Help - Straight to Texlaxed (not by choice)

princessdi

Okay, so after my 6-month stretch, I relaxed this weekend with Mizani for fine hair. The good news is that I'm almost BSL (my ends are touching my strap); I will post pictures later. The bad news is that somehow my relaxer didn't take as it normally does. I usually relax bone straight and that was my intention this time; however, something went wrong. The only thing I can think of that may have effected the outcome was doing a reconstructor prior to neutralizing. I used Joico K-pac. Was this too strong? Could it have caused my relaxer to revert a little? Whatever the reason, I now have texlaxed hair. It okay and I think I can manage it; however, I've never had to deal with this type of texture for long periods of time.

I need help to get me through this phase without causing breakage. I currently co-wash daily because I exercise daily and I DC twice a week. I'm wondering if I should step up my protein because of this or if I should do something else. My hair does not like protein so this kind of scares me. I plan to do the Aphogee 2-step protein treatment in two weeks. Will this be enough? I need suggestion on what to do everyday for my hair. I currently have it in a bun and that's how I plan to wear it 99% of the time. When I get 9 to 10 weeks post, I will go back to my wig. This seems to help a lot because the hair is braided and that means not much manipulation, but as for right now. What should I do. I've come too far to take two steps back. Please, all of you texlaxers and also those who are not, please let me know what you would do and how to care for my now "texlaxed" strands.

I've noticed that the texture is not coarse but it does have that texture that warns me "to be careful". It seems to tangle more at the ends than my relaxed hair (no surprise), but I'm not sure how to deal with this to keep it from breaking. I really don't want to create any undue stress on the strands. Should I not comb after co-washing. What can I do to keep it from tangling?

Please, any suggestions you have that would get me through another successful 6-month stretch, please share with me. Thank you.

Geminigirl

I was reading a thread awhile back with mixed reviews about protein reverting hair right after relaxers. I think they suggested using a light protein and then a couple weeks later using a stronger one. I forgot how I found that thread. Wish I could be more help but I know someone will come in here with better info.

beans4reezy

I'm sorry, I can't help...but I do want to say congratulations on reaching BSL. I remember you posting a few months back on a thread saiying that it took forever for you to reach APL, now you are almost BSL. I am eagerly awaiting your pics :)

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I can totally understand your dilemma. I'm going through the same thing about involuntarily becoming texlaxed. But I'm a newby so of course I don't have any recommendations on how to take care of it. But it's been okay for me so far and I have about 2 inches of texlaxed hair.

But as far as why it happened, I learned from the helpful women on here that my relaxer MAY have not straightened proprerly from the use of coconut oil or possibly other products. Being as though some women mix coconut oil in their relaxers because they WANT to be texlaxed, I was using it daily and it probably slowed down my relaxer because of the build-up beforehand.

HTH

princessdi

After thinking about this a lot yesterday, I've come to the conclusion that it was probably the oil that I added to my relaxer, which slowed down the processing time. So, because I only left it in for the recommended time, I probably didn't give it enough time to process completely, which has given me texlaxed hair. It's not bad; however, because I stretch for long periods of time, I would like to have had it bone straight (less problems in the end with stretching). Oh well, I hope I can deal with it and make it work.

Yep, its most likely the oil you added. Its also recommended to do a clarifying shampoo in the wash prior to your relaxer and not use too much product on your hair after as the product can prevent the relaxer from processing your hair as straight as you want it to.

Jewell

Hey, congrats on reaching BSL. I am also texlaxed. I'm thinking that the oil (either added to the relaxer, or built up on the hair) likely slowed down the processing time and acted as a barrier to the relaxer. Yesterday I texlaxed my hair after a 5 month stretch. I purposely slathered my previously relaxed hair with petroleum jelly to prevent overprocessing. I always use moderate protein after a relaxer then follow-up with moisture, but have never heard of protein causing reversion. Its likely that the hair was never fully "processed" in the first place and because protein strengthens the hair and enhances texture, its just the underprocessed hair became more evident after it (protein) was applied.

As far as what to do style-wise, I would just protective style a lot, just as you already do. Not combing your hair after CW's is not necessary, but maybe use a wide-tooth comb to cut down on some tangles, but also prevent too much stress on your hair. I just began texlaxing in Nov. 08, (and this makes my 2nd application), and I prefer it to bone straight. My mom actually did a TU for me in March and she has a bad habit of overprocessing, so I have some bone straight hair in my head (a few inches) but the rest is textured. HHG, and HTH! :wave: