HORMONES AND HAIR THINNING

TLC1020

As some of you may know I have previously posted about my hair thinning and see thru ends. I have been having this issue since my pregnancy which started in June but I didn't notice it then. I had a miscarriage in August and my hair has been shedding and breaking since then. I previously thought it was b/c I wasn't using protein like I should, it never occurred to me that it could be internal. I stepped up my protein usuage the breakage would stop but would start back :nono:. So I put myself on this no heat challenge and kept my hair in a bun and did very little to my hair from September to now and my hair still shed and break on wash day that I have been clipping all my hair away. So in all I probably cut about 5-6 inches off and still have thin ends. I am afraid if I cut more my hair is still going to be breaking.

Fast forward to today and I do my touch up after a 13 week stretch and hair is still breaking and shedding mostly breaking. :wallbash: I am contiplating cutting my hair to neck length and just starting over. My hair is thin which I am not used to b/c I have naturally thick hair and strands. At this point I am unsure what I am going to do with my hair. Monday I am going to call the doctor to make an appointment to get check for thyroid. All of a sudden I picked up a little weight as well.

Have anyone had an issue with hormones and hair thinning? If so what did you do during this time?

Dommo

Have you tried Maca Root? I was having hormonal imbalance issues, not with my hair, but with my skin and it helped along with topical things. Its a powder that you mix with water or whatever else you're drinking and there are threads about in the Health/Fitness section.

HTH

ajacks

Sorry about your loss. You are probably experiencing the same kind of hair loss associated with postpartum shedding. I experienced this prior to finding LHCF and learning about garlic treatments,so I just weathered the storm by wearing cornrows under half-wigs until it subsided (took about 4-5 months). Once it stopped I just focused on nursing it back to health. I definitely think consulting a physician is a good idea.

AtlantaJJ

I am sorry to hear of your loss...

This is a subject i know well. Mine has to do with age. I'm taking Maca root and Saw Palmetto and it has helped a great deal.

I highly recommend you see the doctor and get a full hormone panel done to rule out any serious medical conditions.

Last edited:

miami74

I'm sorry to hear about your hair issues. When you first posted about your hair thininng, I figured you were going through postpartum shedding, but you mentioned that you have a lot of breakage, so it could definitely be something more. Please don't cut anymore of your hair until the doctor diagnosed what the problem is. I have a hormonal imbalance, but it hasn't affected my hair as of yet, so I can't help you on that one, sorry. I hope you pinpoint the cause soon and I wish you luck.

Last edited:

ShiShiPooPoo

I can so relate to you...

First of all, I am sorry for your loss.

I am thinning at the crown...I noticed this after the birth of my daughter back in 06 and it is getting worse. I have been to two derms (one white, one black) who have no idea why this is happening. Honestly, I think it is hormonal and due to an imbalance of estrogen/progesterone. My OB/GYN gave me a natural progesterone to help balance it out but I am afraid to take it since one side effect is depression-and I suffer from that anyway. I don't really have breakage but the thinning is obvious in that one spot. The first derm told me to get Rogaine but I don't want to deal with something that I will have to use forever...I am at a loss as to how to direct my next action.

My next step will probably be a full lab workup...

TLC1020

Thanks so much ladies..
I couldn't help but cut more b/c I can't stand to look and my hair like that :nono:. I didn't blow dry it or anything I let it air dry, flat ironed and wrapped it. I will take pictures of my hair before heading out the door today. I definitely think it is a hormonal imbalance b/c my hair never had shedding or breakage this much. I don' think it look really bad right now b/c I just did my touch-up this morning so I will see how it will look after I do my first wash and condition. Making a doctor appt tomorrow..

sqzbly1908

Sorry about your loss. You are probably experiencing the same kind of hair loss associated with postpartum shedding. I experienced this prior to finding LHCF and learning about garlic treatments,so I just weathered the storm by wearing cornrows under half-wigs until it subsided (took about 4-5 months). Once it stopped I just focused on nursing it back to health. I definitely think consulting a physician is a good idea.

Oh Soror, I am so sorry to hear about your loss!!!! With regard to the bolded, I totally agree, your body/hormones is going back to its former self and one of the caveats is the shedding. My Ob/gyn told me that it can take up to a year for the body to get back to its natural (lack of a better word) state. I too, had the shedding but to offset it I started using Phytospecific Cap 'Energy hair vitamins in the morning and it helped out tremendously!!!

