Help Me With My Haircare Brochure! (Kinda Long..)

jkamiel

Hey Ladies!
I need your help :grin:!
I'm a college student and I'm doing a program on natural hair care and the implications of straightening our hair. That's kind of besides the point. I will be giving all the attendees a lil brochure at the end that'll hopefully give them the basics of healthy hair care.

No offense.. I'm not asking for YOUR staples.. when it comes to products but for healthy products that seem to work for many many Black women or tips that are all around great! I will paste the text of what I have so far below as well of images of what the brochure looks like.

-------------

Healthy Product Recommendations

Ditch the grease. Mineral oil and petrolatum are often found in grease and coat our hair, not allowing moisture to get to the hair.

Use water-based moisturizers and essential oils. Oil does not moisturize. It seals in moisture. Use a moisturizer; then follow with oil.

Ingredients to Avoid:

Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Alcohol, Sulfates

Ingredients that often work for Black women:
Shea butter, olive oil, glycerin, silk amino acids, coconut milk, honey, coconut oil, castor oil, tea tree oil, wheat protein, aloe vera juice/gel, cholesterol, egg,

Try to use products that have ingredients you can pronounce. Every product does not work for everyone. Find a few products that work well for you and try to gather a pattern from what ingredients are found in all of them. For example, some people’s hair does not respond well to protein; some people’s hair doesn’t like oils.

Products with Rave Reviews

Moisturizers: sta sof fro, African Royale brx braid spray, profectiv breakfree, Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream, Kids’ Organics Shea Butter Moisturizer
Oils: Castor oil, Jamaican black castor oil, extra virgin coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil
Butters: unrefined shea butter, mango butter
Shampoos:
Conditioners: Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Pak, Kenra MC, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
Heat Protectants: Chi Silk Infusion, Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide, Fantasia IC ?? , Sabino Moisture Block
Flat Irons: Maxiglide, Chi, Sedu, FHI

Popular Brands: Aubrey Organics, Jason, Carol’s Daughter, Miss Jessie’s, Qhemet Biologics, Joico, Oyin
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Black Hair Care Basics
Black hair is naturally prone to dryness.The reason why our hair is often short is because the ends break off as quick as our new growth comes in. The most important part of growing hair is moisturizing ESPECIALLY the ends. Tips:

· Eliminate heat or reduce its use. (blow drying, flat iron, etc..) Seriously. It makes a HUGE difference.
· Dyeing your hair dries it out. Stop. Henna is a natural method of coloring that may work for you.
· Deep condition each time you wash
· Moisturize AT LEAST daily, focusing on the ends
· Sleep with a satin bonnet/wrap/pillowcase
· Find a moisturizing shampoo or replace shampoo with conditioner. Shampoos with sulfates are often too drying and leave your hair stripped and dry.
· Protect your ends by moisturizing them constantly, tucking them away, and keeping your hair off clothes. As your ends swipe against your cotton clothes or are exposed to air, they become drier and more likely to break off.
· Keep your hair clean. If hair is dirty, products cannot get to the hair and scalp and pores may be becoming clogged.
· When washing, concentrate on the scalp, don’t rewash, and use cool water. Rewashing can equal dryness. Hot water strips natural oils in our hair.
· Don’t leave your weave or micros in for 3 months and think your hair will be long and flowing. You must wash your hair often and moisturize daily or your hair will still break off. Use a braid spray or spray moisturizer and redo some braids every couple weeks if you want to keep them in this long.
· Stop or reduce combing/brushing. Try detangling once or twice a month with a wide-toothed comb. Don’t use a fine-toothed comb to comb your hair. You can also try finger-combing instead of using a comb.
· Average hair growth for all races is .5 in per month. The way you treat your hair determines how much of that you retain and how much it breaks off.

So what widely used products/tips are missing?

Thanks in advance,
jkamiel

Last edited:

sweetpuff

Awesome project. I'll pm you on that.

For the advice, I believe you covered it all. We cannot stress enought the fact that every head is different and that what works for one could very well not work for another. I'd put that part in bold.

I command you for that project.

Casarela

I like the snapshot at your brochure!!!!! You may want to add that when heat abuse is reduced to a normal level ...less trims are needed. If trims are done too frequently that can result in your hair never showing lenght. Also, hair always grows but the main principle is to have healthy hair habits ( that youre actually listing) and techniques in order to retain lenght.

Hope I helped ,

Casarela

sweetpuff

Hey Ladies!

Healthy Product Recommendations

Ditch the grease. Mineral oil and petrolatum are often found in grease and coat our hair, not allowing moisture to get to the hair.

