High School Styles

kedra70

Okay how about this - I'm 33 BTW - I did the asymetrical bob without asymetrical hair.

I would roll one side of my hair up REAL TIGHT and then bump the ends of my hair on the other side. How stupid was I? How come my mother didn't say anything? I needed my
beat!!

I remember in the late 80's (when I was in college) Sally's used to sell crimping barrettes. I used to SLEEP ON THOSE (they hurt like h*ll) and then roll up the hair stick out of the barrette so my hair would be crimped and curly at the same time! Again, where was my mother?

It's a wonder I have hair!

Ayeshia

The infamous aaliyah swoop bang with a ponytail...with the bangs practically glued to my head with gel. But i had to stop cuz my frehead was breaking out

Islandgirl

i was in high school 1997-2001. i wore my hair down every day, lol. i also wore my donut alot (sock that makes the bun) and i didn't put a scarf over that sock like you guys do. I also wore bantu knots in the front and let my hair hang down in the back. i was pretty conservative with my do's. i remember in junior high i wanted pin curls so badly ( i only wanted it because all the girls were doing it and it was hot at the moment), but my hair was still natural at the time. i finally got to do it in 10th grade, and i got to do it with all of my hair in contrast to my classmates and friends in junior high who used weaves.

inthepink

This is very funny!
The wrap was popular when I was in school, too but I hardly ever did that b/c I hated sitting under the dryer for 4 hours!

SilkyandSmooth

The wrap and Shirly Temple curls were popular when I was in high school. I think I must have worn my hair in one of those banana clips every single day. My hair was natural at that time, so it was thick and wavy.

alibi

hair bored
[ QUOTE ]
buffalosoldier said:

I am the only person who had a jheri curl ????

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I can't join you on the jheri curl, my mom would have
!!! But I did want one, like the girl in the Michael Jackson "Thriller" video!

jd_bdfly

Crimps. Yes. Who could forget those. We had the crimping irons and the waving irons. You would put gel in your hair before using the crimping iron. Then you knew it was doing it's work when you heard a nice sizzle, and voila... You had nice crimps or waves that were frozen in place.

The jheri curl was big when I was in elementary school (I'm 26), especially when everyone was still feeling Michael Jackson. I never wanted one. But when I was a kid, I always got teased because I had a ton of REALLY thick natural 4a/b hair. My parents never really quite could get it under control. One of the things the kids would always say is you need to get a curl to calm that hair down. Even as young as we were, many of them had hair that was an overprocessed nightmare. I'm glad I never listened to any of them. If I did, I don't know how much hair I would have.

CoCoChantel

Yeah B-more!!!! I've only been out of high school for two years so I was fortunate that the natural touchable hair had just become popular. But I remember middle school with the rodded ponytails, spray on glitter and hair color, and (for some reason noone remembers this) the minnie mouse bows-the hair was part into three sections and shaped to look like a bow. Man couldn't nobody tell me nuttin'!!!

Nacai23

I love this thread. It's so funny when we look back at see the kinds of things we have done to our hair.

I was in High School from 1994-1998

Hot styles: Ultra short hair. I mean short, short. You would have to go to the stylist everyday to curl it because they didn't sell hot curlers that small in the stores. Anything bouffant. I'm talking about huge french rolls with fingerwaves in front. Each curve of the fingerwave was sprayed with those spray on colors. I guess this stuff is spritz and color mixed together. Do ya'll remember those? They came in gold, green, pink, etc. I had just about every color. haha

I wore: My freshman year I basically wore my hair in a high ponytail. I would spray my hair with BB pump it up spritz and bump the ends under with hot curlers every single day. If I didn't wear a ponytail, I wore it down in a shoulder length bob. Grades 10-12 I had that short, short haircut. I was a slave to my stylist then.

I'm ashamed to admit: I would sleep on my chin to avoid messing up my "freeze curls". The last thing I wanted was for my curls to get flat, shoot it had to last at least 2 weeks.

kedra70

You all are making me crack up!!!! I feel so old though - I was in high school from 1984 to 1988!

Another hair style - do you remember the first season of the Cosby show? Remember the hair clip Lisa Bonet used to wear - I wore my hair like that EVERYDAY from 1984 - 1985!

Remember Janet's 'Control' video? She had stiff bangs and the hair pulled back with a banana clip - I jacked up my edges wearing my hair like for about six months.

