CAN HARD WATER AFFECT NATURAL SHINE?

Choclatcotton

Hey ladies any comments on natural hair shine? Even when i go from kinks and curls to pressing it still lacks luster. Maybe build up or hard water area. I know someone who uses bottled water to wash their hair and they have bsl hair. im concerned abt the shine because it used to glisen? forgot how to spell:D what am i doing wrong?? still grows though thanks to all the wonderful hair tips

I know hard water was the reason why I could not detangle my hair for anything. Even conditioners that worked in the past were not working. Well we took care of that issue and now my hair is behaving a lot better and my conditioners are working again...who knew. My hair did lack shine as well. So definately hard water affects natural shine and more.

From what I understand shine has to do w/ the light reflecting off the hair. Curly/kinky hair doesn't showcase shine like straight hair. the only other thing that I can think of that might affect shine when the hair is straight, would be the type of product choosen, or build up. As far as hard water, I have it where I live. I got a shower filter, and it has yet to affect shine. But detangling and softness has DEFINITELY arrived since I put the filter in.

Hard water definitely affected my shine. My shampoos and condtioners weren't rinsing right, and it left a build up on my hair. None of my products seemed to work. A filter (and whole house water softner) solved the problem.

Princess Pie said:
Hard water definitely affected my shine. My shampoos and condtioners weren't rinsing right, and it left a build up on my hair. None of my products seemed to work. A filter (and whole house water softner) solved the problem.
Yes, hard water can affect the natural color, shine, elasticity, porosity, and managability of hair. My whole house softener is scheduled for installation next month! :) I'm done playing around. :mad:

BTW, Lowes had the best installation rate. They want about 1/2 the money the other 3 vendors want.

sareca said:
Yes, hard water can affect the natural color, shine, elasticity, porosity, and managability of hair. My whole house softener is scheduled for installation next month! :) I'm done playing around. :mad:

BTW, Lowes had the best installation rate. They want about 1/2 the money the other 3 vendors want.

I glad to hear that you are getting one. I have been procrastinating, but Ineed to get it done.

I think my water is also affecting my clothes when they are washed. Even with fabric softener, my clothes just don't come out right.

And, Iagree. My water affects my hair in every bad way you can name. No shine, Dull reddish tones on my hair, dryness, everything!!

tetbelle said:
I know hard water was the reason why I could not detangle my hair for anything. Even conditioners that worked in the past were not working. Well we took care of that issue and now my hair is behaving a lot better and my conditioners are working again...who knew. My hair did lack shine as well. So definately hard water affects natural shine and more.

Me to. I moved from a place with soft water, so I know how water is suppose to do hair. When i came here, the water had my hair feeling hard, I mean, hard to move, brick feeling, a tangleeeeed mess, breakage.

even with conditioners that normally work. keracare humecto after rinse, my hair was still hard. activator. NOTHIN works after the rinse. b/c i've used the water in the past, even if I use bottled water sometimes, the effects of that water is still in my hair...did you get the water softener ? I'll pm you.

honeybadgirl said:
:confused: :confused: um...how do you know if you have hard water:confused: :confused:

Well,I was having skin and hair problems. The lightbulb came on for me when my hair responded so well to Kenra Chelating and went back to being bad when I stopped. Then I got a water test from Ebay and that's how I found out.

There is a chart online somewhere about areas that have hard water, but that does not take into consideration the pipes that bring water into your home. They could be causing mineral deposits in your water even though your area does not really have a hard water problem.

HoneyDew said:
Well,I was having skin and hair problems. The lightbulb came on for me when my hair responded so well to Kenra Chelating and went back to being bad when I stopped. Then I got a water test from Ebay and that's how I found out.

There is a chart online somewhere about areas that have hard water, but that does not take into consideration the pipes that bring water into your home. They could be causing mineral deposits in your water even though your area does not really have a hard water problem.

thanks honey! thats interesting. i did get a water filter for my shower head months ago and actually it should be changed(several times over:grin: )
i was thinking yrs ago to do the lowes filtration system that others spoke of. i just wanted to used filtered water. i dont know whats going on with my water in my area or house:eek:

honeybadgirl said:
thanks honey! thats interesting. i did get a water filter for my shower head months ago and actually it should be changed(several times over:grin: )
i was thinking yrs ago to do the lowes filtration system that others spoke of. i just wanted to used filtered water. i dont know whats going on with my water in my area or house:eek:

I tried a filter once. It was a Vitashower filter that I ordered online. I did not like it. It did not help at all. Actually it made things worse. I read that most filters cannot remove calcium ,magnesium or lime from water. I think buildup of these are my problem. Actually I know that calcium is a problem because of the water tests I used.

But, you know I went on vacation in an area that has softwater and I did not like that either. I could not get my hair clean enough, well at least removing cones was HARD. I clarified several time and my ahir still felt sticky. I also read that soft water does sometimes require more lathers to get your hair clean.

I have found a happy medium with shampoos that contain EDTA (most do). That is a chelating agent that removes these deposits from hair. My facial cleaners has this, as well. I started using Keracare 1st lather and after 2 or 3 shampoos with that, my hair started back acted the way it used to. I felt like crying. But, I used Kenra clarifying ONE TIME and I could tell that is what my hair needed. Keracare does not contain EDTA and my hair could tell.

newflowers said:
What kind/brand of filter did you get for the shower?

it was just that new system that..whats his name...his last name is anton. he had that tv show. his 1st name is on the tip of my tongue:p i was all hyped when i was watching the show and he came up with this. i bought it from sephora.

I believe so, and I believe hard water causes major dandruff and shedding too. I realized this after washing my hair last night :ohwell:

HoneyDew said:
I tried a filter once. It was a Vitashower filter that I ordered online. I did not like it. It did not help at all. Actually it made things worse. I read that most filters cannot remove calcium ,magnesium or lime from water. I think buildup of these are my problem. Actually I know that calcium is a problem because of the water tests I used.

But, you know I went on vacation in an area that has softwater and I did not like that either. I could not get my hair clean enough, well at least removing cones was HARD. I clarified several time and my ahir still felt sticky. I also read that soft water does sometimes require more lathers to get your hair clean.

I have found a happy medium with shampoos that contain EDTA (most do). That is a chelating agent that removes these deposits from hair. My facial cleaners has this, as well. I started using Keracare 1st lather and after 2 or 3 shampoos with that, my hair started back acted the way it used to. I felt like crying. But, I used Kenra clarifying ONE TIME and I could tell that is what my hair needed. Keracare does not contain EDTA and my hair could tell.

well with the filtration system is that something you have to installed in the basement? or can it be installed where ever you want it? for example, just the kitchen sink or bathroom? i'll look into it.
when you talk about products, all i really use is aveda now...for the most part. i'm wondering....
also, i never had problem with shine with my hair...EVER!!! most of my life people think i have gray hairs through out but its just the gloss on my hair. sometimes i have to take a double look :). they say ooooh you have gray hair and now i'm to the point where i just say, it just the shine( i used to get excited and grab a mirror). they have a nerve to get an attitude when they inspect and see that its not gray!!

Last edited:
honeybadgirl said:
it was just that new system that..whats his name...his last name is anton. he had that tv show. his 1st name is on the tip of my tongue:p i was all hyped when i was watching the show and he came up with this. i bought it from sephora.

Jonathan Anton ?

Back