hi, im new here

aikaa71

hi ladies.

i have been reading all the great advice for the past 3 months and finally registered!

Well here goes my hair story, Im currently relaxed, I think im a 4a/4b (not really sure about how this chart works , i would say my natural hair looks like the black supermodel roshumba(when she had an afro). My hair is about chin length in the front and just an inch of the base of neck at the back. My goal length is mid back length. I will soon be putting all this info on my signature.

I have a motions regular relaxer, i switched from Parneavu no lye(super strength) and im not happy with the motions, this is third time i have done a touch up with motions and after 2 weeks my hair looks like i need a touch up(the motions just makes my new growth less curly)Im considering going back to my no lye relaxer OR using the Motions super strength (maybe mix with oilve oil). Any advice on this will be appreciated, as this is the one major problem that im having. Im also experiencing some shedding and i would attribute this to the 2 textures (the roots with lye are
curly, the rest of hair with no lye is straight).

My regime is as follows:

pre shampoo hot oil treatment with olive oil or coconut oil (i try to do this at each time i shampoo)

shampoo with Keracare hydrating detangling shampoo or Elasta Q conditioning shampoo

Deep condition with ORS Mayo

Leave in - carrot oil or jojoba oil

I then use Soft sheen Break thru foam wrap and wet set with wire mesh rollers, dry under hooded dryer. When dry i remove rollers, use a little carrot oil and do a dry wrap.

Daily i apply carrot oil to ends and castor oil on the edges. most of the time i wear my hair pulled back(with a claw clip or in a bun) At night i wrap my hair and put on a satin warp

I do a protein treatment once a month , i use to use aphogee (i never liked the way it would get so hard on my hair) , for my last treatment(done on 11/01/03) i used IC one minute reconstuctor.

My vitamins are: 1 multi vitamin, b-complex, Omega 3, evening primrose and calcium and magnesium tablets

The only problem im having is the different textures on my hair and the shedding(started about 2 weeks ago (had my last touch up on 27/12/02)

Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

pebbles

Hi aikaa71,

Welcome to the board! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Try to avoid going back to a no-lye relaxer if you can. It's been reported endlessly that no-lye dries the hair out a lot more. Have you considered switching relaxers? One of our other members, (I think LondonDiva /images/graemlins/laugh.gif), suggests that ladies who have not had success with motions give the Affirm relaxer a try. You're hair may respond better to a different relaxer. Other than that, you're regime sounds pretty good. Welcome!

sweetcocoa

Hello and welcome. I don't relax anymore but when I did I was doing the no-lye thing...I agree with Pebbles...I wouldn't go back to the no-lye if I were you. I believe that is one of the major reasons I had the problems I had.

LondonDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
One of our other members, (I think LondonDiva ), suggests that ladies who have not had success with motions give the Affirm relaxer a try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the board Aikaa!!

Yes Pebby Pooh is right (good memory Pebs /images/graemlins/brainy.gif) try maybe going to a lye relaxer that's if you want to continue relaxing and maybe try Affirm instead of Motions. Motions for my coarse hair doesn't do a lot either, and doesn't take very well at all.

Ennyaa

Hi Aikaa and welcome! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Are you doing the relaxers yourself or are you having them done professionally? Just wondering.

hairfanatic

Hi aikaa71,

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you decided to join us! /images/graemlins/smile.gifWhen I was relaxed, I used to use Revlon Lye Relaxer and it worked great. My hair was smooth silky. I used that Motions on my husband and hated it. It didn't get it straight and was clumpy and hard to wash out. Be careful about switching relaxers because 3 months down the line you it could start to break. Since you have switched you should a recontructor or treatment like Aphogee to rebuild the hair and keep it strong.

Kitkat

Welcome! Thanks for joining us.

Motions also doesn't seem to do much on my 4a/4b hair. I used Motions Oil Moisturizing relaxer with lye on my hair the weekend before Christmas. It's barely 4 weeks later, and my roots are growing out. I used Motions because it's way easier to find than Affirm and much cheaper. But I think I'll bite the bullet and try to find Affirm, because that works really great. Lasts much longer. Maybe you should give Affirm a shot.

I agree with the others about ditching the no lye relaxer. No lyes are the reason my hair looked jacked up for years because they made my hair incredibly dry. Of course, daily use of the curling iron didn't help much either.

Your regime sounds good &amp; you're definitely on the way to good hair health. Thanks for joining us. I'm sure you have a lot to share.

aikaa71

Thank you all for the welcome notes and advice.

my regime is based on all the posts that i read here and i THANK YOU ALL for that. You ladies SAVED my hair

LondonDiva, the Motions relaxer was just not for me and i have some COARSE hair. I dont live in US and i have never seen Affirm in my local beauty supply shop. The only lye relaxer that i got good results from was Bantu and this was applied professionally.

it seems all the ladies are going for lye and i will take that good advice /images/graemlins/clap.gif My next touch will therefore be with lye AND NOT no lye. If i cant get the Bantu i will go for Revlon.