Herbs for hair care

katblack

What do you know of these herbs and uses for hair care and maintenance, or any herbs for that matter?

Here goes:
HORSE TAIL
ROSE HIPS
BURDOCK ROOT
FENUGREEK SEED
NETTLE LEAF
MULLEIN
MARSHMALLOW

I know little on all these herbs and would like to expand my knowledge. I know I can do a research but it is sometimes easier to verify previous information as opposed to finding them.

Thanx!

HORSE TAIL-hair growth & stimluation
ROSE HIPS-good for skincare, scars, keeps scalp clean
BURDOCK ROOT- moisturizing, soothing to scalp, releases mucilage (like nature's silicone)
FENUGREEK SEED- stimulating, cleansing, moisturizing, releases mucilage
NETTLE LEAF- hair growth & stimluation
MULLEIN- don't know
MARSHMALLOW-moisturizing, soothing to scalp, releases mucilage

irish moss-moisturizing, releases mucilage
sea kelp-stimulating, moisturizing, releases mucilage
comfrey-moisturizing, soothing to scalp, releases mucilage
hibiscus-hair growth, keeps hair dark, the leaves can be used for cleansing

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkherb/bulkherb.html

Rosemountainherbs gives a quick overview of these herbs, and you can also buy in bulk as well. I have the Fenugreek,Nettle,& Horsetail powders from here. They all contribute to the growth & strength of the hair. I use a small amount of these in my cowashes, sometimes I make a tea with all three. I also have homemade oil infused with these three as well. I do know the Fenugreek is an Ayurvedic herb commonly used for hair loss. It releases mucilage when the seeds or powder is wet, which is why most ladies prefer to use this as a tea. Also it give a lot of slip to the hair.The Horsetail is Silica, which is VERY beneficial to the hair, I find my hair is Very soft when I add this powder to my cond. but it does contain Nicotine. Nettle I don't have much info on hand on it, but it is commonly found along with Horsetail & a host of other herbs for hair loss treatments & in some hair vitamins like Nioxin. I also noticed that when I use the Horsetail & the Nettle it kinda hypes me up, so I only do this during the day. I haven't had any experience with the others listed, hopefully someone else will chime in. HTH

What do you know of these herbs and uses for hair care and maintenance, or any herbs for that matter?

Here goes:
HORSE TAIL
ROSE HIPS
BURDOCK ROOT
FENUGREEK SEED
NETTLE LEAF
MULLEIN
MARSHMALLOW

I know little on all these herbs and would like to expand my knowledge. I know I can do a research but it is sometimes easier to verify previous information as opposed to finding them.

Thanx!

I use nettle leaf religiously internally and externally. I do a nettle rinse as my final rinse after boiling nettle to make a tea. I also drink a glass a night. My hair has improved because of it and that, coupled with good eating increased my hair growth to over an inch a month (on bad months 3/4 an inch but that's still way more than my normal monthly amount). Now that I'm adding chlorella I'm hoping to increase even more. Hope you like it. I ordered nettle tea bags as it's easier to steep.

HORSE TAIL-hair growth & stimluation
ROSE HIPS-good for skincare, scars, keeps scalp clean
BURDOCK ROOT- moisturizing, soothing to scalp, releases mucilage (like nature's silicone)
FENUGREEK SEED- stimulating, cleansing, moisturizing, releases mucilage
NETTLE LEAF- hair growth & stimluation
MULLEIN- don't know
MARSHMALLOW-moisturizing, soothing to scalp, releases mucilage

irish moss-moisturizing, releases mucilage
sea kelp-stimulating, moisturizing, releases mucilage
comfrey-moisturizing, soothing to scalp, releases mucilage
hibiscus-hair growth, keeps hair dark, the leaves can be used for cleansing

Very informative and thanx for the added herbs:yep:

I use nettle leaf religiously internally and externally. I do a nettle rinse as my final rinse after boiling nettle to make a tea. I also drink a glass a night. My hair has improved because of it and that, coupled with good eating increased my hair growth to over an inch a month (on bad months 3/4 an inch but that's still way more than my normal monthly amount). Now that I'm adding chlorella I'm hoping to increase even more. Hope you like it. I ordered nettle tea bags as it's easier to steep.

So you're able to drink Nettle tea at night??? Do you think the Horsetail is the culprit in hyping me up??? (sorry for the hijack)

So you're able to drink Nettle tea at night??? Do you think the Horsetail is the culprit in hyping me up??? (sorry for the hijack)
Probably. Horsetail has nicotine
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/smoking/withdrawalsymptoms_000507.htm
Nicotine is a stimulant drug, but it works differently in different areas of the brain. For example, it soothes the limbic system, one of our most important emotional centres

I chose nettle because it doesn't and it's known to grow hair just as fast. Nettle is really calming so I drink it at night hot w/ some cream and some honey (I know it's weird but it works for me though cream isn't necessary).

Probably. Horsetail has nicotine
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/smoking/withdrawalsymptoms_000507.htm
Nicotine is a stimulant drug, but it works differently in different areas of the brain. For example, it soothes the limbic system, one of our most important emotional centres

I chose nettle because it doesn't and it's known to grow hair just as fast. Nettle is really calming so I drink it at night hot w/ some cream and some honey (I know it's weird but it works for me though cream isn't necessary).

I have organic Nettle powder from MRH, how much would I use to make a drinkable tea? I usually use 1 teaspoon in my hair teas & conds.

please dont ask me how to mix these coz i dont know....

rosemary....conditions the hair
sage......split ends

i have steeped rosemary leaves in hot water and used the liquid to add to my glycerine and aloe vera gel mix......or you can pour the liquid as a final rinse

I did an herbal rinse with rose hips, horsetail, and fenugreek with a final rinse of okra water which has even more mucilage than fenugreek. All I can say is my hair is really soft.
I will try to find more uses of these common and some uncommon herbs.

luckiestdestiny how long did it take to see the results of your nightly tea? Do you make your own from the herbs or do you get some pre-packaged?

I have organic Nettle powder from MRH, how much would I use to make a drinkable tea? I usually use 1 teaspoon in my hair teas & conds.
You know I would think like one. I have the nettle leaf in tea bags instead so I wouldn't have the best advice on this one.

luckiestdestiny how long did it take to see the results of your nightly tea? Do you make your own from the herbs or do you get some pre-packaged?

It took a few weeks or so to see results, but it's worth waiting. I get organic nettle tea from iherbs.com I use the NOW brand. I'm too impatient to make my own. That's why it's easy to make my tea rinse as it's already a bag that I just boil and throw in some herbs like rosemary and sage and be done with it.

I also drink it w/o the rosemary and sage of course!

I love nettle (and many other herbal) tea(s) too - didn't know it helps with hair growth though - should make sure I drink a cup a day then!

Thanks to OP for this thread - don't you just love the hidden and unknown properties of nature? I even have nettle growing as weed in my garden - all wonderfully organic and unadulterated - will pick masses of it this year, dry them up for use for a year and will try and do so every year. Horsetail is also a weed that causes many gardeners alot of grief - I got some from a gardener pal last year but somehow managed to kill them all:blush::blush::blush:. I also have comfrey growing in my garden - along with the nettle, they make a lovely, potent liquid manure (UBER smelly though). I shall harvest some for hair growth this year.

I wish we had the equivalent of Mountain Rose Herbs here in the UK..... I love their site - unfortunately, P&P and customs makes it not worth buying from them:sad:.

I infuse most of those in jojoba oil, allowing them to sit for a week or two, then use on my scalp 3 times a week. Be careful with Horsetail and Rosemary if you have high blood pressure and/or preggers.

Back