Henna to cover gray hair

demlew

Hi all. I need advice for a family friend, please. She wants to use henna to cover the gray and preferably keep it close to her natural hair color. Does anyone know which brand would be good for her? TIA.

Attachments

• Henna Pic 2.jpg
    Henna Pic 2.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 12
  • Henna Pic 3.jpg
    Henna Pic 3.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Henna Pic 1.jpg
    Henna Pic 1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 13

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
It looks like your friend's hair is dark brown. Yes?
If so, she would have to use a combination of henna and indigo.
The use of just henna would only make her grays orange-red. I also recommend some Amla powder to add to her henna mixture, especially if she is natural. Amla will help maintain her curl pattern and provide the acidity (or terp) for her mixture.

Many henna brands can be purchased on Amazon, though henna from Henna Sooq and Mehandi/Tap Dancing Lizard (Ancient Sunrise Henna) websites is perfect. She can get separate packs of henna and indigo or find both items in a kit.

These are the two of the three brands I've tried from Amazon. The 3rd one and my favorite (Matru Ayurveda) has limited availability, and the price went up substantially.

Godrej Nupur Henna (both are the same, just different packing).
1628247688639.png

Zenia Henna and Zenia Indigo (separately or in a kit)
1628247119319.png

Last edited:

demlew

@january noir
Thank you for the advice! I use and love Nupur and I showed her how it turns my grays the color you mentioned. I hadn’t experimented with indigo, so I’ll look into your recommendations. Thanks again.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
@january noir
Thank you for the advice! I use and love Nupur and I showed her how it turns my grays the color you mentioned. I hadn’t experimented with indigo, so I’ll look into your recommendations. Thanks again.
My pleasure. As you use henna already, she can rely on you to help her. Let me know if I can provide any other information or tips. I color my hair black with henna and indigo (2-step process), and I know to get deep browns, you make a mix of both powders separately and then mix them together, then apply.

demlew

My pleasure. As you use henna already, she can rely on you to help her. Let me know if I can provide any other information or tips. I color my hair black with henna and indigo (2-step process), and I know to get deep browns, you make a mix of both powders separately and then mix them together, then apply.
Which liquid would you suggest we use in our mix for a first-time user?

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Which liquid would you suggest we use in our mix for a first-time user?
Warm, purified water and the Amla powder (1-2 tablespoons). That is all. No elaborate mixes are needed.
Today's hennas are finely sifted (no sticks or twigs) and rinse out very well. Follow up your henna/indigo treatments with a nice moisturizing conditioner as a cherry on the top.

demlew

Warm, purified water and the Amla powder (1-2 tablespoons). That is all. No elaborate mixes are needed.
Today's hennas are finely sifted (no sticks or twigs) and rinse out very well. Follow up your henna/indigo treatments with a nice moisturizing conditioner as a cherry on the top.
Perfect! Thanks again for the help. I’ll be sure to take pictures of the results.

FelaShrine

Is there a way/ratio for a nice rich black but not like a deep blue black?

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Is there a way/ratio for a nice rich black but not like a deep blue black?
This is what I found online:

1631299428212.png

Also, I found this:
If you are looking to achieve jet black hair keep the consistency of henna to indigo equal,i.e, 50:50 but if you are aiming to achieve brown color and not black then keep the consistency of henna to indigo of about 2:1.

FelaShrine

Thanks january, I was curious on what your ratio was, of course Im not sure how you perfer your hair to come out when you do yours. Thanks for the link.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Thanks january, I was curious on what your ratio was, of course Im not sure how you perfer your hair to come out when you do yours. Thanks for the link.
I color my hair black, black, so I do the two-step process, henna first, rinse out, and then apply indigo mix.