HELP! My daughter is pulling her hair out!

kbragg

Hi again ladies. I have a 3 year old who LOVES to twirl her little ringlets around her fingers. Unfortunately she does it by habbit to the point that she actually will twirl it until it gets into these HUGE knots and twist RIGHT OFF!:eek: It's very frustrating becase she has beautiful natural hair, but now she's starting to lose hair around the edges. I was thinking of using the Odorless MTG but is it safe for kids? Thanks in advance for the feedback.:)

Here's a pic of my girls

My 3yr old is on the left, her hair is APL stretched. My 8 yr old on the right is somewhere between mid back length and waist length stretched! Yes mommy is jealous!:lachen:

amina kamal

Your 3 year old is a spittin image of you!! They are both beautiful. I used to do that to my own hair and embarassingly didnt stop until a few years ago. Its a behavioral thing I did it most when I was stressed out. Why don't you try rewarding her for going a whole day without pulling her hair etc, to give her incentive to stop without making her feel self conscious about it.

MzOptimistic

kbragg said:
Hi again ladies. I have a 3 year old who LOVES to twirl her little ringlets around her fingers. Unfortunately she does it by habbit to the point that she actually will twirl it until it gets into these HUGE knots and twist RIGHT OFF!:eek: It's very frustrating becase she has beautiful natural hair, but now she's starting to lose hair around the edges. I was thinking of using the Odorless MTG but is it safe for kids? Thanks in advance for the feedback.:)

Here's a pic of my girls

My 3yr old is on the left, her hair is APL stretched. My 8 yr old on the right is somewhere between mid back length and waist length stretched! Yes mommy is jealous!:lachen:

I would highly recommend NOT using the MTG on little girls hair...Some women have allergic reactions to MTG. Women have reported getting rashes on their body or huge pimples on their body...I myself got a rash on my chest from using MTG...I still use it occasionally but haven't used it in months because of laziness..but anyway...I have a 3 year old also and I would not put MTG in her hair...JMHO:)

Royal Glory

kbragg said:

Here's a pic of my girls

They are precious little girls!

I would put the little one's hair up in a pony tail or braid so that she can't reach it to twirl it. Try styling it this way long enough that she breaks the habit. You can also alternate between ponytails and pig tails so that the pull is not in the same place all the time.

I hope this helps!

MzOptimistic

Royal Glory said:

I would put the little one's hair up in a pony tail or braid so that she can't reach it to twirl it. Try styling it this way long enough that she breaks the habit. You can also alternate between ponytails and pig tails so that the pull is not in the same place all the time.

I hope this helps!

Good idea,

I was thinking the same thing as far as the ponytails goes and braids...you can give her little ponytails and she shouldn't be able to pull her out then.:)

Kimberly

Royal Glory said:

I hope this helps!

My first thought was to put a hat on her...but these suggestions are good...:)

KiSseS03

First of all your daughters are beautiful, but I agree with the ladies... please, please, please don't put MTG in your baby's hair! I would put her hair in a braided style such as cornrows, that will last for at least a few days.

divinefavor

Hey girl!

It's so good seeing you over here at the boards. I'm so used to seeing you on the work at home mom board. I just wanted to say Hi and welcome to LHCF!

Antonina

kbragg

divinefavor said:
Hey girl!

It's so good seeing you over here at the boards. I'm so used to seeing you on the work at home mom board. I just wanted to say Hi and welcome to LHCF!

Antonina

Hey girl! Long time no see! I like it much better here, better atmosphere!:)

divinefavor

kbragg said:
Hey girl! Long time no see! I like it much better here, better atmosphere!:)

Yes, it is a totally different atmosphere here. We're more like a family here and mostly everyone is willing to help and answer questions.

P

patient1

My two year old does this. Like your daughter, she has a LOT of hair that stretches down her back when wet and reaches for the heavens when dry. I love how she looks when her hair is loose and so does the public, but she's always grabbing at her hair. So I've taken to keeping it braided etc so that she can't do so.

