Help Me Before I Freak Out!!! (Pics for incentive!)

BrockStar

Ok. So I got my hair blown out at the salon and it looked really good! I also got some inches trimmed off as well (about 3-4.) I'll attach a picture below. BUT, I just washed it and SO MUCH hair came out as I was shampooing. Literally like pieces. Definitely more than usual.

So my question:
When you get your hair straightened, does a lot of hair usually come out when you wash it? I'm literally scared to touch it right now as it's deep conditioning.

Thank in advance. AHHHHH I'm going nutz ya'll!

Straight hair:
straight2-1.jpg

straighthair.jpg

Your hair looks great. Do you think they heat damaged your hair? I normally don't lose much hair after straightening?
If you don't mind me asking, why did you cut 3-4 inches?

See that's the weird part. My hair curled back up so I don't think heat damage is the problem. I was thinking maybe it was shedding, but then I was like "why didn't it shed while it was dry?"

I cut a bit b/c I never get a trim and usually do it myself and my ends were really uneven and jacked up :look:

I usually lose less hair when it's straight actually. Maybe seasonal shedding?Maybe some naturals who straighten more can come in and offer ideas .

not not usually

did you use a different shampoo? did you not comb your hair often while it was straight-if so could just be shedded hair

I dont know girl but your hair looks pretty, try not to freak out just get it in good condition after the straightening

No...it's not normal to lose chunks of hair when it's been heat straightened. Perhaps it just feels like more than it really is. As other pointed out, there's natural shedding and the changing seasons seem to bring on more for some folks.

Get some Apoghee 2 step (it hardens on your head) and do a good moisturizing condish immediately after using it.

See that's the weird part. My hair curled back up so I don't think heat damage is the problem. I was thinking maybe it was shedding, but then I was like "why didn't it shed while it was dry?"

I cut a bit b/c I never get a trim and usually do it myself and my ends were really uneven and jacked up :look:

Sometimes water has a way of pulling out the left over sheds you didn't get out w/ combing. I dry comb right before washing and the water does much of the work. Maybe that's the case here.

ive never had chunks of hair come out in straightening, and this is sorta another reason why i stay away from salons.

i think its shed hair from not combing as much when you're natural and now they're just shedding.

on the other hand, it could be your scalp is really dry, which I've noticed is more susceptible to hair breakage.
What did she use to straighten and did it use a lot of heat? may have traumatized your hair. Good thing you're deep conditioning, i really hope that helps a lot

I've never lost more hair after getting a blow out. I'm relaxed, not sure if that makes a difference or not in this case though lol.

Other than that, I hope it's just light shedding or maybe hairs that were caught up in your head after straightening.

And you and your hair are very pretty.

are the strands broken hair or whole entire strands?? I know when my hair is straightened I notive more whole-strans shedding when I comb thru my hair.

When my hair is curly I notice almost NO shedding - most of the hair gets caught in the rest of the fro and just sits.

When straightened, the hair slides out much easier & it feels like I'm shedding continuously, but it's really no different.

How does your scalp feel? If it's not really dry, or tender you're probably fine.

I dont know the answer but your hair looks great. When I had mine kinda straightened, I didnt loose any more hair than normal.

I notice a lot of shed hair after I've straightened, but that's because I don't generally don't comb my hair again until I wash. That could be 2 or 3 weeks.

How long as it between washes, and did you comb at all during that time?

When my hair is curly I notice almost NO shedding - most of the hair gets caught in the rest of the fro and just sits.

When straightened, the hair slides out much easier & it feels like I'm shedding continuously, but it's really no different.

How does your scalp feel? If it's not really dry, or tender you're probably fine.

yep. same here. :yep:

i hate that happened. hopefully it's nothing more than the shed hairs that didn't come out before. you hair is really pretty both curly and straight and btw you are such a cutie! so now you know i stalked your fotki and have a couple of q's.

what prods do you use on your hair curly? it looks so moisturized and defined? specifically from your 2008 edition pic #9????? i know you said ic fantasia gel, but what else? have you tried eco styler gel & if so which do you like better? do you shingle it in or how? TIA!

hurry girl, so i can copy :) lol

Last edited:
I'm so sorry that happened to your hair.. It sounds uncommon especially since you cut it... however, it could be shed hair since you wear it natural most of the time...btw... it's very very pretty!

Ok. So I got my hair blown out at the salon and it looked really good! I also got some inches trimmed off as well (about 3-4.) I'll attach a picture below. BUT, I just washed it and SO MUCH hair came out as I was shampooing. Literally like pieces. Definitely more than usual.

So my question:
When you get your hair straightened, does a lot of hair usually come out when you wash it? I'm literally scared to touch it right now as it's deep conditioning.

Thank in advance. AHHHHH I'm going nutz ya'll!

Straight hair:
straight2-1.jpg

straighthair.jpg
No, not at all. Did you do a protein treatment? That always help when I find that my hair is shedding more than usual...it ALWAYS help me.:yep: Your hair looks beautiful!

Ok I have an update. Thanks for all of your responses. I washed again today and there was still a lot more hair than usual that came out, but not as much as the first time. For some reason where I work, a lot of the students have hair like mine and get it blown out often. I asked some of them today about their hair and they said the same thing happens to them :ohwell: I'm going to leave it alone for a few days and watch. Here's the good news though:

Since my hair was super detangled, it looks SO much longer and is giving me the length I always wanted. So I'll just pray this shedding comes to a halt. Here's a pic of the length comparison before and after straightening.

comparehair-1.jpg

Before

IMG00115.jpg

After

all these thoughts were running through my head as i read through the thread, but then i saw that last curly picture and i lost my words. b-e-a-yooootiful!

That happens to me all the time. It is because I don't manipulate or comb my hair when it's straight. I'll just finger comb so when I wash I have more shedding than usual.

I usually lose less hair because my hair is not tangly because it's straight.

Btw, your hair looks so beautiful!

your hair grew sooo much! i love it! but mine does shed a little more when i wash it after its been straight vs my normal wash n go days... but never in chunks

I tend to shed a lot when the seasons change, maybe that's it? But your hair looks gorgeous though, bot straight and curly :yep:

the first thing i thought was wow.. that's the same thing that happened to Miss Norway when she came from the salon. But I'm glad to hear that it may not be a big issue as most of the ladies have already posted. BTW, I cant see the pics because I'm at wk and these computers never let me see pics, but if the ladies say it's beautiful, then i'm sure it is. cant wait to see it when i get home. Good luck with everything..

Back