HELP••Need ideas & pics for a bridesmaid style

Mook's hair

I'm in a wedding April 3rd.:grin:

The theme of the wedding is
Harlem Renaissance.

I want to represent with my natural hair.
I am not opposed to blow drying but, I do not want to wear it super straight.
I am experimenting with styles. Here's the first experiment.
There are more pics of it in my album.

I don't really like how the front turned out. I'd love to have a wavy, soft fingerwave look but don't know how to accomplish it with 4ab natural hair.

I'd love some ideas from all of you or if you can post pics or direct me to websites that show how black women were wearing their hair during the 1920s and 1930s I want to be super-fly!

This is the gown but in chocolate brown

I've already looked up Lena Horne Dorothy Dandridge & Billie Holiday styles.

Oh, and it has to be an up-do.

discobiscuits

i don't have any suggestions just WOW @ how your hair has grown since your transition and chop. you and your hair are positively beautiful and in that dress add stunning to that :yep:

i like that up do in your OP. i don't see why you can't do that up do.

daydreem2876

carpe diem
Could you try a bantu knot set on the front and see what happens? Maybe if you could find some older women ans ask how they styled their hair back in the day and what with.

virtuenow

ooh - ooh, sounds like fun! try a tight twtist out style like a 1920-40's inspired bouffant. Shingai Shoniwa (singer) of the Noisettes wears those styles the best. I will try to link u to some pics:
shingai.jpg

shingai8.jpg

shingaishoniwa noisettes2.jpg

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Could you try a bantu knot set on the front and see what happens? Maybe if you could find some older women ans ask how they styled their hair back in the day and what with.
that's a good idea.. bantu knots often come out looking like fingerwaves for me on stretched hair.
that style turned out really cute, mook.:yep: gosh, your hair is thick-i'm jealous.
i have two styles that i think might help out:
an updo (sorry about the sideways pics-i'm kinda lazy):

didn't really bother to fix the pieces in the back...i wasn't going anywhere special...:look:
and here's a bantu knot out that ended up looking a bit rollerset-ish...you could definitely turn a set like this into an updo

what a great theme!! i bet it's goin to be fun and so lovely :yep:

yods

I don't have pics but last time around when I was natural I used to do a lot of updos with braidouts. Braidouts come out really wavy on my hair. I did swoop bangs with the front, pinned with a jewelled pin to the side. Then a messy pinned updo for the back.

Hope that makes sense.

Alta Angel

Hi Mook,

I saw a YouTube Tutorial titled "Flapper Chignon" from crownofhisglory a while back and I thought it was so chic! Your front "bang" section could be made into one large pin curl (you could use decorative pins) and a side bun. Check out the tutorial and see what you think.

MummysGirl

I really like your updo :yep: It's beautiful!

I was going to suggest a twistout for a wavy look in front but a bantu knot out, as suggested by other ladies, looks like it might work as well.

Mook's hair

Yeah, I've been asking around but most of them have amnesia about how they did their hair back then.
I can never get bantu knot sets to come out right. Do I need to use setting lotion?

ooh - ooh, sounds like fun! try a tight twtist out style like a 1920-40's inspired bouffant. Shingai Shoniwa (singer) of the Noisettes wears those styles the best. I will try to link u to some pics:
Last night I tried a bouffant and my husband looked at me like I had 2 heads. I think I'll play around with it a little more to try & get it right.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll check out that wedding site & the youtube.

Rocky91 - That style is lovely. I think I'll try that one in the next few days.

daydreem2876

carpe diem
^^^ Actually, i have been using SE designing mousse. Setting lotion took to long to dry and did not hold quite right.

Pooks

I think the style in your OP is gorgeous girl!! IA with tryin out a bantu knot out on the front section. I don't use setting lotion, just start out wih damp moisturised hair and use a heavy leave in. Give it ample time to set like a day or more if possible and u should get a really tight set. Keep us posted!

Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I think the style in your OP is gorgeous girl!! IA with tryin out a bantu knot out on the front section. I don't use setting lotion, just start out wih damp moisturised hair and use a heavy leave in. Give it ample time to set like a day or more if possible and u should get a really tight set. Keep us posted!
i must disagree-bantu knots come out really tight on wet hair for me and most other 4a/bs-they become extremely coiled curls, which is cute but...what mook needs is a wavier texture.
i'd suggest doing them on blowdried hair with a little bit of pomade on the ends for hold.

Pooks

i must disagree-bantu knots come out really tight on wet hair for me and most other 4a/bs-they become extremely coiled curls, which is cute but...what mook needs is a wavier texture.
i'd suggest doing them on blowdried hair with a little bit of pomade on the ends for hold.

I was just sharing what I would do but fair enough, if she's looking for wavier then yeah your suggestion's better

poookie

all the updos & styles posted here are gorgeous!

but as it's your friend's wedding, and not yours, be kind on the hair candy & accessories. you don't want to outshine the bride on her special day. :)

Whimsy

That Najwa Moses style is sooo cute! how do I do it?

trial and error?

I have no idea lmao i just got it from the link posted above, the wedding hairstyles blog. they have no info either, just photos. do some trial runs and see what you come up with!

Mook's hair

Do ya'll think I should try to achieve Soft finger waves or is it futile to try with all this thick type 4 hair?

Does anyone know how to do this...even on relaxed hair?