Use water-based moisturizers and essential oils. Oil does not moisturize. It seals in moisture. Use a moisturizer; then follow with oil.

Ingredients to Avoid:

Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Alcohol, Sulfates

Ingredients that often work for Black women:
Shea butter, olive oil, glycerin, silk amino acids, coconut milk, honey, coconut oil, castor oil, tea tree oil, wheat protein, aloe vera juice/gel, cholesterol, egg, Jojoba oil

Try to use products that have ingredients you can pronounce. Every product does not work for everyone. Find a few products that work well for you and try to gather a pattern from what ingredients are found in all of them. For example, some people’s hair does not respond well to protein; some people’s hair doesn’t like oils.

Products with Rave Reviews

Moisturizers: sta sof fro, African Royale brx braid spray, profectiv breakfree, Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream, Kids’ Organics Shea Butter Moisturizer
Oils: Castor oil, Jamaican black castor oil, extra virgin coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil
Butters: unrefined shea butter, mango butter
Shampoos:
Conditioners: Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Pak, Kenra MC, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
Heat Protectants: Chi Silk Infusion, Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide, Fantasia IC ?? , Sabino Moisture Block
Flat Irons: Maxiglide, Chi, Sedu, FHI

Popular Brands: Aubrey Organics, Jason, Carol’s Daughter, Miss Jessie’s, Qhemet Biologics, Joico, Oyin
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Black Hair Care Basics
Black hair is naturally prone to dryness.The reason why our hair is often short is because the ends break off as quick as our new growth comes in. The most important part of growing hair is moisturizing ESPECIALLY the ends. Tips:

· Eliminate heat or reduce its use. (blow drying, flat iron, etc..) Seriously. It makes a HUGE difference.
· Dyeing your hair dries it out. Stop. Henna is a natural method of coloring that may work for you.
· Deep condition each time you wash
· Moisturize AT LEAST daily, focusing on the ends
· Sleep with a satin bonnet/wrap/pillowcase
· Find a moisturizing shampoo or replace shampoo with conditioner. Shampoos with sulfates are often too drying and leave your hair stripped and dry. Shampoos are made to wash the scalp. Conditionners take care of the hair shaft.
· Protect your ends by moisturizing them constantly, tucking them away, and keeping your hair off clothes. As your ends swipe against your cotton clothes or are exposed to air, they become drier and more likely to break off.
· Keep your hair clean. If hair is dirty, products cannot get to the hair and scalp and pores may be becoming clogged.
· When washing, concentrate on the scalp, don’t rewash, and use cool water. Rewashing can equal dryness. Hot water strips natural oils in our hair.
· Don’t leave your weave or micros in for 3 months and think your hair will be long and flowing. You must wash your hair often and moisturize daily or your hair will still break off. Use a braid spray or spray moisturizer and redo some braids every couple weeks if you want to keep them in this long.
· Stop or reduce combing/brushing. Try detangling once or twice a month with a wide-toothed comb. Don’t use a fine-toothed comb to comb your hair. You can also try finger-combing instead of using a comb.
· Average hair growth for all races is .5 in per month. The way you treat your hair determines how much of that you retain and how much it breaks off.

So what widely used products/tips are missing?

Thanks in advance,
jkamiel

I hope this helps

Sui Topi

I think you should also explain the proper use of silicones, for example clarifying them off your hair every once in a while so that your hair is not completely sealed off. Some people stay away, but you can effectively use silicones.

RedVelvet310

Great brochure, but under things to avoid you put alcohol, aren't there good alcohols and bad alcohols? I think you should give the readers an example of what good alcohols are (ex. cetyl alcohol I believe is good alcohol) and what bad alcohols are. Or else they might avoid using some really good moisturizing conditioners that us lhcf-ers all know and love.

HTH

P.S. your brochure looks GREAT Can you make a printable version for us lhcf ladies? :look:

jkamiel

Thanks everyone for the responses so far!

I think you should also explain the proper use of silicones, for example clarifying them off your hair every once in a while so that your hair is not completely sealed off. Some people stay away, but you can effectively use silicones.

I really don't know the in's and out's of that.. all i've gathered is that cone's can coat the hair and not allow other products to do their job.. thus you must clarify with a shampoo/baking soda to get rid of that coating. Is that right? I know there must be a better way to say that...

Great brochure, but under things to avoid you put alcohol, aren't there good alcohols and bad alcohols? I think you should give the readers an example of what good alcohols are (ex. cetyl alcohol I believe is good alcohol) and what bad alcohols are. Or else they might avoid using some really good moisturizing conditioners that us lhcf-ers all know and love.

