HELP!!! My rommate needs you!!! pics included!

smwrigh3

I know that everyday on this forum there are hundreds of women giving out tons of advice and I am hoping that someone out there who can help a dear friend of mine!!!!!! I LOVE HER TO DEATH but she is have some MAJOR HAIR ISSUES.. SHE IS SITTING BESIDE ME SO WE CAN FIGURE OUT WHY HER HAIR IS BREAKING OFF .... THE BEST WE CAN DO IS LIST HER ENTIRE MONTHLY ROUTINE!!!

Wash hair once a week in this order: (Staples)
-Aphogee shampoo for damaged hair
-Paul Mitchell's special tree tea
-Paul Mitchell's special conditioner
-Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor (but recently stopped 2 weeks ago)
-ORS Replenishing Pak
-NO HEAT!!! (2 WEEKS) :yep:
-Braid outs!

Recently added to regi:
-Cantu After shampoo rinse out conditioner (she though it was a leave so she didn't rinse out)
-V05 tea therapy nourishing conditioner

Monthly Regi
Aphogee Protein treatment and balancing moisturizer (every 6 weeks +) DID THIS TODAY!!!!

Daily - but in all honesty she might miss a day or two or three :wallbash::wallbash:
-ORS OIL MOISTURIZER, sealed with queen helene Good To Gro thickening oil

pics of ALL products! some semi used and therefore not mentioned....

all help will be considered!! Thanks!!!

Attachments

• SDC11000.JPG
    SDC11000.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 31
  • SDC11001.JPG
    SDC11001.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 26
  • SDC11002.JPG
    SDC11002.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 20
  • SDC11003.JPG
    SDC11003.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Rapunzel*

has she been stressing a lot?
hows her diet?
does she drink plenty of water?
does she wrap her hair up at night?

we need to know more

sweetpuff

Is it shed hair (white bulb) or broken hair?
is it relaxed hair? if so when was the last time she got a touch up and how did the hair respond the following days?

did she suffer an extreme amount of stress lately?

note: maybe I'm just saying this because I'm more of a moisture girl but that seems a lot of protein per week...
tea tree+ other shampoo = a lot of stripping away your natural oils... 1 shampoo is ok.

I'd like to know what other advice other people might give you. In the Meantime, big hugs to both of you:bighug:

smwrigh3

Is it shed hair (white bulb) or broken hair?
is it relaxed hair? if so when was the last time she got a touch up and how did the hair respond the following days?

did she suffer an extreme amount of stress lately?

note: maybe I'm just saying this because I'm more of a moisture girl but that seems a lot of protein per week...
tea tree+ other shampoo = a lot of stripping away your natural oils... 1 shampoo is ok.

I'd like to know what other advice other people might give you. In the Meantime, big hugs to both of you:bighug:

thanks for the hugs:yep:.. The hair is broken.. I am a BIG moisture girl as well so I don't know what to tell her.. :perplexed

smwrigh3

has she been stressing a lot?
hows her diet?
does she drink plenty of water?
does she wrap her hair up at night?

we need to know more

Stress: a lil more than usual
Diet: normal college student open to interpretation :drunk:
Water: what's that :ohwell:
Silk scarf... EVERY SINGLE NIGHT

fluffylocks

I know that everyday on this forum there are hundreds of women giving out tons of advice and I am hoping that someone out there who can help a dear friend of mine!!!!!! I LOVE HER TO DEATH but she is have some MAJOR HAIR ISSUES.. SHE IS SITTING BESIDE ME SO WE CAN FIGURE OUT WHY HER HAIR IS LITERALLY FALLING OUT (AND I do mean clumps) AND BREAKING OFF.... THE BEST WE CAN DO IS LIST HER ENTIRE MONTHLY ROUTINE!!!

Wash hair once a week in this order: (Staples)
-Aphogee shampoo for damaged hair
-Paul Mitchell's special tree tea
-Paul Mitchell's special conditioner
-Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor (but recently stopped 2 weeks ago)
-ORS Replenishing Pak
-NO HEAT!!! (2 WEEKS) :yep:
-Braid outs!

Recently added to regi:
-Cantu After shampoo rinse out conditioner (she though it was a leave so she didn't rinse out)
-V05 tea therapy nourishing conditioner

Monthly Regi
Aphogee Protein treatment and balancing moisturizer (every 6 weeks +) DID THIS TODAY!!!!

Daily - but in all honesty she might miss a day or two or three :wallbash::wallbash:
-ORS OIL MOISTURIZER, sealed with queen helene Good To Gro thickening oil

pics of ALL products! some semi used and therefore not mentioned....

all help will be considered!! Thanks!!!

Hey!!!!!!

For the falling out in clumps...IDK, I think that might be stress.

But for the breakage, I think there is too much protien in the regimen and/or there needs to be more moisturizing products.

Aphogee shampoo I believe has protien or is drying, the tea tree conditoner might not be moisturizing enough, the aphogee 2min is protien, the replenishing might be considered a light protien (and I dont know about the ORS lotion) ...the cantu if its like one of there products I had might be alittle drying/protienish, and the v05 you depending on what she's using it for may not be moisturizing enough. Also the balancing moisturizer w/aphogee really isnt that moisturizng for alot of people.

I would cut out the paul mitchel products

Find a more moisturizing shampoo (cream of nature, keracare hydrating, roux)

And just use the ORS as a deepconditoner

For the Aphogee 2min, I would use as before shampooing 1x a week, or do it every other week, or do it only when you feel its needed inbetween the major aphogee 6 week treatment

After rinsing out the ORS conditoner, I would just use a moisturizing hair lotion and oil (or if a leavein is desired, probally just a light spray moisturizing one)

Filmatic

I am thinking it may be too much protein and not enough moisture. I would try adding a moisturizing DC to it. Does she need the Aphogee weekly? Is her hair really damaged? Is it feeling dry?

Rapunzel*

Stress: a lil more than usual
Diet: normal college student open to interpretation :drunk:
Water: what's that :ohwell:
Silk scarf... EVERY SINGLE NIGHT

stress caused me breakage in the past, and i know about the college diet as well lol, tell her to at least drink 64 oz of water daily. im glad shes ties her head at night. maybe shes getting too much protien treatments and not enough moisture

msa

That is alot of protein.

Aphogee 2 min, Aphogee hard core, ORS repleninshing pack (light, but still), and cantu.
They all have protein. It doesn't seem like she has anything that's truly moisturizing.

I'm natural so if she's relaxed I can't really help. But I do know, whether relaxed or natural, with all that protein she needs a super moisturizing deep conditioner. I would do a search to find some. I use all natural products and what I've found that is moisturizing for me is a mixture of honey and olive oil (you can add banana baby food if you want).

lexi84

If its breakage then its too much protein. Lay off the protein. I can tell by the list of products and how often they're being used that there isnt enough moisture and too much protein.

If its shedding, in clumps like you said, she may need to see a doctor. There could be something internally wrong with her....or it could be something as simple as stress.

Miamori

I cosign with everyone who's said cut the protein and add more moisture.

I am relaxed and my hair is colored and my hair loves protein. I agree that the protein is part of the issue though in regards to the breakage.

I have been stressed lately and have increased shedding, so maybe that is part of her problem. My hair isn't falling out in clumps though (instead of pulling say... 5 strands out on the daily I now get 20-30... more on wash days though because I don't mess with / brush through my hair much)... So I also agree that she should go to a doctor to make sure it isn't something else, especially if that much hair is coming out.

I hope her hair does better. :)

luckiestdestiny

Hey!!!!!!

For the falling out in clumps...IDK, I think that might be stress.

But for the breakage, I think there is too much protien in the regimen and/or there needs to be more moisturizing products.

Aphogee shampoo I believe has protien or is drying, the tea tree conditoner might not be moisturizing enough, the aphogee 2min is protien, the replenishing might be considered a light protien (and I dont know about the ORS lotion) ...the cantu if its like one of there products I had might be alittle drying/protienish, and the v05 you depending on what she's using it for may not be moisturizing enough. Also the balancing moisturizer w/aphogee really isnt that moisturizng for alot of people.

I would cut out the paul mitchel products

Find a more moisturizing shampoo (cream of nature, keracare hydrating, roux)

And just use the ORS as a deepconditoner

For the Aphogee 2min, I would use as before shampooing 1x a week, or do it every other week, or do it only when you feel its needed inbetween the major aphogee 6 week treatment

After rinsing out the ORS conditoner, I would just use a moisturizing hair lotion and oil (or if a leavein is desired, probally just a light spray moisturizing one)

I was thinking that there's waaaaaay too much protein in there. I don't know if I'd have hair left. It depends on how much protein your hair can tolerate and everyone is different.

luckiestdestiny

I am thinking it may be too much protein and not enough moisture. I would try adding a moisturizing DC to it. Does she need the Aphogee weekly? Is her hair really damaged? Is it feeling dry?
put the Aphogee down!:orders::whip::sandm:

You've already used enough thank you.

smwrigh3

she says that her hair is breaking and so she needs protein! I tried to get her to read sistaslick's article (to make sure thats what she needs) but she hasn't yet... :ohwell:

Noir

I agree with the other girls that said she should go get it checked with a derm. While protein overload can cause breakage, losing CLUMPS of hair is NOT normal.

Esp if she was exp this even before using the protein products.

Last edited:

smwrigh3

I want to say thanks to everyone who has help... I agree that is stress and Protein!!! I think it is a protein major overload.... I am really going to try a get her to add moisturizers...

smwrigh3

I agree with the other girls that said she should go get it checked with a derm. While protein overload can cause breakage, loosing CLUMPS of hair is NOT normal.

Esp if she was exp this even before using the protein products.

I think that I am not explaining this right... she was combing her hair with deep conditioner (ORS) and with was coming out like crazy! So its neva happened before only last night!! But I think its because of the protein treatment she did.. plus the protein she does every Sunday...

vestaluv1

In my opinion, I think the best thing to do is to go to a doctor or dermatologist and take it from there.
If her hair is falling out in clumps, its more likely to be an internal problem that an external one.
It could be lack of vitamins and supplements or stress, but it also could be something else, or a mixture.
I don't want to scare her by the way, I just think that is the best thing to do in this situation.
Breakage is one thing, but clumps of hair falling out is another.
Good luck!

starfish888

I agree with the girls above... also I remember in my jr year of college this happend to me and I thought it was stress from finals, but later found out that I had anemia... If all else fails she should see a doctor to make sure that it is neither Anemia or hormonal imbalances (certain foods and hygenic products are very estrogenic and can knock you off balance too).

