Holey hair Batman!!

afrofaithful

what causes holes in the hair and mid shaft splits? Ive been protective styling and following my hair rules but I still have split ends, mid shaft splits, holes in my strands, and ssks!! How have u ladies combatted this issue? What causes this?

Also...what is considered a lot of damage? Do u suggest cutting it all off at once, or gradually trimming?

Thanks!!
Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Vashti

Was your hair already damaged before you started on your hair journey? Is it just the ends or is the damage more widespread? I know for me, I started one year ago and even though the roots and most of my hair benefited from better hair care, my ends broke off anyway back in August and September. I also had a lot of ssks. Keeping my hair braided or in twists has helped a lot with the ssks. There was no way I could have saved my damaged ends though. It might be that the damaged parts of your hair are just coming off. Perhaps you could trim a little off the ends each month?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I believe manipulation and friction of hair strands from styling causes those type of splits. What type of protective styles do you do? Are you gentle when twisting or braiding? Do you coat your hair with product before twisting or braiding?

afrofaithful

Was your hair already damaged before you started on your hair journey? Is it just the ends or is the damage more widespread? I know for me, I started one year ago and even though the roots and most of my hair benefited from better hair care, my ends broke off anyway back in August and September. I also had a lot of ssks. Keeping my hair braided or in twists has helped a lot with the ssks. There was no way I could have saved my damaged ends though. It might be that the damaged parts of your hair are just coming off. Perhaps you could trim a little off the ends each month?

Ok...I suppose my hair may have been damaged but I got it cut before I started going HARDCORE hair care lol. It's mostly the ends and ssks but every time I see them I cut them and examine the piece of hair and I notice there are holes and mid shaft splits. Most of the protective styles I wear are cornrows with a bun in the back, this weird little do thing with a head band and a crazy clip, French braids, lol I change it up a lot because I get bored...I tried not using combs but I get too many tangles. Maybe ill try the seamless combs..where do I find those?

Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

KurleeK5

Perhaps there is something in your routine that isn't working with your hair. maybe you should up your protein or be gentler with your strands. I had the same problems until I changed my routine, added more protein and things my hair likes. I also accepted that I would still see a bit of breakage since the damage was already done, but currently there isn't any more damage or holes.. HTH.

snillohsss

I had this a long time ago, and it came from brushing with the wrong brush. I had to cut my hair to combat the issue. :(

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I've heard that seams on combs can cause them. I got all seamless combs now because I don't need any more splits than i already have. I would just gradually trim/dust it off.