Hercules Sagemann

MissCrawford

So I recently ordered the jumbo rake and the lady star for the hell of it and I hate them both:perplexed. I have been using Mason Pearson combs since I decided to get serious about my natural hair ( 3 yrs ago). They are are simply fantastic (to me). The Hercules combs seem very rough and appear to snap my hair. I don't really have much breakage so it has to be the combs. Oh well, having said that I will continue my use of my lovely Mason combs. Just my two cents....:yep:

MissCrawford

Wow, maybe it's because my hair is fine but dense and yes they are seamless. It is as though I can hear the snapping and they also seem to get tangled with my ends. I've looked at them and they are indeed seamless but just don't seem to work for me...

Jewell

Hmm, and I was tempted to purchase a HS or MP comb; my hair is fine-textured but dense/thick too. I got a seamless "bone" comb from Hairsense on Ebay instead. I love the wide tooth rake I got. Works well for me. Still might order from hotcombs.com.

Last edited:

Jewell

:yep:Oh boy now you have me thinking about a bone comb:grin:

MissCrawford

Lol i hear that! Of course, most arent really made from real bone, but from some type of resin that can be hand filed/sanded to remove seams...at least those from Hairsense are. I just got my first seamless comb (all late), and in 2 weeks I see a difference and more ease of detangling.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I love all my combs -- Hercules Sagemann, Magic Star Jumbo Rake and my Hair Sense bone combs. They don't tug or cause breakage. I haven't tried Mason combs yet.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I have fine low density hair and I love my seamless combs from Hercules Sageman/hotcombs.net.

I have the Jumbo and Mini Rakes, Lady Star, 696, and 1975. I want to get the 6450 for roller setting and a 5580, but I'm waiting for a sale. They said the normally have one in the Spring.

I want to try the Hairsense combs, as well.

It's my understanding from people who've used both that the Hairsense combs are better on relaxed/straightened hair.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

southerncitygirl

i only use a shower comb on wash day and don't flatiron my hair much so i don't feel a need to get seamless or bone combs. they seem to work well for many but i know one size doesn't fit all with most things in life.

Tonto

I recently purchased a Hercules comb, I don't remember which one it is though. I heard a snap maybe twice when I detangled but my hair was very easy to detangle - considering the fact that I was in braid for almost 2 months!-

Beamodel

I have fine low density hair and I love my seamless combs from Hercules Sageman/hotcombs.net.

I have the Jumbo and Mini Rakes, Lady Star, 696, and 1975. I want to get the 6450 for roller setting and a 5580, but I'm waiting for a sale. They said the normally have one in the Spring.

I want to try the Hairsense combs, as well.

It's my understanding from people who've used both that the Hairsense combs are better on relaxed/straightened hair.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

I have relaxed hair and just purchased and used the HS 5580 & 6450 and I love them. I've never tried the bone combs or MP but as of right now HS is doing a great job for my hair.

Ann0804

I agree OP those expensive combs are worthless and pull your hair out in chunks. I have the jumbo rack and it only took me one use for me to retire that thing.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I have all three of the HS and I dont have a problem at all. I think they could use better material as sometimes I hate the sound they make, but I havent had detangling or breakage issues since using them.

coyacoy

I also have the HS jumbo rake and the lady star....love them both....i have fine hair, med density. I haven't experienced breakage as a result of using these combs

Fhrizzball

:blush: $80.00 on a comb!

Ya'll are out of my league. :lol:

She probably bought multiple combs and including the shipping it all comes up to that. I think they run for $13 and up on that site and they advocate a 3 comb method and the like. They are still pricey though.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
^^Exactly. It's not 80 per comb. lol

I have fine 4b medium/low density hair and I like my Magic Star rakes (jumbo and mini). I haven't bought any other types of combs. I finger comb gently as I use the combs. I've never had a problem with the combs using them this way. I may try the Mason Pearson's later though.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Ive had my hairsense bone combs since 2009.
Satisfied w/ the purchase.

veesweets

I love my HS 5580. I can definitely tell a difference between it and the BSS combs I was using before. I want to try the hairsense combs now to compare though. Mason Pearson is on my splurge list

ronie

I have the MP rake comb and the detangler and I love them both on my 4b natural hair. I just ordered the jumbo and mini rake star with 2 rat tail combs as back ups from hot combs. I hope I like them cause they re cheaper than the mason Pearson.

Rozlewis

I Love the Hercules Sagemann. I have a few of their seamless combs. I also have a few Mason Pearson and a few of the bone combs for Hair Sense. All of them are quality combs but my favorite are the Hercules Sagemann combs.

JJamiah

I am in love with my HS combs..no snapping or popping off of my hair...glides like butter....that and my tangle teezer are forever in my stash, no split or mid splitting issues or lack of growth.

Sent from my (SPH-L710) Galaxy III using LHCF