My baby said she loves her (natural) hair

hopeful

She is 6 1/2. After I took her braids down I took her into the bathroom to look in the mirror and told her how beautiful her hair was. At first she said my hair looks crazy. But I told her no, it is beautiful. I said look at it. I told her that our hair did not grow down, but up, toward the stars. I put her fingers on her coils and said feel them. She smiled. Then I shampoo'd and conditioned her hair.

That's when she said, Mommy, I love my hair.

Then she and I made up a hair style. Twists in the back, a puff on top, and one twist hanging in the front. Her back twists almost reach armpit when stretched. She shook those little twists with so much pride. I told her to always remember how beautiful her hair is and that God did not make any mistakes. I told her to never let anyone make her not like her hair. I told her that her hair could do things that other people's couldn't.

I'm just glad I'm finally getting it right...

Healthb4Length

Aww...very inspiring! I'm so glad that you are instilling the proper attitude about loving her natural hair texture. I wish more would do the same. WTG MOM!

DMarie

That was sooo beautiful. I hope to one day have a daughter whom I hope to tell something very similar. Now I feel bad cause I literally just ordered a relaxer again.

DMarie

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Awww, isn't that just lovely. I'm soo happy I have a child/children who were always taught to love themselves no matter what their texture or style is. It's good to teach them young, start while their in the womb, lol, because other children and grown folks for that matter can be so harsh.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
WTG Mom!!!Good job!! :up: I plan on doing the same thing with my daughter. Right now she has no appreciation for haircare (she's only 2 y/o) :cool:

KathyMay

It is a good thing when little girls grow up appreciating their natural hair. I am glad that your little girl loves her hair. I am striving that my little one has love for her natural hair when she gets older.

wadadligyal

Oh what a beautiful mother daughter moment!!!!! That's good she will learn to appreciate her hair and the older she gets she'll take care of it better. One time for us appreciating our beautiful hair!!!!:D

so1913

hopeful said:
She is 6 1/2. After I took her braids down I took her into the bathroom to look in the mirror and told her how beautiful her hair was. At first she said my hair looks crazy. But I told her no, it is beautiful. I said look at it. I told her that our hair did not grow down, but up, toward the stars. I put her fingers on her coils and said feel them. She smiled. Then I shampoo'd and conditioned her hair.

Then she and I made up a hair style. Twists in the back, a puff on top, and one twist hanging in the front. Her back twists almost reach armpit when stretched. She shook those little twists with so much pride. I told her to always remember how beautiful her hair is and that God did not make any mistakes. I told her to never let anyone make her not like her hair. I told her that her hair could do things that other people's couldn't.

Awwww!!!!!! I love it!

sky_blu

I love my daughters natural hair too! Hopefully she'll love it too when she gets aware of it. I plan not to relax her ever.

Cheleigh

Oh Hopeful--
I got teary-eyed reading your post. I hope that if I have a daughter, I can instill in her the same respect for the beauty of her hair. Hopefully, it will help that I'll be natural too, and she can "look like mommy." :)

Aubergold

hopeful said:

that's perfect!:D

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Hopeful, that's such a great story.:D I wish my mom had done that with me. I grew up hating my natural hair because my mom didn't know how to take care of my hair and made bad comments about it. That led to 20+ yrs of relaxed hair. If I only knew how beautiful my natural hair was, maybe I would've stayed natural. Who knows.:rolleyes:

JazzyDez

Cheleigh said:
Oh Hopeful--
I got teary-eyed reading your post. I hope that if I have a daughter, I can instill in her the same respect for the beauty of her hair. Hopefully, it will help that I'll be natural too, and she can "look like mommy." :)

Me too that was such a sweet story! I wish there were more moms like that out there to instill that type of love of self and confidence into their children. Doing those types of things will definately help your child to become a strong & confident young lady.

MissYocairis

hopeful said:

Girl, you almost had me over here crying reading that! :)

MJ

awww... a wonderful memory that will last a lifetime. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

StartinOvah

that was very sweet and inspiring. i wish my mom had a better attitude about my hair when i was younger. although she didn't want me to get a perm (i remember begging her!), when i presented her with the reasons why i should get it (reverting and her not having to hot comb it), she gave in.

i think if i was taught more self love on a whole as a child, i would have loved my hair when it was natural or relaxed. i just started learning to love my hair when i came to this site. now i need to work on loving the rest of me! i'm glad you are teaching her at such a young age.

beyondcute

Thats beautiful! Make sure she keeps hearing it. Also let her know that she is beautiful. I think alot of young girls get insecure when they dont hear it enough and when the wrong guy comes along and says it they jump on him :lol: Atleast thats the way I was ;)

hopeful

StartinOvah said:
that was very sweet and inspiring. i wish my mom had a better attitude about my hair when i was younger. although she didn't want me to get a perm (i remember begging her!), when i presented her with the reasons why i should get it (reverting and her not having to hot comb it), she gave in.

i think if i was taught more self love on a whole as a child, i would have loved my hair when it was natural or relaxed. i just started learning to love my hair when i came to this site. now i need to work on loving the rest of me! i'm glad you are teaching her at such a young age.

Yes! Working on teaching her, my older daughter, and myself to love ourselves completely. We have to do it for ourselves. The real world can be cruel.

RabiaElaine

hopeful said:

You're a wonderful mother! I know a lot of young black girls could have used that talk when they were 6, I know I could have. My mother always told me to be proud of my hair but then never really showed me how to really take care of it.

You are making a world of difference in your daughter's hair. :)

hopeful

beyondcute said:
Thats beautiful! Make sure she keeps hearing it. Also let her know that she is beautiful. I think alot of young girls get insecure when they dont hear it enough and when the wrong guy comes along and says it they jump on him :lol: Atleast thats the way I was ;)

She's kinda got the beautiful thing down, been telling her that from the beginning and lol she really believes it!:lol: And it's not like I've ever put her hair down but I have not made a concerted effort on complimenting the hair in particular. Thank goodness for LHCF. I've learned so much about our hair in general, and natural, kinky, coily hair in particular. LOL you don't know what you don't know. Thanks so much for posting beyondcute, just realizing how adorable your screen name is.:)

hopeful

Thanks everyone whose posted so far. I was just so happy and proud when she said she loved her hair. She is a very confident chica, thinks she cute, funny, nice, smart, and says it, but this is the first time she showed that kind of love and pride for her hair. I'm going to make a ritual out of honoring our hair.

Getting ready to go out of town so may not be able to post for the next week. But TIA to any other posters, I love ya'll:kiss: , lol who else would have understood our "moment" so well?:)

Divine Inspiration

:clap: Kudos to you Hopeful for breaking the cycle so many of us dealt with...being told that our "nappy" hair was an unacceptable mess. She's lucky to have a mommy like you. :yep: