Help please? Need suggestions for managing my hair on a cruise

msmishka

Hi :) I'm a total newbie to this particular forum, but I know that you gals know your hair. I apologize now for the length of the post, but I want to give you as much detail as needed.
I have chemically relaxed hair (I am mixed, so it's an interesting texture), with highlights (the processes are well spaced out). My hair is pretty resilient and handles the treatments. I get it roller set once a week (which is when it gets washed), so it usually doesn't have to deal with any heat damage.

I am going on a 7 day cruise in July, and I need to figure out how to style/manage my hair. Letting it dry naturally is NOT an option. It is just...lank and wiry(and kind of frizzy at the bottom). I'd show you pictures, but I refuse to document that hair. I will have it set 3 times on the cruise (for formal nights and disembarkment), but the rest of the time, I'd like manageable hair.

Here are pictures of how it usually looks:

Tired face, but shows the cut (the bangs are usually much fuller than this and cover the forehead more):

Shows condition of hair:

I've looked into the Kerastase Oleo Relax serum as a possible purchase to make it manageable, and I already have BB Surf Spray. My stylist suggested using velcro rollers after flat ironing my hair.
My flat iron is only a Conair Wet/Dry iron with digital settings (I never invested in an expensive one because I only use it when I get caught in the rain or have to go on a trip).

Are there other suggestions that you might have(products/tools)? I really want to keep some of the volume in my bangs, because I hate pulling them back, and, well, actually - I haven't actively worn ponytails in years - so down or twisted up is a good option for me.

Thanks in advance,
Michelle

Last edited:

LongHairDreams

well, for cruises, i always get my hair braided because I don't want to be bothered with it. Usually you get to your cabin late from partying (sp) and are tired and want to go to sleep. Then you wake up early so you can get off the ship and sight see. So, if you could find a braided style single or cornrows that you can put up on formal nights would be great. Just a suggestion :grin:

CocoBunny

Will you be getting your hair wet every day while on the cruise? I've been on several and I just tend to eat and eat and eat...:ohwell:.

I think that the do have a beauty salon on board and trust me they are used to working on all kinds of heads. If not then how about a wearing two cute braids or a braided pony tail during the day and sporting a braidouts at night? I always rocked a loose updo or a phony bun on formal nights.

I wish I had more advice. But have fun and enjoy the cruise!

LongHairDreams

Will you be getting your hair wet every day while on the cruise? I've been on several and I just tend to eat and eat and eat...:ohwell:.

I think that the do have a beauty salon on board and trust me they are used to working on all kinds of heads. If not then how about a wearing two cute braids or a braided pony tail during the day and sporting a braidouts at night? I always rocked a loose updo or a phony bun on formal nights.

I wish I had more advice. But have fun and enjoy the cruise!

Yes, and its about $75 for Royal Caribbean anyway. That would be an idea if you don't mind paying that.

BillyJay

If you are going to be swimming or getting your hair wet daily, I wold suggest a mineral cleansing shampoo and conditioner to handle the effects of the water on your hair.

If you can take a dryer and rollers, you can roller set your hair nightly or take a round brush to blow your hair out. Are you used to doing your own hair?