Hemp Seed oil... Would you recommend it???

After reading all 3 pages I think I will make a purchase of Hemp Seed Oil have a couple of questions though

-Is hemp seed oil act like a protein like coconut oil does or is it strictly for moisturizing properties (I need moisture) IMO it helps prevent moisture loss.

-Are you ladies using it as a sealer or mixing it into conditioners, if you are mixing into conditioners how much are you putting in there? Mixed in conditioner 1 T for my relaxed SL hair. I used the same amount for my DD's almost APL Natural thick hair. Next time for her I will use 1 1/2 TB.

-Where can I purchase I live in Toronto, Canada would I be able to find it at a GNC or Health food store, what brand should I get. At a hfs is good, Nutiva is a good brand

With all the positive testimonies I think I need this in my hair regime I have 4 a/b hair.
I hope it works out for you.

See the bolded responses

Yes i recommend it
I just began using it and am seeing improved moisture after two weeks
Imagine what my hair will be like in 3mths

Answer to Questions:
Using for sealing and occasionally mixing with conditioners, DC with wheat germ instead
Nutiva is the brand i have and purchased at Whole food store

Last edited:
Thank you, Miss Jae and Song of Serenity!

I deep conditioned overnight with some WGO and Sunflower oil and I used some Sunflower oil as a leave in this morning. I noticed that my hair is taking longer to dry. I think my hair is very porous and normally the outside is dry within about 10 minutes. :ohwell: But not today.

I read that ceramides are suppose to lower porosity, so I guess it does. :yep:

I haven't tried the hemp oil yet. Is there a big difference between Hemp, WGO and Sunflower?

I recently tried hemp seed butter from afroveda to seal my hair. I put on my water based leave in and sealed with hemp seed butter...my hair is super soft and tangle free...im going to get some hemp seed oil when I go to whole foods mid-week to replenish my kinky curly knot today!

I haven't tried sunflower oil. I have only used WGO along with hemp seed oil.. I've never used it alone. I have, however, used hemp seed oil alone and I loved it.

Thank you, Miss Jae and Song of Serenity!

I deep conditioned overnight with some WGO and Sunflower oil and I used some Sunflower oil as a leave in this morning. I noticed that my hair is taking longer to dry. I think my hair is very porous and normally the outside is dry within about 10 minutes. :ohwell: But not today.

I read that ceramides are suppose to lower porosity, so I guess it does. :yep:

I haven't tried the hemp oil yet. Is there a big difference between Hemp, WGO and Sunflower?

WGO I use with a conditioner but the HEMP I use is a pre cowash.

I am waiting til December to see the results, but so far I like how my hair is softer during the week.

Is Hemp Seed Oil less expensive at the grocery store then at Whole Foods? Trying to pick some up tomorrow and be cost effective..

I have some and use it for prepoo treatments. It makes my hair soft and it doesn't get stripped when I shampoo it. I want to start adding it to my DCs as well. I don't use it to seal because I find it quite heavy / greasy. HTH

I would recommend Whole Foods; I trust their grades of oil in comparison to the regular supermarkets [unless I know the brand]. I also drink Hemp Seed milk :yep: I add it to my smoothies, the Omega properties in Hemp seed are amazing. :up: :up: :up:

What are you guys doing to help the shelf life of the oil? Reading articles about how quickly it goes bad got me scared to even open it and expose it to air. :ohwell: lol...

Sorry to bump this but I have to know:

For anyone using Hempseed butter, is it like an actual edible butter? I just picked some up at the health food store today. Please tell me I purchased the correct thing. It was either the butter, or the oil. I opted for the butter.

I haven't used the butter but I LOVE the oil..
Sorry to bump this but I have to know:

For anyone using Hempseed butter, is it like an actual edible butter? I just picked some up at the health food store today. Please tell me I purchased the correct thing. It was either the butter, or the oil. I opted for the butter.

I add 1-2 tbsp hemp to my DC. LOVE IT.

I use to prepoo with WGO and DC with hemp and that worked well too. I'm now using Chicoro Prepoo which doesn't call for a ceramide.

I add 1-2 tbsp hemp to my DC. LOVE IT.

I use to prepoo with WGO and DC with hemp and that worked well too. I'm now using Chicoro Prepoo which doesn't call for a ceramide.
I'm using the chicoro Pre-poo too. I use aloe juice + WGO, then I come back with the EVCO. So, I'm still getting my ceramide fix :lick:

Back