"Her hair is a WEAVE!"

SEMO

I don't worry to much about that kind of thing anymore. Some people will never be convinced. For them the only options are: mixed, relaxed, texturized or Indian in your family. To admit otherwise would make them have to re-evaluate what they might be doing wrong with their hair.

Crystalicequeen123

Thanks for the input ladies. I'll try to keep things in stride from now on, and not let those comments bother me so much. I guess I took it very personally because the comment came from my mom, and ever since I've been on the LHCF, and have been TRYING to grow longer, healthier hair, my mom has ALWAYS had something negative to say. :mad: When I was relaxing my hair bone-straight every 6-8 weeks, using a curling iron every single day, and not even giving a care as to what products I put in my hair, she wouldn't say a peep. Not a single word about my hair.

But now that I've been trying for the past 4 years to grow my hair long, keep it healthy, and discover new hair-care techniques, all I hear is negative things! :wallbash: "You have way too many hair products", "your hair is thinning on the edges", "you really should use a curling iron so that your hair is straight that way it won't break off", "you need a stronger relaxer in your hair", "If you want to go natural, there's a better way to do it", :blah: blah blah blah....

UGH! Sometimes it really gets on my nerves. So, when she just made that comment about that woman out of the blue out loud to everyone in the car, I almost felt like it was a personal attack against me. Almost like she was trying to prove to me that black women can't grow hair that long, and that if a black woman's hair IS long, it's most surely a weave....so why even try??

But, maybe she wasn't thinking that at all. :nono: Maybe I was just getting on the defensive. I usually don't get so frustrated about what black women say about black hair.

I hate to say it.......but........we as african-americans ( sistas) can be our on worst enemy !!!!!! so sad .
Yep! So true! :yep:

I'm just grateful that I know better, they really dont know, some of them.
YES!! I'm thankful just about everyday that I found this board 4 years ago. I dont' know what I would have done without it! :notworthy

Chrissmiss

Personally i don't really care if other black women think that they can't grow long hair. That's their problem. However if they are open minded I don't mind sharing my knowlegde. If not they can go ahead and be unhappy with their hair.

locabouthair

Personally i don't really care if other black women think that they can't grow long hair. That's their problem. However if they are open minded I don't mind sharing my knowlegde. If not they can go ahead and be unhappy with their hair.

EXACTLY..

their beliefs dont have nothing to do with me and my goals. I hear ignorant comments. I have people tell me I need to grease my scalp, and I need to get a weave and I just ignore it and keep it moving..