More Henna=thick & thicker hair each time???

sweetgal

Hello ladies,

After months of thinking, I did decided to do my first henna treatment on Sunday and although my hair is kinda dry, becaue I did not deep condition afterwards, my hair is almost double the amount of thickness-just in one treatment. I LOVE IT!:yep:

I read (2 days) later that deep conditioning is very important after the henna treatment.:spinning: So I will try to do a deep condition treatment ASAP

My question is; Does henna make get thicker and thicker after each application? Can I expect my hair to gain major thickness becaue of this treatment or is this a one time thing? Because if it does help me gain thickness, this henna will be a keeper!:drunk:

I should not have slept soo long on henna--one thing though, I didn't really get the intense shine everyone else and their mama got from their henna treatment. Is there something I can do to get this shine?

Last edited:
Did you add any type of oil to your henna? I've used olive and grapeseed oil and I'm thinking that's what gave me a nice shine.

Thanks for repsonding. I added almond oil, and some castor oil. Can you tell me if you hair got any thicker from the treatment?

My hair is fairly thick to begin with but I have read how some ladies have experienced thicker hair and if they stop using it for awhile then they can tell how the "thickness" has dissipated a little.

Now if your asking if henna has a cumulative effect in terms of thickness I am not really sure...I want to know this too.

I can only speak to my experience, but the first henna, I was amazed at how heavy my hair felt. I haven't gotten as "heavy" of a feeling since that first time:look: So my guess is thatthere is a maximum saturation point. But I hope others will share their experience.

I think the thickness is perceived because henna add body (stiffness) to the hair.

I would not skip the deep conditioning, or you're just asking for trouble.

I didn't get any super shiny results either my first time.

I've been using henna and indigo appx. monthly for over a year, now. But all of the henna and deep conditioning has my hair in really good shape. It's sheeny when dry with no product, and shiny when oiled. I think the results are cumulative if your hair is fairly good shape, if your hair is a complete mess, then you may get some extraordinary results immediately.

i've been henna-ing 1x a month since October... now i have fine strands, but i've always had a whole lot of them, so my hair's always looked thick... but i noticed a real difference in the thickness of my blowdried hair last week when i henna-ed... it was a LOT thicker! i wish i'd taken pics in oct. so i could do a comparison.

i should mention that each time i henna, i do it for both color and conditioning purposes, and i always leave the henna in my hair overnight (between 12 - 15 hours each time) without oil.

That first 'jump' of thickness hasn't been replicated for me - but I think because there was such a major SHIFT from my virgin hair and my henna'd hair that the difference was obvious.

Henna 'wears' off some, but it's there until you grow your hair out, so you will KEEP most of that thickness - for a while. If you consistently henna, you will DEFINITELY keep the thickness you have now, and will add on to it - not as noticably as the first time, but it will definitely still 'layer' on.

My hair is slowly getting thicker and thicker, and it's not until I look back say - a year - at the size of my two strand twists does it really jump out at me....

If you only henna'd - say, once a year or so, you might get that 'jump' everytime, but I don't know.

You may want to do a search on Kinikakes experience with henna (she has pics in her fotki too). Her hair became noticeably thicker from henna, but, if I recall correctly, she said the thickness effects would wear off between applications.

I haven't fully henna'ed but I have henna glossed. I noticed thickness and sheen immediately. It was really great for my hair (stronger, thicker, less breakage.... BUT my hair NEEDS low levels of protein and henna makes my hair feel like I had a protein treatment only better.) I think I'm going to do a full henna only treatment then DC after my next relaxer.:yep:

Henna does coat and penetrate each hair strand, thickening the hair. :yep: My hair is naturally thick but became noticeably thicker after my first henna treatment.

From www.hennaforhair.com:

Henna also penetrates the hair shaft, strengthens it, smooths the cuticle, thickens the hair, making your hair more resistant to breakage.

Hi. I did my very first Henna on Sunday too. It made my hair feel strong and thick with lots of body and a nice sheen. Adding vatika oil amped up that sheen. I made my mix with Mumtaz henna, amla powder and white vinegar. I am really feeling black hair lately and didn't have any indigo, but I do like how my henna color "jumps out" under certain lights :yep: I am still trying to get decent pics, but do have a few in my fotki for the general idea. There is also a video clip demonstrating the body and thickness I got in the "My Videos" section.

On Monday, my hair felt kinda dry, but looked really good. Lavendar suggested that on my next henna, to lightly oil with coconut oil just prior to adding the henna for softer results. To address the dryness, I moisturized and did a whole head baggy. I oiled my hair on Tuesday night, as I usually do for overnight prepoo oilings. This time, I added a bit more and massaged a little longer. I cowashed yesterday, and today all is good! No more dryness. Lots of sheen and softness. I'll be doing henna again. Love it!

Thanks to all who replied.

Med Mucky

Your hair is beautiful, so thick, strong and full of body. I'm going to try some of the ingredients you tried for my next henna treatment. I'm also going to do my dc after my henna treatment to avoid the dryness. My hair feels really strong and thick. I cant believe that I slept on henna for so long! I love this, and I hope this can hel p me to maintain and add more thickness to my hair.

Med Mucky-your welcome! I only tell the truth. I can only wish that my hair will be like yours sometime soon.

I dont think that I will be trying indigo anytime in the very near future because my hair is already soo dark. I will try it when I get more grey hairs (hopefully not for a while)

I didn't really get too many highlights from henna. Actually the henna I have (Reshma Henna) kinda gave me brown highlights in the light or sun only. I really wish that I took before and after pictures. (I still have to buy a camera though) LOL

Back