Help... She wants a perm and has not washed her hair in a year

what in the hell.
i'm sorry.

i hope this is a joke. please talk to her about the importance of washing hair in terms of fungus/bacteria. only then can you deal with issues related to relaxing. there are bigger problems here.

OP what condition is her hair in by not washing her hair? is it dry? short and broken? Long and dry? Long and healthy:look: curious tis all

Offer her your advice once more.

But realize you can bring the horse to the water but you can't make them drink.

She is a Grown woman.....

Her hair is shoulder length and and has thin see through ends that needs to be cut off.. Before braiding she might flatiron it dirty and I'm like no no nodon't do that..
It is also very delcate when she goes to take down braids there are broken peices of hair all over the place mabey I can teach her the difference between breakage and shedding..
Sent from my MB200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

OP, I won't even say anything about the washing once a year business, but based on what you've said so far, it sounds like you might be :deadhorse:

I don't know your sister and I realize you're concerned about her and her hair, but sometimes you just have to hold your tongue. Some women won't take unsolicited, and even solicited advice about their hair, even from someone they trust. Your best bet is to simply be there for her when she's ready to change her ways. :ohwell:

She hasn't washed her hair in a year?

But seriously, this is what you need to do. Take the weave out, and WASH THAT ****. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200. Wait a couple of days and do the relaxer.

If she just has to have a relaxer that day, relax it through the dirt. Disgusting, I know. But that's about all you can do. Either that or wash it, and do a mild relaxer (or a Just for me kit) and pray that the Lord Jesus will protect her hair and scalp and not let her stuff get burnt up or fall out.

Basically my sibling is tired of braids and wants to get a sew in with her hair left out around the perimeter .. She normally only washes her her once a year or twice a year if she feels like it :ohwell:.. She told me that she wanted to relax the leave out and this was my reaction :blush::blush::blush::nono::nono::ohwell::perplexed... I told her that her hair is unhealthy and the concept of relaxing just the leave out is NO NO.... She is going to do it regardless.. I explained to her that since she will relax to at least do a moisturizing deep treatment before hand. Any extra information will be greatly appreciated thanks.

This won't end well. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Her hair is shoulder length and and has thin see through ends that needs to be cut off.. Before braiding she might flatiron it dirty and I'm like no no nodon't do that..
It is also very delcate when she goes to take down braids there are broken peices of hair all over the place mabey I can teach her the difference between breakage and shedding..
Sent from my MB200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Really other than offering to treat her hair before getting the braids and during the time she is out. I don't know what more you can do.

I have family members like that and guess what I tried to enlighten and they were like :perplexed :ohwell: :nono: :blush: :rolleyes: :eatme: :witch: :huh:

So I basically just left them alone, 3 people have come to me since then and asked for help. The other two aren't there yet and their hair was the worst of the bunch all I could think of is Grazed on hay that a horse was eatting. That is how it looked and I didn't want my family going out like that. Yet I got the look of B please. So you know what, I can show you better than I can tell you. I am here if and when they need me. The others I have help hair is looking wonderful and healthy. :)

Just don't impose because then people start to get :eatme: about it.

appplecidder

i've seen how pretty your hair is, so if she won't listen to you just let the madness unfold. i can't believe she hasn't washed her hair in a yr. after 5-7 days i can't wait to wash mine and in the summer sometimes i wash 3-4 times a week....yuk and double yuk! her hair in addition to being all kinds of dirty is porbably very fragile from constantly braiding it, ia gree with you that she should wait at least 2wks but not before she washes, dc, and does a hardcore protein treatment. well, i guess the lye or no-lye will eat through all that dirt....it works for drains:look:bless her lil heart:nono:she's old enough to know better.:sad:just be there to support her if it falls out in clumps:ohwell::perplexed

Errmmm... well .... When I was little, I hardly ever washed my hair and it was absolutely fine. My hair was pretty long and thick ... it didn't smell and it didn't itch. I never used any products besides maybe grease a couple of times a year. I never had any build up. Like if I scratched my scalp, I'd never have gunk coming off it. My scalp was just fine.

It was only after I got my hair relaxed around 10 or so, that I was in the salon every week, using products ... that I started getting my hair washed every week.

I know several people now who hardly ever wash their hair. It's probably thicker than mine. The only real issue is that they don't retain their length because they get a lot of self-inflicted breakage.

Meh. Sue me.

I bet Apple's sister's hair doesn't smell as bad as y'all are making it out to be. I'm sure it doesn't smell like roses, but still.

This reminded me of a news story of a yt woman who never washed her hair for 11 years...and it was just fine. After a while hair apparently starts to "clean itself"

Well if she wants you to do her hair OP, tell her you only sew hair into clean hair and she has to wash it...nothing else I know you can do personally.

You should dump a bucket of soapy water on her head while she's sleeping LOL

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

This reminded me of a news story of a yt woman who never washed her hair for 11 years...and it was just fine. After a while hair apparently starts to "clean itself"

Yep, I was going to post a link to that article too. But I just couldn't remember her name or where I read it.

How can you even go w year without washing? What if you go to the beach/pool?

What about sweating? And she HAS to have dirt/dry scalp/skin particles all around the base of those braids. And she has to have build up from braid spray. There's no way you keep braids for that long without needing some relief for your scalp.

My head it it hint thinking about this.

We go hard on these Innanets.

I know a few people that don't wash their hair. They don't put products in it either and I wouldn't have known if they didn't tell me. People on the other hair board do variations of it. Even so I just can't imagine going that long especially when one sprays braid spray and all that gunk in their head. I just hope that if she suffers a setback she'll learn from her mistake.

Last time I was down in the Islands, I met rastas who never washed their hair for years...and their hair was well past down their back:lachen:you ladies are doing it all wrong..:lol:

Is that even humanly possible to go a year or even 6 mos w/o washing? We're being punk'd right?

This has got to be an Aprils fool joke! Ain't no way any person is walking around with haven't-been-washed-in-a-year nasty, foul smelling hair. That would be beyond disgusting!

Actually my cousin hasnt washed her hair in almost a year..We did not know until she told us.
Her braids have been up in a bun the entire time too. We tell her she probably has cockroaches in her hair:lol:

I honestly thought this was a thread about her:grin: We offer her bottles of shampoo & conditioner, tell her to just go to the dollar store & get some cheap V05, We tell her to get in the shower and wash it, We even asked does she have anyone that can wash it for her..but still :nono:

sounds like my younger sister she never washes her hair and she used to perm it too. My mum cut off her hair and told her to wash it I am not sure if she did though.

I was told that dirty hair grows.

I was also told not to relax unless there was dirt/buildup underneath my fingernails when I scratch my scalp.

I think this misconception came from the fact that it is advised to wait so many days after a wash to relax.

Back