SPLIT...Middles?

Christelyn

First let me say that, as things go, my hair is relatively healthy. But a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that my hair was breaking easily under just a little stress (me gently tugging the ends to see what would pop off). With a closer look I saw split ends, but also some splits mid-shaft. WTF? Well I'm happy to say that the weakness has improved quite a bit--taking Phyto vitamins, using a Phyto scalp treatment, and thanks to an Ojon kit I got on QVC, I think it's under control.

Moving forward, I plan to begin trimming again every six weeks, cutting off about 1/4 inches until I finally rid myself of all the splits.

P.S., I also think an item I was using as a heat protectant --Ted Gibson's Hair Sheets, wasn't worth "sheet." :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Any other suggestions?

Aveena

If you use a comb you may want to only use spineless or jilbere. You may even want to try low manipulation techniques as well. I believe mid shaft splits come from combing and or heat? So if you do use heat you may want to stop for a while and re-evaluate your heat protectant.

Kerryann

im sorry but you making reference to spilts make me crack up because i look everyday for split ends as soon as if find any i take my scissor and nip that in the butt asap

no more heat for you

Christelyn

If you use a comb you may want to only use spineless or jilbere. You may even want to try low manipulation techniques as well. I believe mid shaft splits come from combing and or heat? So if you do use heat you may want to stop for a while and re-evaluate your heat protectant.

The problem is, with my fine hair, I get splits regardless of heat or not. I wore my hair in twists and twist out ALL last summer and by the time it was over I had to cut like two inches of splits. It grew, but the manipulation and/or combing must have caused damage. I am now on a low manipulation regimen and bi weekly flat ironing.

NerdSauce

It's interesting that you've posted this... I started having this problem AFTER i went natural... I didn't even know it was possible back when i was relaxed :perplexed I've pressed my hair out fairly lightly twice in the 15 or so months that i've been natural, the last time three or four months ago, and it was also around that time that I started noticing the mid shaft splits, so heat may be your culprit.. I don't *think* I've been getting many more of them, and I try to use light proteins and such (my fine hair can get over-conditioned kinda easily :rolleyes:) But I'm curious about what can really be done to stop them from splitting further.

Aveena

The problem is, with my fine hair, I get splits regardless of heat or not. I wore my hair in twists and twist out ALL last summer and by the time it was over I had to cut like two inches of splits. It grew, but the manipulation and/or combing must have caused damage. I am now on a low manipulation regimen and bi weekly flat ironing.

I have fine hair as well so I understand completely. However, when my hair is breaking I eliminate direct heat. .. I'm one who doenst believe heat works well with fine hair.

But, perhaps you can simply reduce the heat (lower the temp) or go to once weekly and see if that makes a difference over time in addition to low mani.

Christelyn

I have fine hair as well so I understand completely. However, when my hair is breaking I eliminate direct heat. .. I'm one who doenst believe heat works well with fine hair.

But, perhaps you can simply reduce the heat (lower the temp) or go to once weekly and see if that makes a difference over time in addition to low mani.

I keep making a semantics mistake...I don't biweekly flat iron, I flat iron bi-monthly.

I'm telling you guys, this is not a cop out about heat. I'm serious when I tell you that I had the splits even when I was using NO HEAT. So...what gives? Plus, I'm not sure protein is my friend. Every time I use a treatment I get more tangles from hard hair, which leads to more breakage.

snillohsss

For me it was combing. I never use heat...but on my nape, I had nothing but mid-shaft splits. I didn't comb the majority of my hair, but I would comb my nape (go figure..).

That area had so many mid-shaft splits that I had to cut it off...like a fade, so I can start over.

Because I rarely comb the majority of my hair, I knew that combing was the culprit on my nape area.

tmrskltn

Okay ...i know u don't want to hear this but it could be that u never had them all cut off. Split ends just keep splitting further up ur hair shaft until we cut them where they stop. u can not reverse splitting w/o cutting. i seen that u only trimmed a few times . U probably just need a really good cut! I know the goal is retention but if u don't get rid of those split ends ur workin in vain sweeti. it's funny cause i hear people sayin they don't trim and they r bsl or apl, but when u see htere hair it looks terrible, scraggily like, because they have split ends that need to be cut. Well i know u did'nt want to hear this but that's my take . Hope it helps

Fine 4s

I do extreme low manis (twists for months) and haven't used heat in years and I still get them. I just accept the ones I can't get rid of ....

mkd

I have fine hair that splits easily. I completely cut out direct heat in January and I have noticed a difference, I still get splits but not nearly like I had them before. I am in no way suggesting that you cut on heat, just saying what I have noticed since I have only been roller setting. I, like a previous poster have seen lots of people talking about length but their ends look nasty. That isn't a look that I like for myself. I remember seeing pics of your hair and your ends didn't look bad to me. Maybe try trimming them like you said you planned on and watching very closely from here foward. Are there lots of splits or just a few?

AtlantaJJ

I have fine hair and I have been babying my hair for a long while. I used heat 2 times in 1 year before I textlaxed and BKT. I had to cut a 1.5 inches due to knots and I'm still finding splits, I will trim again in about 1 month. I'll baby my ends until then. I was just shocked that I could get split ends while natural and low mani, and not to many combs.

