BP Meds and thinning hair

bklyncurly

I need help. My mother has been on high blood pressure meds for years. Recently, her beautiful thick hair has been thinning alot. It's so thin in the front that you see her scalp in sections. :(

My mother has bone straight hair which was very thick. Her hair is still healthy (according to the stylist). She has no split ends, no breakage, no damage at all. Someone mentioned to me that blood pressure meds can thin hair and there's nothing to do to reverse the thinning. Has anyone heard of this before?

I apologize if this has been covered before, but after a Search I couldn't find anything related to BP meds and thinning hair.

bklyncurly

hot_pepper96 said:
It has happened to some of my aunts and my mom. It's pretty common I think.

Thanks! I was hoping there was some other alternative. But I think a wig might have to suffice for now. Thanks for replying! :)

gradygirl

Mega-Tek by Equiss (do an internet seacrch for Equiss but you can buy it from PetSmart) - It is for horses or humans and it has helped people taking blood pressure meds and chemotherapy patients with thinning hair. Also, castor oil has thickened my hair up when it thinned out from taking meds. Hope this helps.

lsw29

My mother has the same problem from taking BP medication as well so I am happy that you brought up this topic.

bklyncurly

gradygirl said:
Mega-Tek by Equiss (do an internet seacrch for Equiss but you can buy it from PetSmart) - It is for horses or humans and it has helped people taking blood pressure meds and chemotherapy patients with thinning hair. Also, castor oil has thickened my hair up when it thinned out from taking meds. Hope this helps.

THANKS! I will definitely try this. I have to go to Pet Smart today anyway!:)

bklyncurly

lsw29 said:
My mother has the same problem from taking BP medication as well so I am happy that you brought up this topic.

Yeah, I was surprised that this topic hasn't been brought up more often. I'm going to try the products that gradygirl suggested. I'll keep you posted. :)

Honi

There is no board.
Which one (s) is she taking? I can look them up for you if you like. You don't have to say if it's too personal.

gradygirl

neijon said:
THANKS! I will definitely try this. I have to go to Pet Smart today anyway!:)
You're welcome. You can also do a search on this forum for more information on Mega-Tek. It is a very strong protein in my opinion and I first started using it as a leave in then I started washing it out. I now use it for a protein treatment every six weeks or so when needed because it was putting to much protein in my hair but it really did help me with the amount of hairs I was losing.

Yellowflowers

I can surely understand your concern.

She can do several things. Search the internet to see if hair thinning is a side effect of her blood pressure meds.

If so she can voice her concerns to her doctor. There are so many other meds he can prescribe for her. She does not have to settle for something that is causing thinning of her hair.

My aunt had a problem with Lotrel. It robs the body of zinc which is essential for hair growth. She got off the stuff and hair is now back to normal.

I have also heard that menopause can cause hair thinning. In this case, hair supplements are an absolute neccessity.

I hope and pray she can find a solution.