Hormonal and/or Stress related hair loss?

HoneyDew

Ladies, I have not been able to be on the board as much as I'd like, but I just had to start this thread to ask for some advice, comfort, something!

After washing my hair Sunday, I noticed that I have some thinning in one patch of hair. It is much thinner. There are some broken looking hairs there, too. I remember some hair loss in that section some years ago. Maybe it is a sensitive area.

Anyway, for the past month or more, the area had been shedding more than the rest of my hair. I did not pay much attention to it really - shedding is normal, right?

Well, it was shedding a lot more when I combed, run my fingers through everything. It got really bad here for a moment. Still I kept on moving.

I have been having some hormonal issues. My body has been cutting up. I had not had a period for about 6 months and after trying holistic methods it came on. Not sure if those helped, but I am trying hard not to use medication prescribed by my doctor (Prometrium and Birth control pills) because of the side effects they may cause.

Anyway, my period FINALLY came and it was BAD. The worse I've had my whole life. But it is gone now and the shedding has stopped. I mean almost NO shedding. I am getting a few strands a day maybe and that is even with my hair being up everyday (you know you notice more shedding when you wear it up all the time then take it down)

Could it be hormonal? Maybe stress (I have been under a LOT - work, school mid-term just finished, I have a teenager (need I say more). I feel really bad about it. I am not my hair, as we have all heard, but hair loss as a result of mental or physical changes just lets me know I need to get a grip. I am worried that it may start again. I have been havign headaches everyday even though my period is gone. I live on Aleve! I have an appointment with the doc soon, but what can they do - tell me to chill?

I am not sure what anyone could tell me. I just had to vent and tell SOMEONE that can understand this.

sorry this is happening to you:nono:

I am not a doctor... but it sounds like hormones could be the reason for hair loss... again I don't know.... I am glad you are going to see the doctor soon. I hope the doctor can help you so that you can be on the road to less pain and no more hair loss.:kiss:

I'm so sorry this is happening to you HD. Sometimes in life it seems like every situation is extreme, and things seem to happen all at the same time. I can't offer any medical advice either, but when DH was going through an extremely stressful time he was having a lot physical body pain from tension. The doctor suggested increasing his vitamin intake, especially those related to supporting your adrenals (vit C & all the B's), vitamin D, and fish oil (Nordic Naturals), which helps to balance your hormones and mood as well. This really, really helped DH recover from his pain. He took Enzymatic Therapy Daily Energy, but they also have one called Stress End (or something like that). Maybe you could do a little research on vitamins related to stress and talk to your physician about increasing your vitamins; hopefully he/she is up on that kind of stuff. I pray that everything will work out for you.:yep:

It could be a number of things. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about getting your blood work done (complete blood count test).

Like the other ladies I would say confirm this with a Doctor but it does sound like stress or hormonal. When I'm stressed about something my hair suffers. I notice a big difference in the health of my hair. I shed more as well as areas start thinning out. I try to make sure I take my vitamins and get lots of rest. I worry about everything. My SO hates this about me. He tells me not to worry about things I can't control all the time but it's hard.
Glad your hair is doing better....

HoneyDew,

I don't have much to offer but I do know it could be stress or hormonal. I've read your blog and you are being modest about what you are going through right now. I wanted to cry with you the other night while reading.

So big ((((hugs)))) to you HD, hang in there. This too shall pass.

Oh sweetie I am sorry to hear you are having a hard time...I think it is totally hormonal/stress...I remember you talking about your job situation as well as some other things that might be the reason...you need to find a way to relieve this. I dont believe in taking meds for stuff like this either. I was going thru some emotional things about a year and half ago and I went to a Reiki session and it really helped me alot...the key is to try and maintain afterwards.:bighug:

I hope you feel better soon.

Honeydew I have a very thin patch right on my crown...stylist asked me yesterday if I am taking meds because she noticed how thin it was. She told me to get some Nioxin and that that would help. I am under a lot of stress and I think it is effecting my hair health.

I'm going to see what I can find on hormones, stress and hair loss.

Back