AtlantaJJ

I keep making a semantics mistake...I don't biweekly flat iron, I flat iron bi-monthly.

I'm telling you guys, this is not a cop out about heat. I'm serious when I tell you that I had the splits even when I was using NO HEAT. So...what gives? Plus, I'm not sure protein is my friend. Every time I use a treatment I get more tangles from hard hair, which leads to more breakage.
Do you use moisture right after your protein? That helps me a lot and it does help to keep the spits at bay especially when you use heat. I usually don't use heat with the protein, then follow with a moisture DC with heat. Then a nice cool rinse at the end of my rinse.

I can't use my beloved Joico products now so I'm floundering around trying to find a regimen.

MAMATO

Honestly I am starting to think that some hair just split for no reasons, it doesnt matter if it is fine or coarse. Excessive heat doesnt help for sure but if your hair is prone to having split ends there is nothing you can do about it. My DH has very very very thick and coarse 4B natural hair, and has an amazing growth rate something like over an inch per month. He cut his hair every two weeks in a short fro (not bald)... and guess what his ends split like nobody's business in the 2 week period. Mind you he never uses heat on his hair and mostly co-wash everysingle day...

darlingdiva

I'm sorry about the splits. They are the bane of my hair life. I even cut them from my husband's mustache (he hates that). It may be somewhat obsessive, but I can't stand split ends.

I still get split ends, but they have greatly decreased since I got my protein-moisture balance in order (I purposely added the emphasis on protein b/c my hair has gotten so much better since I've added it to my regimen.)

I don't get middle splits anymore, though. I stopped getting them after I stopped keeping my hair wet so much. When I used to wet my hair everyday and when I used to spray each section of my hair w/ water before I twisted it, I used to have splits galore--especially those middle-strand splits.

I understand your plight about fine hair b/c my hair is fine too.

msa

Things that contributed to my splits (at the ends and mid shaft):

1. Comb quality. Combs with seams chip away at the cuticle. It's only a tiny bit each time but over time it builds up.

2. Combing on wet hair with nothing to lubricate the cuticle. Now I use coconut oil and it works like a charm.

3. Over moisturizing. Constantly dc'ing (either frequently or for hours on end) or keeping my hair soaking wet had my strands swelling and then relaxing all the time. That made them weaker and more prone to splits/breakage all over, not just at the ends.

4. Airdrying loose. I don't use heat for anything and airdrying isn't bad all the time, it's just about how I do it. Constantly letting my hair airdry shrunken was just a bad idea. It caused my strands to be rough (even though it was soft) and caused knots and tangles which led to breakage and splits. I can do it every once in a while, but not everyday. Airdrying in plaits is another story, my hair dries really smooth doing it that way.

Basically, I don't think it was any one thing but a combination of things that over time led to damage in the form of breakage and splits.

gymfreak336

You need to try to do something to help seal your hair shaft, especially since you have fine hair. When I went through this I started using Nexxus Emergencee and doing more rinses and problem solved.

Christelyn

I have fine hair that splits easily. I completely cut out direct heat in January and I have noticed a difference, I still get splits but not nearly like I had them before. I am in no way suggesting that you cut on heat, just saying what I have noticed since I have only been roller setting. I, like a previous poster have seen lots of people talking about length but their ends look nasty. That isn't a look that I like for myself. I remember seeing pics of your hair and your ends didn't look bad to me. Maybe try trimming them like you said you planned on and watching very closely from here foward. Are there lots of splits or just a few?[/quote]

well...I'm not sure. The breakage has subsided so I'm hoping there's just a few, but it's too hard to tell until I can closely examine the hair once it's left my head.

Christelyn

Do you use moisture right after your protein? That helps me a lot and it does help to keep the spits at bay especially when you use heat. I usually don't use heat with the protein, then follow with a moisture DC with heat. Then a nice cool rinse at the end of my rinse.

I can't use my beloved Joico products now so I'm floundering around trying to find a regimen.

Yes. I totally do. But perhaps it is insufficient. What do you use?

gymfreak336

Things that contributed to my splits (at the ends and mid shaft):

1. Comb quality. Combs with seams chip away at the cuticle. It's only a tiny bit each time but over time it builds up.

2. Combing on wet hair with nothing to lubricate the cuticle. Now I use coconut oil and it works like a charm.

3. Over moisturizing. Constantly dc'ing (either frequently or for hours on end) or keeping my hair soaking wet had my strands swelling and then relaxing all the time. That made them weaker and more prone to splits/breakage all over, not just at the ends.

4. Airdrying loose. I don't use heat for anything and airdrying isn't bad all the time, it's just about how I do it. Constantly letting my hair airdry shrunken was just a bad idea. It caused my strands to be rough (even though it was soft) and caused knots and tangles which led to breakage and splits. I can do it every once in a while, but not everyday. Airdrying in plaits is another story, my hair dries really smooth doing it that way.

Basically, I don't think it was any one thing but a combination of things that over time led to damage in the form of breakage and splits.

This is a cause that frequently goes unnoticed here. Same thing happened to me.