Help with damaged ends

Shawnee66

If the ends look tangled does that mean it's damaged? I don't have splits ends they just look like they are tangle and jagged.

I have a problem my ends look horrible no matter what I do to them. I don't think they are overprocessed from the relaxer because I have never (even before discovering LHCF) smooth my relaxer to the ends. I only relax new growth. But I notice that my ends always look damaged even when I do a rollerset. I just cut my ends because I was fustrated but I know within a month they will look like this again. I don't own a camera so I can't take photos of the ends.

If they are tangled, can't the tangles just be combed out? Otherwise, maybe they are just dry? do you focus on your ends when you moisture and condition? do you use a blow dryer or a flat iron or curling iron? I have no idea, just some thoughts.

Thanks for responding. The only time I use heat is when I rollerset and that once or twice a month. I use salerm 21 and WGO on the ends after I wash. I let it air dry and then I put it in a bun and wrap with a satin scarf. When I say the ends look tangled I mean when they are dry. I have tried it brushing with a boars hair brush. I have deep conditioned and nothing seems to help.

Sounds like your ends may be needing more moisture. Keep in mind that Salerm 21 is not really a moisturizer and delivers silk protein to the hair. Neither is WGO a moisturizer. Do you use any cream/lotion moisturizers on your ends?

I use profectiv healthy ends the next day after. Sometimes I use bed head ego boost but I stop because I don't have split ends. What other moisterizers would you recommend?

By the description of your ends, I'd recommend any type of moisturizer without protein. Healthy ends have protein in the ingredients. Maybe that's why your ends haven't improved? I don't know how you wear your hair daily....my hair is always in a bun...and for bun wearers and when it comes to keeping the ends in tact (from my own experience), I've found SCurl to be the best. It really keeps the ends soft and moisturized to perfection (and with the cold weather /images/graemlins/up.gif ). Now, if you wear your hair out in curls, etc., that's a different story. HTH

ETA: Try smoothing a little of your WGO over your ends after applying the SCurl, before putting into a bun. /images/graemlins/up.gif

DRY..SCURL to wet hair results in tangles for me. I would even suggest unbraid spray. It keeps the hair from matting or tangling...

Thanks ladies. Now let me make sure I got this right. I let it dry and then before I put it in a bun I spray my ends with either Scurl or Unbraid. Do you do this daily.

Using SCurl on dry or damp hair works great for me! I guess it's best to experiment w. your hair to see what works best. I use this daily or every other day...depends on my hair. /images/graemlins/cool.gif For example, yesterday I saturated my ends w. SCurl and topped w. oil. Then I put in a single braid and folded it under itself, securing w. a scrunchie. Today I added nothing to my hair because it's still very moisturized and smooth. Tomorrow I will probably moisturize again, if necessary.

If you air-dry all the time, that's probably the culprit. I always air-dry and my ends usually look pretty raggedy, but they're NOT! They just look crashed because that comes with the territory with air-drying. I keep mine in a bun or cornrows most of the time though so it doesn't really matter.

[ QUOTE ]
If you air-dry all the time, that's probably the culprit. I always air-dry and my ends usually look pretty raggedy, but they're NOT! They just look crashed because that comes with the territory with air-drying. I keep mine in a bun or cornrows most of the time though so it doesn't really matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
That was my first thought. But then she mentioned that they look damaged even after a rollerset... I airdry all the time....but when I rollerset every 3 or 4 mths., my ends are usually silky smooth. /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

I had the dsame problem. Now I moisturize daily and coat my ends lightly with A & D ointment and I noticed a difference immediately!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That was my first thought. But then she mentioned that they look damaged even after a rollerset... I airdry all the time....but when I rollerset every 3 or 4 mths., my ends are usually silky smooth. /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I should have read more closely. But Shawnee, are you sure that they're damaged? You say that you never overlap, perhaps they're underprocessed?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I should have read more closely. But Shawnee, are you sure that they're damaged? You say that you never overlap, perhaps they're underprocessed?

Back