Henna Itchies? Possible Allergic Reaction...IDK

pink219

OMG! I have henna (and very small amount of amla) on my hair right now and the back of my head toward the middle is itching like a mutha f#$%@. It's itching elsewhere on my head as well but not as bad as the back middle.

*Side Note: My head has been itching a lot lately though. I recently have been using Bee Mine Growth Serum and my head itches a lot with that too but it's getting thicker so I continue to use it. I'm not allergic to sulfur.

My scalp is not dry and I rarely have ever had dandruff or anything.

Does this mean my hair is growing? Or could it be an allergic reaction?

I guess I'll let you know when I rinse this off my head.

FYI: My henna mixture consisted of olive oil, warm water, and some red wine vinegar (and a pinch of amla).

The same thing happens to me and I henna a lot. I haven't noticed any allergic reaction just a lot of itching. When I don't completely rinse out all the henna it happens as well.

I wondered what was up with that o_O I did my first henna last month and it got really warm and itched in the back of my head, but by the time it washed out everything was fine..on CurlyNikki's blog she provided a link to a site that talked about Henna and allergies, they say if you purchase a good quality henna (like Jamila) then you should be fine but if it is mixed with other things (like hennas that are marketed as "black henna" or "brunette henna") then you put yourself at risk because the manufacturers could be adding dangerous chemicals to the henna in order to give it that color. Here is curlynikki's link to one of her many henna posts, http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/04/more-henna-education.html these are really helpful with giving you an idea of what to expect before during and after your treatment. HTH! :yep:

P.s. here's the link to an article about henna and allergies http://abcnews.go.com/Health/AllergiesNews/Story?id=7401149&page=6

OK so I rinsed my henna out, and as I was rinsing it out and using conditioner to make sure i got everything out, my head was still itching so bad! So then I kept rinsing and then used shampoo (sulfate free) and that made it MUCH better. Then I deep conditioned.

I don't know why my head was itching so bad. I liked the way my henna'd hair turned out. I'll give it a another try (next month). Maybe I should lay off the red wine vinegar in my mixture, maybe that made it itch so bad. I really don't know. My head feels much much thicker where it was itching really bad though.

Who knows?

OK so I rinsed my henna out, and as I was rinsing it out and using conditioner to make sure i got everything out, my head was still itching so bad! So then I kept rinsing and then used shampoo (sulfate free) and that made it MUCH better. Then I deep conditioned.

I don't know why my head was itching so bad. I liked the way my henna'd hair turned out. I'll give it a another try (next month). Maybe I should lay off the red wine vinegar in my mixture, maybe that made it itch so bad. I really don't know. My head feels much much thicker where it was itching really bad though.

Who knows?

Could be the vinegar. Try your mix with just plain warm water and a dash of oil on freshly conditioned, damp hair.

Henna is acidic. Thus, if your scalp tends to itch with other acidic treatments (ACV rinses, etc) then it's likely it will itch with henna as well.

I think I know the feeling you are talking about - tingly, stingy, kinda itchy? I get the same feeling when I don't dilute my acid rinse enough.... :yep:

Ah - just saw that you mixed ACV with it - yeah, that could up the acidity of the overall mixture that your scalp could easily have been complaining about that. :yep:

Back