Hollywood or California press?

TheNewFine

Has anyone heard of a California or Hollywood press? I was reading about it and sounds as if you leave conditioner in your hair and add a hair oil before you press or flat iron. I am trying to imagine how this would work. Anyone?

How to do a Hollywood Press

The Hollywood press (also known as the California press) is the technique of pressing black and african american hair so that it is silky, light, and soft to the touch, not greasy and stiff. This page shows how to achieve a Hollywood press with Northwest Scents natural black hair care products. We do not recommend this for relaxed or color treated hair.

If you hair is long we recommend that you work with your hair in sections so that it will be easier to deal with. Just separate it into four of five sections, and loosely braid each section.

1. Shampoo hair with Northwest Scents™ moisturizing shampoo (to cleanse hair and scalp, and leave it soft and manageable). Rinse. Shampoo again and rinse.

2. Apply Northwest Scents™ extra rich conditioner to roots and work through to the ends of the hair. Gently comb through hair in sections to detangle. If you need to add extra conditioner do so, so that the comb can move gently through the hair. This process softens the hair and detangles it. Leave conditioner in for ten minutes. Rinse hair.

3. Gently blot hair dry with towel to remove excess water. Hair should be damp to the touch, not dry, and not soaking wet. Apply additional Northwest Scents extra rich conditioner to hair and gently work into hair from roots to ends of the hair. Apply a small amount of Northwest Scents hair oil from roots to ends of hair to seal in conditioner and addextra moisture.

4. At this point you can either let your hair air dry, or use a blow dryer to dry it.

5. When hair is completely dry, it is ready to press. Use a flat iron or a pressing comb to press your hair. Read our tips page for more information on pressing hair.

Kikootie

This is old school if you ask me. When my mom would press my hair as a child, she applied grease before blow drying and pressing. It would come out nice and silky with unbelievable shine. The only problem is, it was very weighed down. As an adult since becoming familiar with this web site, I've tried pressing with oils. I get the same results but weighed down to a smaller degree. I prefer to press without any oil so I can get a few days of bouncing and behaving. Days later I will apply oil. If the photo of the woman's hair is what you want, then go for it as described by the website. I'm sure your hair will be better protected than if you do it my way.

Tenacious

I dont know about conditioner and oil prior to pressing. That will ruin my hair and my flat iron/tools. Does it get really straight? Oil alone keeps my hair from straightening fully.

Lately, I only use a heat spray. I dont want "deep fried" hair using oil and conditioner.

Lotus

I've straightened with & without conditioner as leave in. I perfer the results I get from using a conditioner (E-MBC). My hair seem more moist and full bodied this way. I can also go longer before I have to apply a moisturizer.

Elucence MBC- to detangle
Lacio Lacio- dry stretched under dryer or air dry
CSI- protect from heat and humidity

TheNewFine

I know exactly what you mean by fresh perm whip lash hair - that's a great way to describe it!

Lots of good info - thank you!