Help Self Relaxing Today.

Tresses

O.k. so I haven't had a relaxer since I found this board sometime in early feb.:) :) :) I am sooo proud of my stretch. I used to wait only the min time stated on the box (4 wks), but now I know better.

Anyway, my last relaxer was Deep Brilliance. What a horror. I hated it. I wanted to try Phyto this round but I didn't hear about it until today and I can't wait any longer.

I tried searching the board for self-relaxing tips and tricks but the search engine isn't friendly to me this morning. I was looking for sistaslicks tips as well as others for first time self-relaxing. I've done it before, but this would be my first time doing it right!

I read about braiding and relaxing, ponytail holders and relaxing, light protein and mixing relaxer with oils. I need those threads ya'll.

And isn't it funny that your head starts itching like crazy soon before you know your about to relax?????

BMoreFlyy

lesley said:
And isn't it funny that your head starts itching like crazy soon before you know your about to relax?????

I think the same thing when it's time for me to get a relaxer. :lol:

Catina72

I'll share some home relaxer tips I got out of my Essence mag from Feb 04.
Protect the scalp, hairline, ears and nape. Apple the base evenly. Using too much could actually slow down the relaxing process.
Prevent overlap. You can avoid overprocessing by applying a moisturizing conditioner to the relaxed sections of the hair. It will serve as a barrier in case the chemicals come in contact with already-processed hair. Apply a generous amount of the conditioner and let it sit on the hair for 45 minutes before relaxing.
Relax most resistant hair first, which is the back of the head or the crown.
Leave the comb alone. Use your fingers instead of even a tongue depressor to distribute the relaxer.
Rinse properly. You should thoroughly rinse the hair at least three times or the remaining relaxer will continue to break down the hair and cause major damage.
Hope that helps and Good Luck!:)

tenderheaded

Congrats on your long stretch:grin: My scalp always starts itching like mad when I'm about to put chemicals on it too. ITA, separate hair as much as possible so that more time is spent with the relaxer doing its thing. Leave neutralizing poo on at least 5 min. When I started doing this I stopped having that chemical smell afterwards!

Tresses

Well I did it and boy did I freak up. I sectioned my hair in about 16 ponies all over and rubberbanded on the demarcation line. I soaked the relaxed hair in vitatress and I based my entire scalp. I started at the crown, then the back, then the nape and hair line area.

I used a applicator bottle which was hell trying to put my Evoo/relaxer mixture in but I did it. I put the applicator tip directly into the base of each ponytail and sqeezed out some relaxer, I piched the base of the pony to saturate it then I sqeezed some relaxer on the outer parts of the pony.

When I was done applying, I slid each rubberband off. Some were is because I soaked my relaxed hair in vitatress, but I did pull some strands out. I began to smooth. I went a little over my 10 min limit.

I rinsed really well then applied EQ breakage control serum for 5 min. I then rinsed and neutralized three times, the last I left it on for 5 min. I then rinsed and applied a mix of heated Evoo, elasta essential oils, and hot oil six to my hair then I applied a mix of BBD stretch, Kenra con, and Nexxus con and I let that sit under a plastic cap for 2 hours.

When I rinsed, I saw all my under processed spots. I did a horrible job. I wish I would've stuck to my regular way of relaxing then trying this method in sections. Its like I damaged (chemicals) for nothing because I didn't get any results. I wonder if I mixed to much Evoo into my relaxer or did I not leave it in long enough?

Now what do I do. Do I attempt to correct the under processed areas which is scattered all over in diffrent spots or should I just wait another 3-4 months and try again. The only problem with waiting is I will have relaxer on 2 inches of hair near my roots then about 2 inches of relaxed then bout 1 inches of under-processed hair, then relaxed ends. Can you all get that visual??

I have rollers in right now. My hairline edges look a hot doo-doo mess:mad:

Denim And Leather

lesley said:
O.k. so I haven't had a relaxer since I found this board sometime in early feb.:) :) :) I am sooo proud of my stretch. I used to wait only the min time stated on the box (4 wks), but now I know better.

Anyway, my last relaxer was Deep Brilliance. What a horror. I hated it. I wanted to try Phyto this round but I didn't hear about it until today and I can't wait any longer.

I tried searching the board for self-relaxing tips and tricks but the search engine isn't friendly to me this morning. I was looking for sistaslicks tips as well as others for first time self-relaxing. I've done it before, but this would be my first time doing it right!

I read about braiding and relaxing, ponytail holders and relaxing, light protein and mixing relaxer with oils. I need those threads ya'll.

Here's Southerngirl's self relaxing tips:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=46135&highlight=relaxing+tips

Let us know how it goes...I'm going to do my first self-relaxer later this month, and am excited! I plan on using the Phyto II for my relaxer.

Angelicus

great advice. I reccomend doing one side of your hair at a time. For my thick hair, I had to thermally straighten it first, then apply the relaxer to one side of my head, rinse, and then do the other side. it took a lot of time but it was the only way it got half way straight.

Mystic

Lesley.... the exact same thing happened to me. I self-relaxed and most of my hair was underprocessed. I wanted to relax again so badly to get it straighter. I almost did but I felt scared since I overlapped so badly - I didn't want to run the risk of putting chemicals on my hair again so soon. After my next wash to about 2-3 weeks, my hair didn't look so bad and occasionally I flat ironed for uniformity. After a while, the underprocessed part didn't bother me as much and I stretched for 6 months after that. Give it 3 weeks and if you still think it is that bad then have a professional do a corrective 5 mins relaxer.

HoneyDew

I am a little late but I have always self relaxed and I have never really been able to do it perfectly until I started using a SMALLER color/tint brush to apply the relaxer. I got a few from Sally's for under $1 each. They have made it much easier. I used to use a comb. I then started using a wide tint brush.

The smaller ones have made a world of difference.

Last edited:

HoneyDew

This is the exact one I use. I LOVE this thing!!

LovelyLionessa

HoneyDew said:
This is the exact one I use. I LOVE this thing!!

Thanks HoneyDew for this post. I used these brushes for my 1st time relaxing. They worked much better for me than those wide applicator brushes, especially since I chose to relax in small sections. :yep:

HoneyDew

Priestess said:
Thanks HoneyDew for this post. I used these brushes for my 1st time relaxing. They worked much better for me than those wide applicator brushes, especially since I chose to relax in small sections. :yep:

Yes, there are so much better and give you so much more control over where the cream is being applied. I bought 3 of them!

aileenadq

One more thing...When neutralizing, be sure to leave the last shampoo on for 10 minutes or so to COMPLETELY neutralize the scalp. (I can't remember which LHCF lady suggested this, but it works wonders! I haven't had a burn on my scalp since I started doing this.)