Hope things get better.

BeautifulFlower

She needs a K.I.S.S. regimen. She's doing too much.

Protein really needs to be done one a month. Lay off the heavy proteins, your hair is more fragile than you think. Do eggs and conditioners or Keraphix or 2min (eggs work great). AA hair needs more moisture than protein and alot of times protein makes breakage worst and moisture will stop the madness. She needs a good salon quality conditioner. Something nice and creamy. Prepoo with oil and moisture morning and night everyday. A day without moisture can break hair.

Rezgirl

I co-sign on the protein overload theory. My mom has stress alopecia. She has about between midback and waistlength hair. She gets all freaked out sometimes and she loses her hair in clumps. It's able to be covered b/c it's towards the middle of her head and it's only in a few small spots but the spots are NAKED. She goes to the derm to get shots in the bald areas and when the hair grows back - it's all white! So...de-stress!!!!

smwrigh3

I co-sign on the protein overload theory. My mom has stress alopecia. She has about between midback and waistlength hair. She gets all freaked out sometimes and she loses her hair in clumps. It's able to be covered b/c it's towards the middle of her head and it's only in a few small spots but the spots are NAKED. She goes to the derm to get shots in the bald areas and when the hair grows back - it's all white! So...de-stress!!!!

Thanks.. Random note... I think your siggy is funny!! my hair is like Sarah Palin's too!!

hairsothick

Black and Magical
I will come in and agree with everyone else. I also think stress might be a factor. I was stressed during my freshman year of college and the hair on my temples was nearly non-existent by the end of my second semester so maybe she should try to lower her stress level too.

Sistaslick

Cosigning all of the other ladies above. It's been stated by more than one poster- but it's so important that I had to come in here and repeat it again . . .:lachen:

PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE PROTEIN PRODUCTS. :whyme:

No ORS Pacs, no aphogee*, no V05 spray, no Cantu. This will help the breakage part, but it might take awhile to free up some of that surface protein. The falling out in clumps-- (if its truly coming directly from the scalp)-- that's something she needs to have looked at by a professional dermatologist. It could very well be stress related-- especially round about now when semesters are winding down to a close.

She's doing well with the protective styling, low heat regimen, but she really, really needs a good moisturizing shampoo and deep conditioner to balance out her regimen. STAT. I'd clarify and then work on getting moisture back into the hair with weekly, heated deep conditionings with something really thick and creamy. If she gets really good about this, she might find that she doesn't even really need the ORS moisturizer daily. The deep conditioning is crucial. :yep: If there is any product in your regimen that you might want to put a little extra cash on, it's getting a quality moisturizing conditioner.:yep:

(*The Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer is not exactly all that great at moisturizing. To me, it's a wasted, unneeded product step after the Aphogee protein. :ohwell: You'd be better off using your own real moisturizing conditioner.:yep:)

eta: Hold up, is that the ORS in the bottle? I'd consider trying the ORS in the jar. The bottled version is less pricey, but it also coats more than moisturizes. That could also be a factor working against her especially since she is sealing on top of that product.

Last edited:

smwrigh3

Cosigning all of the other ladies above. It's been stated by more than one poster- but it's so important that I had to come in here and repeat it again . . .:lachen:

PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE PROTEIN PRODUCTS. :whyme:

No ORS Pacs, no aphogee*, no V05 spray, no Cantu. This will help the breakage part, but it might take awhile to free up some of that surface protein. The falling out in clumps-- (if its truly coming directly from the scalp)-- that's something she needs to have looked at by a professional dermatologist. It could very well be stress related-- especially round about now when semesters are winding down to a close.

She's doing well with the protective styling, low heat regimen, but she really, really needs a good moisturizing shampoo and deep conditioner to balance out her regimen. STAT. I'd clarify and then work on getting moisture back into the hair with weekly, heated deep conditionings with something really thick and creamy. If she gets really good about this, she might find that she doesn't even really need the ORS moisturizer daily. The deep conditioning is crucial. :yep: If there is any product in your regimen that you might want to put a little extra cash on, it's getting a quality moisturizing conditioner.:yep:

(*The Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer is not exactly all that great at moisturizing. To me, it's a wasted, unneeded product step after the Aphogee protein. :ohwell: You'd be better off using your own real moisturizing conditioner.:yep:)

eta: Hold up, is that the ORS in the bottle? I'd consider trying the ORS in the jar. The bottled version is less pricey, but it also coats more than moisturizes. That could also be a factor working against her especially since she is sealing on top of that product.

Thank you so much for a detail report.. her hair is not falling out.. it was alot in the comb when she detangled.. I think I should clarify that.. anyhoo.. does the ORS is the jar have the same name, I have never seen it before.