HTH

P.S. your brochure looks GREAT Can you make a printable version for us lhcf ladies? :look:

Thanks! and what are some good alcohols/bad alcohols? This is an awesome point. Isn't cetyl alchohol just an emulsifier?

BostonMaria

What a great project! I would just mention that our hair is very dry and that's why we need to moisturize it often or otherwise it could lead to breakage.

I would also mention protective styles to retain length and maybe a bullet on how you should never detangle knots with dry hair. Good luck on your project!!!! What a great cause.

Sui Topi

I really don't know the in's and out's of that.. all i've gathered is that cone's can coat the hair and not allow other products to do their job.. thus you must clarify with a shampoo/baking soda to get rid of that coating. Is that right? I know there must be a better way to say that...

I guess I would say.....Another ingredient to be on the look out for is silicone. There are various types, and they usually go under names such as; dimethicone, ____________(I'm sorry lol I don't know the other names...just that they end in 'cone'). They can usually be found in conditioners, leave in conditioners, and styling aids, such as heat protectants. Silicones can be very beneficial to hair, but one must understand how to properly use them. Silicones provide a smooth barrier along the hair shaft that can be noticed immediately during use. They artificially seal and smooth down the cuticle of the hair giving it a silky feel. They provide a barrier that can protect the hair from heat and various attacks on hair health, however build up can lead to parched, limp hair due to moisture and other detrimental hair needs (I don't know if that is grammatically correct or makes sense lol) also being blocked from the hair shaft. Ever have a product that works amazing for the first few weeks and then flips the script on you? Excessive build up from silicones can also hinder the effects of your products. The product no longer has access to your hair and is pretty much working on the silicone layer instead of your hair. To use silicones in a healthy manner, one must have a balance. You have to routinely strip the silicones from your hair by using a clarifying shampoo. Conventional clarifying shampoos which can be found in the drug store are generally too harsh for our delicate hair. Instead, opt for a shampoo that contains coco-betaine (I think that is what it is called :perplexed) like 'Burt's Bees Raspberry Honey Moisturizing something something something...(I can't remember what it is really called, but that is the shampoo I am on the look out for :look:) Shampoo'. ( You can search on the board and find some others too, or even look for some other ingredients that can clean off cones gently). If you are brave, you can just use a regular, SLS containing drug store shampoo, but be sure to follow up with an intense deep conditioning, and do not use it too often as it will dry out your hair.

Last edited:

vkb247

It sounds like a great project but I definitely thing you should emphasize that black hair is more fragile then other types of hair---that is why it needs extra moisture and care. With proper techniques it can grow long. Also include information about sleeping with a satin scarf, bonnet, or pillowcase and sleeping with hair up in a way that won't cause damage is necessary. Most people don't know how bad (drying) cotton is for hair that goes for clothing and bedding.

I think that you should be more specific about ingredients to avoid and why for instance instead if saying sulfates I would list the type of sulfates (sodium laureth/lauryl sulfate) and explain that these ingredients are intended to prevent product build up particularly for hair types that get oily.

The brochure looks great. I would love a copy when your done. You are going to tell people a lot of things they are not used to so be prepared to answering all their questions/arguments with good answers. That will prove you know your stuff and are credible. HTH!

santwon

I think you should include a few tips specifically for women who relax, loose naturals, tex-ers, weave wearers, color-treated people, and locers as well. Just a real quick summation of things that specifically apply to those crowds.

Sui Topi

Thanks! and what are some good alcohols/bad alcohols? This is an awesome point. Isn't cetyl alchohol just an emulsifier?

I think you should include a few tips specifically for women who relax, loose naturals, tex-ers, weave wearers, color-treated people, and locers as well. Just a real quick summation of things that specifically apply to those crowds.

lol she is going to end up with a book. The black woman's hair is so diversified.

jkamiel

lol she is going to end up with a book. The black woman's hair is so diversified.

hahaha yeah.i'm already about out of space... i just need the basics/most important things to finish it; and i'm sure ppl don't want to be reading more than two pages. that's kind of overwhelming. they want more info, i can def. show them where to look

..oh.. and i have a section on top tips for relaxed and top tips for natural women. its probably hard to see in the image

Trace

How about adding under the basic care section the importance of good nutrition and recommended water intake? I know you are trying to keep in under two pages so it's just a thought! :drunk:

jkamiel

Thanks everyone! If anyone would like an e-mail copy, please PM me for it! I'll be done with the brochure today or tomorrow.