Help Requested: Hair Breakage & Hair Regimen

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm new to the forum so hello all! I am starting my hair care journey and need a little guidance. Before the economy required me to take care of my hair at home, I relied on salon visits faithfully so I’m without personal hair care knowledge in a lot of ways. Now I frequent the salon for relaxers only (~6 weeks) so I need to learn the ropes of how to self-care for my hair. My first initiative will be to “stretch” my relaxers to better my hair condition. My hair is SL and is fairly thick and healthy. Not sure of my hair type and can’t post a pic at the moment b/c I’m at work (smile) but I would say it’s 2b/2c. I once had BSL but it broke due to stress. I don’t do updos; only roller sets (magnetic rollers).

I’m writing because I’m noticing some “breakage.” My hair feels super soft but is snapping as I comb or run fingers through it. Before joining the forum I was under the false impression that it was “shedding.” Now that I know better, how do you stop the breakage? The breakage is not excessive but enough to alarm me now that I’m aware. The breakage is tiny, short to medium length strands on the sink and bathroom. Some of the strands are shedding but majority I’d say is breakage.

I don’t have a fabulous routine like many of you so I’m a little embarrassed to list my process but here goes:

Night before wash:
Wild Growth Oil from root to tip

Washing/Conditioning Process:
Each one of the below is rinsed before the next step is started.

Pre-Poo
- Hot oil treatment with Carol’s daughter Tui Hair Oil
- Honey (just incorporated based on forum suggestions; love it)

Poo
- Carol’s Daughter Tui
- CON Detangling Shampoo (b/c I tangle a lot) (recently added based on forum discussion)
- Joico Moisture Recovery Shampoo

- Sometimes I use the Aphogee 2 min reconstructor or Aphogee Two Step Protein (although not consistent with either)

CON
- Mixture of: Moroccan Oil Intense Hydrating Mask, Carol’s Daughter Hair Smoothie, and EVOO (recently added evoo based on forum discussion)
- Mixture of: Joico Moisture Recovery conditioner and Moroccan Oil Moisture Repair conditioner

Pre-Roller Set
- Apply Design Essentials H20 leave-in conditioner, Fantasia Anti-Frizz Serum (recently added evoo based on forum discussion), and Moroccan Oil to wet hair
- Roller set with water (sometimes I use end papers, sometimes not)

Post-Roller Set
- Apply a Design Essentials crème hairdress and Moroccan Oil to hair and ends
- Do saran wrap or just leave it curly and go

Infrequently throughout the week I will occasionally use the following, but in no particular order or on no particular day: Carol’s Daughter Hair Elixer, Hair Balm, or Hair Milk; Moroccan Oil, Moroccan Oil Glimmer Mist; Semi Di Lino Serum.

What am I doing wrong or leaving out? I don’t co-wash and don’t understand what products to use or not use and how to seal moisture/protein, etc. I’m easily influenced so much of the products used were through someone telling me to do so. I need to learn how to develop my own routine but until I can do that will someone please set me in the “right direction?”

Thx you kindly!

ms.blue

That is a lot of shampoo. Choose one (moisturizing is better but also use a clarifying shampoo once in awhile to remove all product residue) Alternate b/w a lite protein deep conditioner and a moisturizing dc every week. Also your pre & post rollerset looks fine. What size comb you are using? Try to use either a medium to large tooth comb. Hth

dyh080

I don't know if i'll be of much help but I don't have the patience to do all of that.
Why not try a simple routine like Yassylane of fotki or cynthiarf on youtube>

Or maybe just old fashioned wash, condition and grease with petroleum( others hate it but it always worked for me).

Blue_Berry

I think you forgot to add a protein conditioner in you routine. What a protein condition does is minimizes breakage and strength your hair. Too much protein in your hair can give you opposite effects and cause breakage. You need to balance it out with a deep conditioner. Deep conditioners moisturizes and hydrate hair. Try to find a deep conditioner that will give you slip (easy to glide comb through hair) and leave it feeling moist after wards. Try doing protein treatments once a month and deep condition weekly. Also, us protective styles like buns or something to keep your hair off your shoulders, so the hair won't snap on the clothes. Roller setting are good too. I am not trying to bash your regimen, what works for your hair may not work for mine, but people get mix review about Carol's Daughter. I personally like the line, but a lot of people complain about the smoothie being to stiff on their hair. If you can tell me how it works for you it will be helpful?

Here is the 10 products from Hairlista:

http://www.hairlista.com/page/hairlista-top-10-products

* Don't try to much! When you find something that works for your hair stick with it.

