Help! Those Of You Who Color Gray and Relax???

Aerie17

I have a significant amount of gray (actually pure white) and I relax my hair which is fine and of medium density. I am concerned about the combination of color and perm and wonder what everyone else is using and how it is affecting your hair. I like Clairol Radiance which is low peroxide and zero ammonia for its coverage and long lasting quality. However, my good friend from home was out to visit and she advised I would be better served using something without even low peroxide such as Beautiful Browns. I have used this before and it is not really an option. It does not cover my gray adequately and washes out almost immediately...yuck. Have you found anything which works better with no peroxide or ammonia and leaves your hair in great condition? Perhaps you have a method of application which works better? I have gone under the dryer with a cap, but this doesn't really seem to help much either. I have considered letting the white hair come on in, but every time I get about an inch of it in, I can't stand it! I run to the store for color. I don't even want to consider cutting off my hair to let it come in fresh. Help!!

Re: Help! Those Of You Who Color Gray and Relax???

I used to use a color rinse (like Miss. Clairol Loving Care) to keep my gray covered. I also used Clairol's Beautiful. Neither one lasted long. I finally gave up and just decided to let the gray strands stand out and do their thing.
laugh.gif

I think a full head of gray hair is pretty. Unfortunately, I won't gray like that. I have a cap around my forehead - looks funny. So, for now I'm using Hennalucent, but after this winter I going to let it come through, too much work. I don't think it's that long lasting either. Never pay attention to how long it last.

I read something in one of my books on herbs about a natural way to color gray. It's about steeping sage and black tea together and applying it to the hair. It is supposed to gradually color the gray hair. I'll have to look for my book again and I can post the recipe.

[ QUOTE ]
chyna said:
I used Bigen and have achieved the best coverage. It does not fade as quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]
___
This is the best coverage but the gray hairs are Mike Tyson's; they fight and fight dirty. I almost want to give up. It seems the more I do to keep them at bay; the more they crop up.

[ QUOTE ]
AnjelLuvsUBabe said:
darn how old is this board

[/ QUOTE ]
___
Most members are adults. I got my first gray strand is my 20's. Age doesn't determine gray. Development of gray hair is genetic. If your hair grows fast, whether it is long or not, you will be fighting gray like a battle.

You will notice that many white people give up after a certain number of years because it grows in just as quickly as you color it.

I don't think graying has anything to do with age. For some, it runs in the family (which is why my 5 year old niece had some gray strands when she was 2 years old)!

I agree. I've also had strands of gray since I was in college!! My parents both grayed early, so I guess that's the reason. One of my former co-workers son, at age 6, had many, many strands of gray in his hair, and even the pediatrician was at a loss as to why! Last I heard, they were going to have him tested to make sure he was ok.

Allandra,
Was there a big difference in the colored and un-colored hair when you let it grow out? Were you able to transition it gracefully? I would love to give up this hassle, but every time I get a good inch or so, I can't stand it!! I feel like I look like Uncle Ben...

[ QUOTE ]
nita4 said:
I think a full head of gray hair is pretty. Unfortunately, I won't gray like that. I have a cap around my forehead - looks funny. So, for now I'm using Hennalucent, but after this winter I going to let it come through, too much work. I don't think it's that long lasting either. Never pay attention to how long it last.

[/ QUOTE ]

nita4,
Hi there..are you using the Hennalucent on relaxed hair? Does it grow out or fade out and does it dry out the hair? Thanks for responding!

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
I read something in one of my books on herbs about a natural way to color gray. It's about steeping sage and black tea together and applying it to the hair. It is supposed to gradually color the gray hair. I'll have to look for my book again and I can post the recipe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Isis. I will look for it!

[ QUOTE ]
Bett1e said:
[ QUOTE ]
chyna said:
I used Bigen and have achieved the best coverage. It does not fade as quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]
___
This is the best coverage but the gray hairs are Mike Tyson's; they fight and fight dirty. I almost want to give up. It seems the more I do to keep them at bay; the more they crop up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ladies...
Does the Bigen contain any peroxide or ammonia? I think it says it is a permanent color. Do you relax or are you natural?

[ QUOTE ]
Aerie17 said:
Allandra,
Was there a big difference in the colored and un-colored hair when you let it grow out? Were you able to transition it gracefully? I would love to give up this hassle, but every time I get a good inch or so, I can't stand it!! I feel like I look like Uncle Ben...

[/ QUOTE ]
I used a color rinse. Therefore, it did not grow out. It washed out. I only used dark brown (which is the same color as my natural hair color).

The Domonican place I go to here in NYC - she usese a henna, and it is not Sabastians - it is in a black bottle - and my hair is black, and what she uses does not give me a harah look - and it last more than anything I have used in the past. My gray is white silver, very white - it grows out of my scalp like this already - and the Bigen leaves my hair dull looking.

I am not ready gor this much gray hair not yet....

Hi, Aerie

I have like 20 gray hairs concentrated in the back left section of my hair which has been an added source of stress for me, possibly creating more grays if the myth is true.

Rambling aside, my last color treatment done by my stylist was Sebastian Cellophane. I don't remember the name of the color but I was looking for a red. Like Brenda Starr Red.

Anyway, this stuff is not permanent, but she applied it right after my relaxer when the cuticle was open and wowee...though you can't really see the color all the time, in certain lights the red really comes out and guess what? You can't even see the gray hairs. (woohoo!)

I know they are there and I can tell the diff. between the formerly gray strands and the rest of my hair but it's really pretty subtle and "non-damaging, non-permanent".

I put those last statements in quote because my hair was last colored on 7/25/03 and even though I've been using clairol herbal essence's color preserving shampoo and conditioner, the color seems to be as vibrant as the day I got it done.

Hope this helps and good luck,
AZJeepgurl

Back