I'd like to find a church in So. Md Area? Long

InNeedofHairapy

I did not grow up in the church. My parents never really talked about religion, but they were raised in the church (my mom was raised catholic, and my dad was raised in a southern baptist church). While I don't remember being taught who God was, I never questioned that there was one, who he was, what his son did for me, etc; It was just KNOWN w/out question that there is a God.

Anyway, I'm grown now, and I want to go to church. I want to have a better relationship with God than I do now. The only problem is that since I don't have a "religion" I don't know what church to go to, or even what kind of church to look for. I've been to an Episcopal church, catholic church, non denomonational church, and they did not hive me "that" feeling when I went. My dad's church (which I only visited in summer's when I stayed w/ my Grandma) is the only church that I ever enjoyed attending.

Anyway, am I supposed to church hop until I find the church I like? Where can I even look? ANy recommendations?

Ms Lala

I think it is wonderful that you want to develop a closer relationship with God. It is not about your denomination or religion but about KNOWING Him. Going to church definitely aids in that spiritual growth. When I first moved to MD I went to several churches throughout the DC metro area. First I suggest you pray and seek God that He may lead you to a church that will help you to grow. Second, all churches are (or atleast should be) supporting each other as one in the body of Christ so I think it's perfectly ok for you to go visit until you find the one that suits you. I currently attend Tabernacle Church in Laurel, MD (nondenomninational). I also know people who attend Spirit of Faith Christian Center in temple hills, MD and they enjoy it (I am thinking about visiting here). Both of these churches have website if you do a search.
Do you know what it is about your father's church that you like when you visit? If it is the personal connection it will take time to develop this sometimes at a new church. If is other things determine what they are, this may help you in your quest.
I just pray now that the Spirit will lead you to a church where they are worshiping the Father in spirit and in truth. I pray that you will rest in Him about finding a church and not be worried about it. I pray that you feel loved and welcomed at your new church. I also pray that He will lead you to a place that will provide you with solid teaching that will help stir up what is inside you so you might develop a closer relationship with HIm and become mature spiritually. In His name Amen.

sorry so long

imani97

First Baptist Church of Glen Arden is phenomenal! I was a member there before I moved to NY. I bet if you visit, you'll fall in love.

Ms Lala

I went to First Baptist for about a year. I really enjoyed the classes that they had during the week. I learned alot!