Henna Appointment Tommorow and Scared

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the site. I just started the Oct/Mega Tek for my growth and thickness. Well, I'm also natural and looking to start wearing my hair out everyday. I've read quite a few threads about Henna however, I wasn't confident about applying the mixture myself.

I have found an Indian Beauty Salon that does henna treatments. She charges $20.00. I met with her and she showed me the henna and explained her application. I was told that before she applies the henna she would first coat my hair with oil and herbs to ensure that the hair wouldn't dry out and rinse properly.

Does this sound right?

When I did Mine, I Followed the Instructions which Said to Apply to Clean, Damp Hair. So, I normally Co-Wash My Hair with Something Super Moisturizing. Apply the Henna. (Not Sure about The Oils? Never tried that).

Wrap in Saran Wrap 3-4 Hours. Rinse Well w/water & Then Re-Rinse with V05Conditioner. DC (with Heat) and Proceed with Styling.

I Don't think You could mess it up if DIY. I was kinda nervous too the 1st time, but it turned out Really Great Plus it's natural.:yep:

Although i haven't henna'd before, I have read that some ladies put oil and different things in their henna to keep their hair from drying out. So this seems about right! May some one else can chime in to provide more help!

Somewhere in one of the recent henna threads, someone did post that she oils her hair first. When I did mine last week, I put a very, very small amount of coconut oil in my hair, and it didn't seem to disrupt the uptake of the color. You'll have to let us know how it turns out.

Adding oil to either the henna or to the hair directly is traditional, yes. :yep: I'd be interested knowing what kind of herbs she's going to add to it, though. :lick:

I did a henna treatment this past weekend. I applied oil to my hair and scalp after I washed and towel blotted my hair. My experience was a very good one. I believe that the oil kept my hair soft and tangle free.

I use coconut oil in my hair before I henna, no problems. There are a million and one ways to apply henna, I really don't think theres a WRONG way to do it. Please update us with your experience!

The hair oil is something new to me...but do let us know how it turns out. As its an actual indian place I would expect she knows what she is talking about but hope all turns out ok.

I really think you could do it yourself with no problem. However, do whats most comfortable for you. I've done applications a few times with no difficulty. The main thing is to rinse really good and you may add conditioner to help detangle. Hope your experience goes well and welcome aboard! :)

I hear oil can cause less color to deposit on the hair. But, I use olive oil on my hair, and I just make sure not to use it for several days before doing a henna treatment. I co-wash well the night before, and let my hair dry in braids before applying the henna. :yep:

***UPDATE*** My appointment to day left me disturbed and questioning... I visited this Indian Salon however, I was uncomfortable during the process and even after the process...

Question? After the henna is applied and left on for about 4 hours does the hair/scalp feel different. I'm not sure if the odor of the henna was a bit overwhelming, but I'm seriously debating whether or not I will ever do this again. After I removed the plastic wrap I had very uncomfortable feelings and did not feel normal again until I had completely washed all of the henna out of my hair...

Yep henna will change the way your hair feels. It probably wasn tthe henna that smelled strong but something that she mixed it with. Indian products are known to have very strong scents. Amla oil makes my mom gag. I don't use it when I'm going to be around her, but she henna's with no problems.

Back