also pentacostal and the spirit moves like this in our church quite often, when this happens the pastor just prays over us and dismisses us because the Lord has already moved. Yes it is something you will need to experience for yourself, I encourage you to stay open to it.

Back