HTH

tgrowe

TLC,
I whipsered a prayer for you and the loss you have experienced.
I had my dd in January 2006 and my hair was at it's longest, below shoulder length. Around June that year my hair was breaking from the nape of my neck up toward the middle of my head. I wore braids thinking if I gave my hair some rest that would help. Well it didn't help (this was pre-LHCF and I didn't take care of my hair like I take care of it now). Needless to say, by November, the breakage was to my scalp in one area from the nape to the crown while the rest of my hair was to my shoulders. I had it all cut off, starting over from scratch. Was tooo hurt about it. I knew it was hormones because I just had my baby and was still nursing her at that time in November.
Fastforward to now, I am having the same issue with the same spot again. The kicker this time is my cycle has been sporadic this year. A cycle every three weeks then every four weeks and didn't have one until now after a span of three months. So hormones can affect hair growth. For example I am a nurse and worked in a health clinic a while back. Some ladies who took the Depo Provera shot (which is a progesterone only injection) complained of hair loss or thinning. It's true when your estrogen and progesterone levels are off, it affects more than your menstrual cycle.
You're making the right decisions to visit your MD.

TLC1020

:bump: :bump:

I had another doctor appt yesterday for annual check up and to let her know about my thoughts on my hormones. Not my phcp but she pretty much said my hormones are unbalanced, however there are NO treatments to balance them :ohwell:.. I said there has to be, I gave her all my symptoms and she verified what I had always thought. She summed it up by saying a number of factors played a part; that I was 34 when I had dd, that I am 37 turning 38 and my hormone levels are decreasing that there are no pills or medication to can balance or reset my hormones. She did not offer any herbs or other remedies to assist me. I told her it's not only my hair but other things that goes along with your hormones.

After all of that and no solution, I told her to refer to a dermatologist b/c there is something that can be done, like a scalp biopsy or put pieces of hair under a microscope for clear analysis other than visual to get a better idea or something.
She wasn't helpful at all :nono:

faithVA

:bump: :bump:

I had another doctor appt yesterday for annual check up and to let her know about my thoughts on my hormones. Not my phcp but she pretty much said my hormones are unbalanced, however there are NO treatments to balance them :ohwell:.. I said there has to be, I gave her all my symptoms and she verified what I had always thought. She summed it up by saying a number of factors played a part; that I was 34 when I had dd, that I am 37 turning 38 and my hormone levels are decreasing that there are no pills or medication to can balance or reset my hormones. She did not offer any herbs or other remedies to assist me. I told her it's not only my hair but other things that goes along with your hormones.

After all of that and no solution, I told her to refer to a dermatologist b/c there is something that can be done, like a scalp biopsy or put pieces of hair under a microscope for clear analysis other than visual to get a better idea or something.
She wasn't helpful at all :nono:

Wow you are still going through this? :bighug: I thought someone just mistakenly bumped up an old thread.

I do understand what you are going through. I have had hormonal issues since I was in my early twenties. I was also unable to get any answers or help.

Have you tried the maca root that someone in a previous post mentioned? You can also try phytoestrogens. You can get them through VitaCost or VitaminShoppe.

I haven't completely resolved my thinning issues but I have definitely improved them a great deal.

You may also want to see an alternative medicine doctor, someone who focuses on nutrition vs. traditional medicine.

TLC1020

I didn't try the maca root b/c I wanted to see if I just needed time to allow things to calm down :ohwell:. Now I am researching to see what else I can do until I see what the dermatologist has to say. Not only is my hair shedding but the texture is dense. I know hair is dead but it really feel dead now (if that makes since).

Wow you are still going through this? :bighug: I thought someone just mistakenly bumped up an old thread.

I do understand what you are going through. I have had hormonal issues since I was in my early twenties. I was also unable to get any answers or help.

Have you tried the maca root that someone in a previous post mentioned? You can also try phytoestrogens. You can get them through VitaCost or VitaminShoppe.

I haven't completely resolved my thinning issues but I have definitely improved them a great deal.

You may also want to see an alternative medicine doctor, someone who focuses on nutrition vs. traditional medicine.