BTW, your hubby reminds me of K-Fed.

p1

kbragg

patient1 said:
BTW, your hubby reminds me of K-Fed.

p1

I told Joshua what you said and he was mad at first!:mad: Then I showed him K-fed's website and what he looks like now and he said, "Ok, I guess it's a compliment!":lachen: Only K-fed pics we ever saw were the country/ghetto pics when him and Brittany first got married!:lachen:

angellazette

I wouldn't recommend using the MTG on her head. Even if you do use it and it grows back, she's still going to pull it right back out! It just seems like you'll have to get her out of the habit of pulling it out. I don't have any other suggestions besides putting it up and away.

kbragg

Thanks everyone for the tips! I've tried the pony tail route but she just takes those out. I've done braids before, will have to give that a shot again! Gotta break this bad habit of hers!:mad: While we're at it, a bit OT, but does anybody know how to get her to stop sucking her 2 fingers (middle and ring finger)??? I really don't want her to be like that guy on "Making The Band" who still sucked his thumb!:ohwell: She actually puts teethmarks and little "dents" on her fingers. We tried hot sauce...welll now she wants hot sauce on all her food like her daddy!(thanks a LOT Joshua!):lachen: She takes off gloves and learns to like the flavor of anything we put on her hand! She's been doing all this stuff since she was knitted together in my womb! (Seriously, she was sucking on them same 2 fingers when we went in for my first ultrasound during my pregnancy with her.) The hair twirly thing is more my fault, I used to twirl her hair an massage her scalp when I nursed her, hoping that her hair would grow!:( My poor baby looked like a little boy for the first year of her life!

See -----> http://kbragg.photosite.com/album1/Kayla1.html That's the most feminine she looked!

Thank God that her hair has grown out and her color has come in! I really got tired of people asking me who's baby she was!:mad: :mad: :mad:

hopeful

amina kamal said:
Your 3 year old is a spittin image of you!! They are both beautiful. I used to do that to my own hair and embarassingly didnt stop until a few years ago. Its a behavioral thing I did it most when I was stressed out. Why don't you try rewarding her for going a whole day without pulling her hair etc, to give her incentive to stop without making her feel self conscious about it.

How did you stop? Please share:).

@ the OP, you have a beautiful family! Wish I had some advice. Good luck.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
kbragg said:
Thanks everyone for the tips! I've tried the pony tail route but she just takes those out. I've done braids before, will have to give that a shot again! Gotta break this bad habit of hers!:mad: While we're at it, a bit OT, but does anybody know how to get her to stop sucking her 2 fingers (middle and ring finger)??? I really don't want her to be like that guy on "Making The Band" who still sucked his thumb!:ohwell: She actually puts teethmarks and little "dents" on her fingers. We tried hot sauce...welll now she wants hot sauce on all her food like her daddy!(thanks a LOT Joshua!):lachen: She takes off gloves and learns to like the flavor of anything we put on her hand! She's been doing all this stuff since she was knitted together in my womb! (Seriously, she was sucking on them same 2 fingers when we went in for my first ultrasound during my pregnancy with her.) The hair twirly thing is more my fault, I used to twirl her hair an massage her scalp when I nursed her, hoping that her hair would grow!:( My poor baby looked like a little boy for the first year of her life!

See -----> http://kbragg.photosite.com/album1/Kayla1.html That's the most feminine she looked!

Thank God that her hair has grown out and her color has come in! I really got tired of people asking me who's baby she was!:mad: :mad: :mad:

It may not be a habit though. For some people it's an actual medical disorder. It's called trichotillomania. I have it and I've had it since I was a kid, just didn't know what it was. It's extremely hard to control and I struggle w/ it daily. It can get really excessive for some people, leaving bald spots and thin patches. I would suggest keeping her hair tyed up or braided at all times so it's out of reach. I'm not trying to scare you with this post but maybe it can help you out. I wish I had known about it a long time ago.

Ebonygurl00

I used to do this when I was little, too. My mom bought an Elmo doll and told me if I stopped twirling my hair, she'd it to me. I stopped the next day, lol, and she gave it to me, but told me if I started twirling my hair again, she'd take it away from me. I still have it. :grin: Maybe you could try something like that on your daughter?

NessaNessa

kbragg said:

Girl, I sucked my thumb until I was tired of it, lets say maybe 14 or 15-ish. I used to have those dents in my thumb as well. Some folk grow out of it, others dont. Crazy you ask this, because I was on my way to Loehmans today and saw a grown 40-ish woman driving with one hand and sucking her thumb of the other hand LOL!!!! :lachen: No joke !! BTW- My mom tried everything you mentioned and it didnt work. I sucked until I got tired of my darn thumb hurting :lol: