HELP: Tips for natural hair, no shine, dry!!

Naijaqueen

Hey ladies, quick question, a friend of mine who's natural and is a type 4 has a problem with dry hair. Her hair shrinks a whole lot, when its dry it has no shine. Its about armpit length when pressed.
She does Conditioner wash with Motions once a week.
She uses Blue Magic grease (hmmm grease :( ) She went back to grease because nothing else was keeping the hair moisturized like shea butter.

What would be the best way for moisture and not having to wear a wash and go everyday. When she does a wash and go when the hair dries, its like completely dry. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Cinnabuns

Hello there :wave:,

Has your friend thought of using oils? Grapeseed oil and EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) are great for adding shine and moisture to natural hair. I've also heard good things about Jojoba mentioned on this board also, I have yet to try it though. :)

HTH

Naijaqueen

mahoganee said:
Does she use a leave in conditioner afterwards or a moisturizer like s curl?

Hmm I dont think she does, that might be the problem though. I myself use Salerm, but I've a relaxer though, would that be good for natural hair?

Naijaqueen

Cinnabuns said:

Has your friend thought of using oils? Grapeseed oil and EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) are great for adding shine and moisture to natural hair. I've also heard good things about Jojoba mentioned on this board also, I have yet to try it though. :)

HTH

Good suggestion, I dont think she uses any moisturizer of any sort right now other than grease, which we all know isnt good.

caligirl

Leave some regular conditioner in the hair...works wonders for naturally curly/coarse/kinky hair. I like Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner and Herbal Essences Replenishing Conditioner.

natstar

Maybe she should try going back to shea butter- Applying it while hair is damp and keeping her hair braided. Then if she want's to let it loose, she can do so for a little bit but not all the time. I would also try using a moisutizing shampoo & conditioner, plus a good leave in once a week. Then some shea butter and braid it up. Also find a good daily moisturizer- there's a lot out there- I am liking qhemet's hair balm nowadays- but there are other less expensive ones as well. Also- if she likes wearing her hair out a lot, I would do a conditioner wash and then use a good moisturizer (like the balm)..but I would still braid at night.

Blossssom

Cinnabuns said:

HTH

Cinnabuns knows her stuff. I say OO, which is what the Israelites used, or Jojoba oil.

Avocado oil is also good for truly black hair :)

mahoganee

Naijaqueen said:
Hmm I dont think she does, that might be the problem though. I myself use Salerm, but I've a relaxer though, would that be good for natural hair?
I don't know about Salerm because I've never tried it. The label should say what type of hair that it can be used on I'm guessing.

Cinnabuns

Blossssom said:
Cinnabuns knows her stuff. I say OO, which is what the Israelites used, or Jojoba oil.

Thanks Blossssom :kiss:

Where can I find Avocado oil, I've never heard of this? I'd love to try some. :)

Cinnabuns

Naijaqueen said:
Good suggestion, I dont think she uses any moisturizer of any sort right now other than grease, which we all know isnt good.

Well grease is not all that bad IMHO, I use it all the time, I'm a straight-up grease monkey. :lol:

Out of curiosity does she ever use heat on her hair?

Country gal

I use leave in conditioner in addition to adding almond oil and either Scurl, IC Fantasia sparklelites or EQ feels like silk. The key is plenty of moisture for natural 4 hair.

Brownie

I add oil (castor or something else) to my biolage leave in conditioner. I also use world of curl gel, and my hair usually always looks shiny. I use my leave in nearly every day.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
If its dull she may have build up, have her clarify using an acv rinse. Her conditioners will work better. For softness try qhemet heavy cream. Also their alma pomade, it is really nice and a little goes a long way.
If she puts moisturizer,( shea butter, oil, pomade or what ever she is using) on wet hair it will help seal in moisture and try not to go more than 2-3 days with out washing/co washing her hair. Water adds moisture back in. Good luck!!

honeisos

I use a leave in(cantu shea buttersoft) ... and I also mix IC sparkle with a curl activator ,aloe and some oil mix .. like Super six or eight ..

So I don't have to buy a million oils LOL...

But you can get oils from the health food store or www.fromnaturewithlove.com

the gel mix helps with 2nd and 3rd day hair

Queenie

Blossssom said:

I'm not natural... but my hair really sucks up this oil. I'd use it more, but it's pricey and I get more shine out of coconut oil.

imstush

How come grease is bad for you? I remember when I was younger, no chemicals in my hair...my mom would do my hair and put dax or sulfur on my scalp and my hair was extremely healthy and very very long back then. Now I can only wish that my hair gets that way again.

Naijaqueen

You ladies are awesome, goodness I'm not even natural and I am learning from this all. For ACV, would it best to mix it with water and pour on wet hair?

Looks like I might get almond oil for myself, need to scout the web for a cheap place, goodness I'm becoming a PJ!!! :(

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
Naijaqueen said:
You ladies are awesome, goodness I'm not even natural and I am learning from this all. For ACV, would it best to mix it with water and pour on wet hair?

Looks like I might get almond oil for myself, need to scout the web for a cheap place, goodness I'm becoming a PJ!!! :(

For the acv rinse experiment with works best for you. I started out with 2 tablespoons per cup of water but I dont measure anymore and I'm heavy-handed so I'm probably using more.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
My hair shrinks everytime it gets wet and it stays shrinked up. The only thing that has helped stretch my hair out is if I get my mom to cornrow it and I unravel the cornrows.

Anyway, the BEST moisturizer for my natural hair is S CURL NO DRIP FORMULA!!! :woot:

I've tried Motions anti-breakage lotion, unrefined shea butter, Herbal Essence Conditioner, and just plain water... but S-Curl is #1 in my book! ;)

SweetNic_JA

Pooh, does the Scurl weaken your hair? I used to use it when I was relaxed and in braids and it made my hair weak. I'm not sure it it has the same effect on natural hair and for that reason I cringe when I hear about s-curl.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
SweetNic_JA said:
Pooh, does the Scurl weaken your hair? I used to use it when I was relaxed and in braids and it made my hair weak. I'm not sure it it has the same effect on natural hair and for that reason I cringe when I hear about s-curl.
I've never had my hair in braids before. I did use S-Curl while I was transitioning; it kept my new-growth moisturized. My relaxed hair broke off no matter what product I used or what style I did. That's why I did the BC. But now that I'm natural, I don't have any breakage and S-Curl has been my friend and is helping me retain hair length...hasn't weaken my hair at all. I use it 1-2X a daily depending on how dry my hair feels.

Hope that helps! ;)

Happy2BNappy

I have the same problem and I have tried every product known to man. WHen I wear an afro I have ZERO shine...and when I wear my hair twisted I have some shine, I guess that is because the strands of my hair are closer together or something. Even when I wear a twist out I have some shine, but if my twist out become puffy (strands separating) it gets dull again. Don't know why.. so I just have up!! SMILE!! I was thinking about getting a clear rinse. I heard that that can bring some shine. Has anyone else heard of that?

Happy2BNappy

SweetNic_JA said:

I use S curl on my hair now (I also put other oils in it) and I haven't had a problem.. in fact I think it actually helpd it from breaking off....