Help - Joico K-Pak or Aphogee

ShashaUK

Hi Ladies.

2 weeks ago I had my natural hair relaxed after being natural for 3 years. My stylist used Affirm normal mixed with Affirm 5 in 1 reconstructor. She left it on for quite some time about 40 mins in total. I thought it was a bit long but because she said she was mixing it with the conditioner I though it would be OK.

My main concern during the whole process was the amount of heat she used to style my hair: She blowdried with comb the attachment, she blowdried with a brush and THEN used curling irons from a stove. Not surprisingly my hair smelled a bit burnt afterwards but looked great! It was straight, shiney bouncy etc and was fine for about 5 days -but now I have serious breakage. I've been moisturizing it like crazy, I've washed and deep conditioned with Motions CPR twice and the hair is OK for about 3 days then the breakage returns. I think I need to do a serious protein treatment like Joico K-Pak or Aphogee. What do you think? Also, which one of the two do you think would help?

Many thanks

Thanks

sithembile

ShashaUk,

I think K-Pak would be better, I used it once and it really helped, just be sure to use a moisturing conditioner afterwards. Also, nexxux emergencee is good for stopping breakage. HTH....

ShashaUK

Hello sithembile

Thank you for replying - I might give the Joico K Pak a go. Did you sit under the dryer with it on and if so for how long?

Thanks

sithembile

I sat under a dryer for 20 mins, rinsed then used Keracare humecto, sat under the dryer for another 20 minutes. Good luck!

joyous

First of all your stylist left the relaxer on to long. Secondly, did she do a strand test before she relaxed, she should have? Girl, last but not least you said you thought it was a bit long...SPEAK UP....this is YOUR crowning glory and never let anyone abuse it. Up top of that she had the nerve to use all that heat. You need MAJOR moisture. I think I would concentrate on that, try conditioner washes. Also try to manipulate your hair as less as possible. You may have to moisturize more than once a day. As far as the Aphoghee, even though it is for breakage I think it would be a little severe right now. I've never tried the Joico K-Pak but do a search and I'm sure you can find some info on it. Sorry about your hair and I wish I had more answers.

ShashaUK

Thanks for the tips Sithembile - I'll follow your steps.

Hello Joyous

You are right - I should have opened my mouth! And No she didn't do a strand test. I don't think I'll go back to her - I think I would rather risk jacking my hair up myself - I'll only have myself to blame then!

Anyway I agree its moisture that I'm lacking right now because as I said before when I wash my hair it is OK for about 3 days then the breakage starts again.

I'll get the Joico K Pak asap.

Thanks again to you both.

Dasha

Joico K-pak is a protein conditoner. Maybe u should look for something more moisturizing right now. If you like the joico line they make a moisturizing conditioner called Joico Moisturizer Intensive Moisturizing Treatment. I have used this before and offer one tip of advice. You should probably use a rinse or a detangler after using this conditioner. Joico makes some great ones.

Integrity

sorry for that sasha. you have had good advice. speak up next time and ask for a roller set after a touch up to seal in moisture. which salon did u go to please?

ShashaUK

Hi Dasha and Pandora

Dasha - Thank you I appreciatie yours and all the other responses I have had. I will definitely look at, and use something from the Joico range.

Pandora - Went to a salon called Expressions of Hair in London. I must admit I didn't even see any rollers in that salon. It was very busy on the day of my appointment and EVERYONE was blowdried and had curling irons put on their hair. It was SMOKING! I'ts been a long time sine I've been to a hairdresser and I've learnt from my recent mistake! I can't trust anyone but myself with my hair. The irony is I was going to do it myself but was too scared in case I jacked it up. LOL.

Thanks again
ShaSha

hairfanatic

[ QUOTE ]
She left it on for quite some time about 40 mins in total

[/ QUOTE ]

She did what?
That was waaaay too long to leave a relaxer even on. IMO...please find a new stylist, this one is definately going to kill your hair. As far as conditioner is concerned,I never used the Joico K-Pak. I have used the Aphogee and it worked exactly the way it was suppose to, but but everyone is different. You might have to just try them both and see which one you like the best.

katie

Maybe you should start washing more often.My hair gets progressively drier the longer I take to wash it and it breaks.Therefore I now wash 3 times a week with much reduced breakage.Two of those washes are conditioner-only washes.
Also I find the Profectiv line of moisturizers helps a lot with dryness and hence breakage.I like RootHealth alot.

And a protein treatment definitely sounds good if you just relaxed your hair recently.Followed by a good super moisturizing condtioner of course.

ShashaUK

Thanks katie

I agree with the more frequent washings I am washing 3 x weekly now to combat the dryness and breakage.

I did the Joico K-Pak protein treatment (20 mins with heat) followed by 20 mins with Herbal Essences Conditioning Balm (with heat) on Friday - although the breakage hasn't stopped it has certainly improved - it has really slowed down.

Thanks for the tip about the Protectiv Line - will look into it.

ShaSha