The things women do for hairstyles!!!!

Kedra

ineedmoney

currently i am a senior ( class of 04 fo'sho!!!!
)
and this is what' crackin' at my school

straight hair ( pressed or relaxed)
-crimps or waves
-waterfalls
-kool aid streaks ( my term for those very unatural colors but i think they can be cute on the right person)
-flips (think kelly rowland)

braids
-cornrows
-singles with the ends out
-puffs (you cornrow to ponytail that puffs out at the top)

etc . . .
side ponytails
side parts
swoop bangs

now me i'm not rocking any of these styles cuz i'm broke and my edges and ends are a mess. till basketball season i'm be rockin' ruff and stuff with the afro puff. but when b-ball season hits i will get that good old flip or maybe some waves. my dream style is the past sholder length aaliyah style. if my hair was like that i would be hyped!!

ineedmoney

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
That brown gel was something back then.
I remember that stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
back then ?? cats are still using that nasty stuff!

ineedmoney

[ QUOTE ]
I'm ashamed to admit: I would sleep on my chin to avoid messing up my "freeze curls". The last thing I wanted was for my curls to get flat, shoot it had to last at least 2 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]
i hear you girl them styles better last!! when i get my press at the shop i avoid water like the plauge!!!!! one time i walked from the shop to a basketball game with a plastic bag on my head to avoid the rain!!! and i was proud too!

GodMadeMePretty

No, you're not. I wore the jheri curl in 9th grade. I wanted one so badly because everybody's hair was just hanging. My hair was so thick that it wouldn't hang. Then I don't know when but I grew that out or maybe I didn't. I don't remember growing out my relaxer but I'm sure I did. In my senior pictures, I look like an old lady. My hair was all the same length but rolled and then flipped to the back and then pulled down at the forehead. Do you all know what I'm talking about? Probably not. I never could do my hair. Even now, but it always grew.

epicura

<font color="purple">Where do I begin:

I had the Janet dookie braids, the fanned out pony tail, I "dyed" my hair with grape cool aid mixed in shampoo, went blonde one day when I was bored by pouring peroxide into a spray bottle, spritzing my hair and blowing drying it until I reached the desired color, brown gel abuse, sigh, what was I thinking!
I always wanted a Wave Nouveau back then (hangs my head down in shame) </font>

DDHair

I remember wanting a curl like the rest of my family when I was in elementary school and being jealous of my cousin's poofy "water wave" (remember that term? lol) lengthy hair and trying to wear my hair as straight as possible to compete. But by junior high I was sporting the short on top long in back do (I didn't get my bangs cut for this look, this is just how long my bangs were), this style took me into high school.

My Freshman Year (1993-1994)- Girls were wearing the top mushroom bottom long look. My hair had broken off for some reason or it just looked ragedy, so I eventually just let it grow to a more bobbed look w/ bangs. Weave ponytails were popular too.

Sophomore Year (1994-1995)- The wrap was in (I think), because after wearing tracks and breaking my hair off on the right side, I had to get an asymetrical cut, my hair was shorter on the right side. The Halle Berry cut was still popular, but once my hair began to grow out again, I started making these tired looking curls with about a 3/4 in barrel into Shirley Temple curls and frizzing them out.

Junior Year (1995-1996)- Hair had grown out fully, wraps were in full blossom, because I just had the simple wrap with bangs. Wore occasional weaves for pin curls for special occassions (I wanted this Ashley Banks look for Homecoming, it didn't quite work out that way, it turned out to be a lot of hair gelled down to my head). In the Spring, after my hair had finally began to grow out, at the request of my mother for a style that I could maintain, I asked the beautician for a bob, not realizing there were different type bobs, I allowed her to cut my hair to my ear, I cried like a damn baby, my mother fussed at her and my hair began growing because of free weekly washes.

Senior Year (1996-1997)- My hair had grown out, I just flipped at ends (w/ bangs) and a desire to have a little height in the top by curling, going for a soft look. Ironically I was just talking to my friend about this on Tuesday, for special occassions, which also led to a fav, pin curls in center swept bangs in front and flipped curls hanging down (this required some weave).

I grew up in Dallas, Texas, I'd like to think we were as up on hairstyles as everyone else, but who knows (I was probably always behind, lol).