Hormonal hairloss/shedding due to contraception

Bublin

Most of my posts contain me moaning about shedding/tangly hair.

Well, aside from hair i have been having numerous issues with my body as a whole and after talking to lots of women (work, friends, family) and reading forums on the internet i think i may have found the cause.

I had the Merina coil fitted after i had my baby 14 months ago and ever since then my general well being has gone downhill.

I won't bore you with the rest but my issues include excessive shedding and wirey hair, very bad and painful acne, bloating (i still look like i'm 5 months gone) and weight gain(despite eating healthily, going to the gym and even taking a diet pill i am actually gaining weight)

So my point is, if you are suffering from thinning hair, shedding or even balding please take the time to do a bit of research on your contraception.

(I'm having the coil removed in 2 weeks time)

Here is a section of an article from hairlossexpert.co.uk

Why Birth Control Pills Can Cause Hair Loss

Because birth control pills contain varying levels of oestrogen their ingestion can result in hormonal changes that lead to hair loss. The oestrogen that is contained in oral contraceptives has been shown to affect hair growth in two ways. First, the increase in oestrogen levels in the body can lead to an extension of the hair growth phase so many women first notice a boost in hair growth and fullness shortly after beginning treatment. However, after this extended period of hair growth the follicles go into a resting phase and hair growth is reduced. During this time increased shedding of old hair strands occurs and without the corresponding re-growth women may notice a thinning of the hair.

Along with the decrease in new hair growth, many women will also experience increased hair shedding or sloughing. High levels of oestrogen that lead to accelerated cell turnover can cause this increase in hair loss. When hair loss is caused by the introduction of artificial oestrogen into the body the medical term for the condition is telogen effluvium. Although this is a medically recognised condition, no treatment is necessary for this hair loss.

Here is the full article
http://www.hairlossexpert.co.uk/HairLossAndThePill.html

MarieB

I've had the coil for a few years now, and I haven't noticed much difference in my hair...but I definitely feel you on the weight gain! I seem to gain more easily and have greater difficulty using, but not as bad as when I was on Depo (the debbil) Provera.

normacyri

Totally agree..I had Mirena all of a good three months before I told my Obgyn "Take it out!!" I was miserable... I experienced everything you described plus I was in pain and evil...no good.