Constant Shedding/Breakage

nik1976

Ladies...I NEED YOUR HELP!

Here goes....I am about one month into LHCF and I have a major problem. While co-washing my hair (daily) in the shower I comb thru with conditioner and notice that I am losing so much hair (I use a small rattail comb). Not sure if they are split ends simply combing out or breakage....this is what scares me! I moved into an area that has horrible water, and I have scheduled Culligan to install a water conditioner. But I have listed my regimen below:
  • Co-wash daily twice daily (Nexxus Humetress/Nexxus Color Ensure )
  • Moisture after co-wash (BB-Honey Mayo)
  • Weekly poo (Motions Weighless Conditioning Shampoo)
  • Deep Condition (ORS Deep Conditioning Packet w/heat 30-45 mins)
  • Protective Style - Bunning with weave as my hair is not long enough to wear alone.
Any comments/suggestions will be great! Thanks ladies!

Faith

Can I ask why you are using a rattail comb to comb your hair? :ohwell: I assumed those were mainly for rollersetting/styling not for daily combing?

If you're sure it's NOT the comb then bump up on your protein. My money is on the comb.

Last edited:

rainbowknots

I think you need to get a wide tooth comb, that small rattail comb could be part of the reason. That's all the advice that I can offer because I'm a LHCFer in Training, but these ladies will help you out. Good luck!

brucebettye

Stop combing your hair with that rattail comb, this may be adding to your breakage. It would be better to use a wide tooth comb when you detangle your hair in the shower. I hope this helps.

LovelyRo

I agree with others... get you a wide tooth seamless comb! You may want to decrease the number of times your co-wash per week... that may be too much manipulation for you. Especially if you are detangling 2x's a day and getting a lot of breakage each time you detangle... But seriously, get rid of that rattail comb!

FlawedBeauty

oh my dayum!!!! girl u betta not be usin no rattail comb to comb through ur wet hair in the shower!! that may be part of your problem. :ohwell: they can be fine if used properly on damp hair after the shower as slyver2 (i think) demonstrates in one of her vids, but i wouldnt go rakin it through sopping wet hair in the shower :nono:

LaidBak

co-washing twice a day? Did I read that correctly?
"Co-wash daily twice daily "

If you don't mind my asking, why twice a day?

peppers01

co-washing twice a day? Did I read that correctly?
"Co-wash daily twice daily "

If you don't mind my asking, why twice a day?

That's what I was thinking. If you're co-washing your hair 2x's a day, everyday, then that may be part of your problem. If you're not clarifying or doing protein treatment regularly, and continuosly co-washing like that, you can cause a moisture overload. This makes your hair so soft that it breaks because it's weak. There has to be a balance between moisture and protein in the hair. Too much or little of either , can cause breakage.

Then combing with a rattail comb:nono:. This is what I use when detangling, works so great! And that's how much hair is on it after detangling.

natural2008

girl if you do not leave that rat tail comb alone. Better yet get rid of it and get you a wide tooth comb. Girl that comb is bad for hair.

gissellr78

Ladies...I NEED YOUR HELP!

Here goes....I am about one month into LHCF and I have a major problem. While co-washing my hair (daily) in the shower I comb thru with conditioner and notice that I am losing so much hair (I use a small rattail comb). Not sure if they are split ends simply combing out or breakage....this is what scares me! I moved into an area that has horrible water, and I have scheduled Culligan to install a water conditioner. But I have listed my regimen below:
  • Co-wash daily twice daily (Nexxus Humetress/Nexxus Color Ensure )
  • Moisture after co-wash (BB-Honey Mayo)
  • Weekly poo (Motions Weighless Conditioning Shampoo)
  • Deep Condition (ORS Deep Conditioning Packet w/heat 30-45 mins)
  • Protective Style - Bunning with weave as my hair is not long enough to wear alone.
Any comments/suggestions will be great! Thanks ladies!

You should only be using a wide tooth comb unless your rollersetting!!!! the rattail comb is breaking your hair

nik1976

Ok Ok...sounds like I need to put the rattail away....DONE and up my protein and make co-wash once daily. Thanks bunches ladies!