Hi....and a question.

Phoenix

Hi everybody. I've been checking out this site for a while and I finally decided to register. I've been looking around on the internet for info on caring for and growing my hair and the thing I liked best about this forum is that there doesn't seem to be any bad blood between the relaxed folks and the natural folks. Anyway, I have a question...right now my hair has been in two strand twists with extensions since the middle of January. The girl that did my hair thinks I need to come in and have the front re-twisted(of course). But, I kinda like it with some new growth showing. So my question is...is there any reason why I should get them tightened? Can it damage my hair if I leave them like they are? Thanks.

adf23

I don't know the answer to your question, but just wanted to say welcome!!! /images/graemlins/drunk.gif /images/graemlins/drunk.gif /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

skegeesmb

Welcome to the board. If you like the look you should keep it that way until the braids start to slip out. Tightening sounds hard on the hairline.

Allandra

Welcome to the board Phoenix. /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Hopefully, some of the ladies here that have sported twists can help you out with your questions.

daviine

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
adf23 said:
I don't know the answer to your question, but just wanted to say welcome!!! /images/graemlins/drunk.gif /images/graemlins/drunk.gif /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...what she said!!!!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Welcome! Bienvenidos! Bienvenue! Bem Vindo! Benvenuto! /images/graemlins/bouncy.gif

sweetcocoa

Welcome. I've never had twists..yet. But I agree with the poster that unless they are slipping tightening sounds hard on the hairline. I'd just wait till you need the whole head done if I were you.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
If you don't comb out and retwist the new growth, your hair could loc. When I've worn two-strand twists (without extensions), I've kept them in for a maximum of three weeks. At that length of time, the new growth was very tangled. I can't imagine what it would be like after more than twice that long. I'm sure that I would have to cut some of it off though.

LondonDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Phoenix said:
and the thing I liked best about this forum is that there doesn't seem to be any bad blood between the relaxed folks and the natural folks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Welcome to the board Phoenix

nita4

Welcome Phoenix /images/graemlins/wave.gif I'm texturized, but I would imagine that either way, you want to eliminate pressure on and around your hairline. If the twist are hanging by strands - thats pressure. If it's pulled back tightly, that is pressure. Understand? Then you may way to tighten, but still eliminate pressure?

HOTCHOCOLATE

Welcome to the board, /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ok, that area between the new growth and the relaxed hair is your weakest link. So, should the slipage fall in that area, you will have more stress place on your weakest part which could led to major breakage. You probably should have them re-twisted or if its close to time you plan on removing them (2-3weeks) go ahead and remove the few that are slipping. I removed my twists that were slipping because I did not want to pay for them to be re-done when I planned on removing them in 2 weeks. At night, I would twist and pin down the ones I took down and it looked good.

Phoenix

Thanks, everybody, for the good advice. Now I'm kinda scared that my hair might be locking, so I think I will just take them down since it's been about 2 mos. already.