Help with breakage and shedding.

HairBarbie

I just don't know what to do with my hair anymore, I am having huge breakage and shedding issues.

I don't have a solid regimen, I just kind of go with the flow. Previously I was following the regimen posted here, then my hair started breaking again.
http://longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=35278
I have dry hair, so my hair needs a lot of moisture.

Lately I have been shampooing once a week with ORS aloe shampoo, followed by roux conditioner due to my porous hair, then do a protein treatment with motions silk protein and then deep condition with either Humectress or ORS replenishing pak. I co-wash 2 times a week alternating between humectress and HE LTR. I moisturize my hair with humectress mixed with S-Curl or S-Curl mixed with HE LTR leave in if I don't want to over moisturize my hair. I only use heat after relaxing (every 8 weeks, I'm trying to increase that to 10 weeks).

I do comb my hair almost daily, I tried the no-combing challenge and it took a while for my hair to recover from that and I had huge breakage. My hair gets plenty of movement when it's wet but after it's dry it stays soft but it barely moves. I usually clip my hair up with a big butterfly clip or put it into a bun using the roller set type pins.

After all this time, I still don't know how to create a solid regimen and stop breakage fully.

The products I use are:
1. ORS Aloe Shampoo(I use this once a week)
2. Clarify with Baking Soda 1-2X a month.
3. Nexxus hummectres(for deep conditioning, co-washing and moisturizer)
4.S-Curl
5. HE LTR leave in and conditioner
6. Africa's Best herbal Oil(for sealing)
7. CON shampoo
8. ROUX porosity control conditioner.
9. Motions Silk Protein
10. ORS replenishing pak
11. Elasta QP mango butter (it just sat on top of my hair and didn't moisturize).

Morenita

I don't feel experienced enough to give you advice at this point, but :bump:
and hopefully somebody else can.

Isis

I started out on LHCF with major breakage/shedding issues, mostly related to direct heat. But since I didn't have a regimen, I adopted some of Cathy Howse's regimen and it continues to work for me. :yep:

Perhaps simplifying your regimen will be the answer. Also, you may need to see if there are any conflicts with the product lines you are using. I like keeping my products in the same line because I know they are chemically compatible.

It helps to know why you are using each product as well as what is in your products. That way you know if you're using too much protein (causes breakage) or too much moisture (causes breakage). There needs to be a balance.

I see you use Nexus Humectress (which I love) to deep condition, condition wash and as a moisturizer (do you mean as a leave-in?). I see you are using S-curl. Ladies use this to add moisture. And you use LTR leave-in and conditioner. I see you use CON shampoo, which also conditions hair. That's a LOT of moisturizing conditioner and too much can make the hair mushy with breakage.

IMO, combing daily, especially with over-moisturized hair is asking for increased breakage.

You only need one moisturizing conditioner for deep conditioning (Humectress) and one good, leave-in conditioner.
You need one protein conditioner although it does not need to be used as often, depending on how your hair does with protein.

Also, not everyone does well with conditioner washing. You may want to reconsider and see how well your hair does without it.

HairBarbie

I have a Mane N' Tail protein conditioner. The reason I use a lot of moisture based products is because I have dry hair. My hair never feels mushy either, for some reason my hair hates protein except for once in a while.

Maybe I should try using Mane N' Tail once a week and see how that works. I guess I have to keep doing a lot of trial and errors until I get the perfect fit. I went without combing my hair for a week and got major breakage. Maybe I should only comb every other day and see how my hair does.

Thanks for your help ladies.