Help With Length

Growingitlong

Ok ladies,

Tell me, how do you do it? I have been trying to grow my hair out since I joined LHCF last year. I would love to be able to say that my hair has grown so much but that is not the case. In fact, I have not gained any length. I thought I was doing all the right things but apparrently I am doing something wrong. So here goes, maybe you can help me out here.

My regimen
Wash and deep condition twice weekly (Africa's Best Hair Mayo or Motions CPR conditioner).
Surge on scalp and Africa's Best Hair Mayo Leave In after wash mixed with a little bit of olive oil on hair.
Castor oil on scalp when dry.
Reconstructor twice a month and before my relaxer (Optimum Hi-Protech or Aphogee 2 Minute)
Aphogee (stinky) a couple of times this year two weeks after touch up taking down braids which I wore for about six weeks.
I do my own braids, they are never tight or very small and I moisturize them with the curl activator type moisturizers.
I have been trying to do a GroAfroHairlong type of regimen.
When I am in braids, I wash my hair once a week and use Infusium 23 after washing.

Thanks for you help. I need all the help I can get. I am at my wits end. Can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

only think i can think of is that you are doing a reconstructor 2x per month. too me that seems a bit much. this can lead to brittleness and then breakage. how often are you relaxing you may need to stretch it out more.

Infusium 23 dried my hair out something awful! /images/graemlins/nono.gif And make sure you are extra gentle when you are removing your braids and detangling your hair.

[ QUOTE ]
I also thought you might be using too much protein.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you Surging once or twice a day? Why not try washing your hair once or twice a week instead of every 2 weeks. You should only use a reconstructure once a month.

What condition was your hair in when you started your regimen? I was thinking that if you needed a big trim or something and didn't get it, that could definitely delay length goals. You have to start off in a good state in order to move forward. Not sure if that's the problem though.

More than likely you are achieving growth. I would focus on treating your ends with great care. Also what kind of hair are you using to braid? Are you rinsing that hair before putting it in your hair? Infusium 23 and I don't get along either. Maybe you can try and switch up, try 911 instead.

How often do you apply the olive oil? Maybe you can apply a little bit every day and spray your braids with a liquid leave in every day.

When I used to wear braids, I rinsed my braids with water everyday.

HTH

Yes Sassygirl, I am always gentle with my hair. I take extra care when removing my braids aand don't comb my hair when it's dry. I only use the Infusiun when I am in braids and that is once a week after washing, then I spray on teh curl activator/moisturizer.

well, before I joined the boards I washed my hair once a week but mainly used instant conditioner. I did a deep condiitioning at a salon maybe 3 to 4 times a year.

But when I started my growing out process, I strted with a fresh trim. My hair was in pretty good condition, though cause I never really used heat on my hair and mainly wore it in a ponytail (tuck under) or wrapped or in once cornrow down the back. I nver was one to use a lot of grease although I did use it.

I did rince my hair quite often maybe 3 times a week, cause I found that it kept me cool. I live in a tropical climate.
But I only shampooed once a week.
I use kanekalon here when I braid my hair and yes I did the vinegar rince on them priour to braiding.

Olive oil, I use mainly when I am out of braids on my hair, castor oil on my scalp (hoth in and out of braids). I have in the last couple of months been doing olive oil pre shampoo treatments.

I do have some 911 but have not been using it. I shall give it a try. Thanks a lot.

I'm with those who think you are using too much protein. The hair mayo, CPR twice a week and then also reconstructing twice a month sounds like waaaay too much protein! I would try reducing the protein treatments to only twice a month and see how that works. Your regimen sounds like you could modify to add a lot more moisture and less protein, IMO. Make sure to read the product to make sure there is no "hydrolyzed-anything" in it. Usually that is code for protein that penetrates the hair shaft. If you are also eating a diet high in protein (low-carb for instance), your hair may be very thirsty!! Remember, water should be the first ingredient in your choice of a moisturizing product. I learned all this right here on this site! Through trial and error, I have added about 6 inches in a year to my hair. If I ever learn how to add photos, will show you...

Hey Keisha-girl and dannie, and those of you who suggested that it may be too much protein, you may be right. I have been having a hard time keeping my hair moisturized so that may very well be the problem. I shall try laying off the protein for a while and see how that goes. Thanks ladies for your imput.

All I can say is try to keep your protein and moisture levels balanced and make sure your ends are protected, properly moisturized and not breaking. The problem seems to be w. retaining length so focus on keeping your ends healthy. Also, as was said before, too much protein can lead to breakage....so try to space out your protein treatments and use only when needed. HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would suggest mixing your castor oil in with the Surge and Infusium. I also wear braids and use Infusium as suggested on crown and glory website.

I think you should focus on your ends and maintaining legnth. I was not a big fan of protective hair styles but they have made the difference in my hair growth. I use the baggie mthod at night and wear a bun daily (I'm on the bun challenge). I seal my ends with jojoba or olive oil every night. I also use one of these oils as a pre shampoo treatment once a week.

Try cutting back on the protein treatments and focus more on moisture especially on those delicate ends. HTH

I agree with those who said too much protein. I dont know about that Optimum, but Aphogee is nothing to mess with! If you still want to do a reconstructor, go with a light one, like Aubrey GPB or Nexxus Keraphix. I think that Aphogee is killin it for you.

Thanks for the ideas ladies. I just guess it must be the protein, then since most of you seem to zoom in on it. I shall ease up on protein for a while and see how it goes.

I do the oiling of the ends every night and since last month after my last touch up I began using the baggie technique. I hope it works out for me.

Actually, I added some oiive oil to my surge along with a few drops of peppermint oil a couple weeks ago. I shall try adding some to the Infusium next time I put in braids if I sstart using it again.

I am almost alwaays in a protective style. The last time I wore my hair out was Christmas, except for one braidout I wore earlier this year.

Back