For examples: Find a shampoo the doesn't strip hair and find a monthly clarifying shampoo that will clean your hair of product build-up. Find a moisturize that will leave your hair soft and moisturize.

I think you must log in, but here is regimen building on K.I.S.S.

http://keepitsimplesista.ning.com/forum/topics/2116961:Topic:8276

The K.I.S.S method is to keep it simple while growing your hair out.

*Don't try to experiment with to much products this can cause setbacks. If you find something that work for you please stick with it. If you decide to want to try something new, because of the hype, if it doesn't work, it may reverse you progress and cause setbacks.

Last edited:

divachyk

That is a lot of shampoo. Choose one (moisturizing is better but also use a clarifying shampoo once in awhile to remove all product residue) Alternate b/w a lite protein deep conditioner and a moisturizing dc every week. Also your pre & post rollerset looks fine. What size comb you are using? Try to use either a medium to large tooth comb. Hth

Thank you so very much for your feedback. What is a good lite protein and moisturizing deep conditioner? I use a large tooth comb.

divachyk

I think you forgot to add a protein conditioner in you routine. What a protein condition does is minimizes breakage and strength your hair. Too much protein in your hair can give you opposite effects and cause breakage. You need to balance it out with a deep conditioner. Deep conditioners moisturizes and hydrate hair. Try to find a deep conditioner that will give you slip (easy to glide comb through hair) and leave it feeling moist after wards. Try doing protein treatments once a month and deep condition weekly. Also, us protective styles like buns or something to keep your hair off your shoulders, so the hair won't snap on the clothes. Roller setting are good too. I am not trying to bash your regimen, what works for your hair may not work for mine, but people get mix review about Carol's Daughter. I personally like the line, but a lot of people complain about the smoothie being to stiff on their hair. If you can tell me how it works for you it will be helpful?

Here is the 10 products from Hairlista:

http://www.hairlista.com/page/hairlista-top-10-products

* Don't try to much! When you find something that works for your hair stick with it.

For examples: Find a shampoo the doesn't strip hair and find a monthly clarifying shampoo that will clean your hair of product build-up. Find a moisturize that will leave your hair soft and moisturize.

I think you must log in, but here is regimen building on K.I.S.S.

http://keepitsimplesista.ning.com/forum/topics/2116961:Topic:8276

The K.I.S.S method is to keep it simple while growing your hair out.

*Don't try to experiment with to much products this can cause setbacks. If you find something that work for you please stick with it. If you decide to want to try something new, because of the hype, if it doesn't work, it may reverse you progress and cause setbacks.

Thank you much for the links & info. CD smoothie has worked good on my hair. Even my stylist complimented my hair shortly after implementing it in my regimen although I didn't tell her I was using anything different...apparently she noticed a difference. The shampoo...I can take or leave it....I will ditch it in an effort to keep it simple. Doesn't lather much. I just use it on 1st wash so I'm not using up my better products unnecessarily since 1st wash it not meant to generate much lather.

ms.blue

Thank you so very much for your feedback. What is a good lite protein and moisturizing deep conditioner? I use a large tooth comb.

Mirta de perla keratin conditioner is a good lite protein dc (it smells so good). I used it on my mother's hair and it left her hair strong but soft. Shecenit's banana burlee is a good moisturizing dc. There is more out there, try doing a search to find more. Hth

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
Correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't think a 2b/c would need a relaxer. I know hair textures vary but. I honestly didn't think a 2 would need a relaxer.

Blue_Berry

Correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't think a 2b/c would need a relaxer. I know hair textures vary but. I honestly didn't think a 2 would need a relaxer.

Golden, I am not sure, but I think she is talking about her relax hair texture and how straight the texture is like from 2b/c.

To Diva Chyck, usually relax hair doesn't have a hair type. I think you can't tell your hair texture until you get a lot of new growth or if you BC.

Here is some stuff on hair types:

http://www.curls.biz/curly-hair-type-guide.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIHakuebwLw

divachyk

lol, thanks ladies.

i'm such a newbie that i didn't realize relaxed hair didn't have hair type associated with it. thanks for the links blueberry and setting me straight. whew, i have so much to learn.

what's BC?

and, why does my underneath layer stay dryer (less moisturized) than the rest of my hair. i do wear it down a lot because my previous stylist gave me a complex about wearing buns, updos, and anything that would require the hair to be pulled up. yet, she said wearing it down is equally as damaging. she left me feeling like there is a no win situation.

zora

Girl, forget everything you learned from your stylists. Updos and buns are fine unless you put too much tension on your edges. Just be sure to oil your ends when you bun.

BC stands for "Big Chop"

BlackGeisha

I think you should alternate your products, don't use them all at one all together. I think you should pre poo, then shampoo, deep condition then rollerset. If you use a moisturizing shampoo, use a light protein as your conditioner/deep conditioner and if you wash with a protein shampoo then use a moisturizing conditioner/deep conditioner. You should also keep this balance with your leave ins as well have one moisturizing leave in and one protein leave in.

Avaya

It looks as though deep conditioning is missing from your regimen. I'd add a weekly deep conditioning session to my routine if I were you, especially after using a protein conditioner.

I've never used aphogee so I can't comment on that but my fave protein conditioners are Nexxus Emergencee and Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Deep-Penetrating Reconstructor. You can use one or the other but when a relaxed head, I used them both together (layer the Nexxus over the Joico). Stopped breakage in its tracks and left my hair super strong!

divachyk

wow, i have so much to learn but with your help, i'm gonna be on point here shawt (short). thx ladies!

MsRR

Off topic...I forgot how to start a new thread...anybody help.

Last edited:

divachyk

is the propeor order -- (1) prepoo (2) moisturize poo (3) protein treat (4) dc with with moisturizing condish (5) moisturize with leave-in (6) seal with oil and (7) style (or in my case roller set)? am i missing something? i'll be sure to cut down on the amount of products used and not be excessive but just trying to determine good order of operation.

NaturalBoss

I don't really have too much advice because I'm one of the people who believes in experimenting and finding out what's best for YOUR hair. The one thing I can say is that if you are using ALL those different products and still experiencing breakage, IMO you are wasting your money. I have a really simple routine and the few products I use are under $10 (probably under $5). I co-wash 4-7 times a week with cheap conditioner (Aussie Moist, HE HH, V05). I wash about once a week w/ Keracare Sulfate free shampoo. I moisturize my hair daily with S-Curl No Drip. Very inexpensive, but it's working. I've used Carol's Daughter and a whole bunch of other stuff and I was not impressed.

I know your stylist mentioned that up-do's, buns, etc. are bad for your hair, but I totally disagree. Buns help my ends stay moisturized (along w/ the S-Curl No Drip).

Personally, I don't think you should use so much shampoo, if any at all.

You said you were new to this board and proper haircare, etc., so let me clarify some of my abbreviations:

Co-wash = Conditioner wash, which is washing your hair w/ just conditiner
HE HH = Herbal Essense Hello Hydration

divachyk

I don't really have too much advice because I'm one of the people who believes in experimenting and finding out what's best for YOUR hair. The one thing I can say is that if you are using ALL those different products and still experiencing breakage, IMO you are wasting your money. I have a really simple routine and the few products I use are under $10 (probably under $5). I co-wash 4-7 times a week with cheap conditioner (Aussie Moist, HE HH, V05). I wash about once a week w/ Keracare Sulfate free shampoo. I moisturize my hair daily with S-Curl No Drip. Very inexpensive, but it's working. I've used Carol's Daughter and a whole bunch of other stuff and I was not impressed.
Agree that I've wasted a good bit of money. Most of my 'wasted money items' go to the hubs -- lol. I got caught up in the Carol's Daughter and Moroccan Oil hype and that's where most of my money was wasted. I will not be buying much more product until I use up what I have. If anything, I might buy some castor oil and some neutrogena triple moisture as that seem to be a product favorite on the boards.

I know your stylist mentioned that up-do's, buns, etc. are bad for your hair, but I totally disagree. Buns help my ends stay moisturized (along w/ the S-Curl No Drip).
How are you applying the S-Curl No Drip? Spritzing entire head? At night/morning? After fresh relaxer or while stretching? I might try this after I've used up some product.

Personally, I don't think you should use so much shampoo, if any at all. I didn't recognize the harsh effects shampoo had on hair. I will definitely slow my roll on the shampoo.

You said you were new to this board and proper haircare, etc., so let me clarify some of my abbreviations:

Co-wash = Conditioner wash, which is washing your hair w/ just conditiner
HE HH = Herbal Essense Hello Hydration
I'll add this to a list of things to try later down the road after my stash dwindles down. And yes, thx for spelling out the abbreviations.

What's the hype surrounding the various oils? I've read where some ladies use 5 or 6 oils -- jojoba, coconut, castor, EVOO, and many others that I can remember.

Last edited: