Hot Tools Marcel Rotating/Locking Ceramic Curling Iron-V.S./Beyonce Hair

Cincysweetie

So recently I came across the pic below of Solange and Beyonce and fell in love with Solange's style and color! So I went to the stylist with the pic in hand and asked her to re-create the look on me, color and style (she calls it the Victoria Secret hair, I call it the Beyonce hair). It turned out FAB!!! I got so many compliments on my hair, however the style didn't last long at all, lol and the color is only a rinse so it too will not last.

But I asked the stylist how that long curly/wavy look is created, and she said that the key is having one of those marcel curling irons (pictured below). She typically does a roller set first, then curls it, but b/c I had so much newgrowth she flat ironed me first then curled it. Does anyone have one of these curling irons? I'm thinking of purchasing the one below from Folica, but I'm not sure which size barrell to get, 1 inch or 1.5? Plus, they seem a little complicated. Any tips on how to use one?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Hey Cincy!

I have one of those fake marcels:lachen: I hate using it too because the handle is all big and bulky. I have done a style similar to that using that same marcel on someone with very long hair. It's a lot of work IMO. Seems like a roller set would be easier.

When using the marcel position your thumb around the base of the iron. Your thumb holds the iron. Your other three fingers should be used to close and manipulate the iron. The pinky is used to help with that motion.The hair should be curled from the scalp to the ends. Part the hair in about 1 inch sections and put the iron at the base of the part. A sort of clamping and turning motion is used to manipulate the rest of the hair through the iron until the ends of the hair are finally rolled in. It takes practice but it works. I hope I didn't confuse you.

Pics:

Hand position when holding and curling the hair.

Hand position when turning the iron.

Cincysweetie

Thanks DSD for the pics! Very helpful! How much do the "real" marcel irons cost? Didn't know there were "real" and "fake" ones.

Thanks also trimbride for directing me to macherie's blog.

secretdiamond

I've been wondering for so long how to do that style! I'm in love it and that's my dream hairstyle when I get to waistlength. :yep:

ETA: Cincy have you updated your album yet? Yours was one of the first I truly every really stalked! Your hair is gorgeous! Did you take pics of your new style?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Cincysweetie said:
Thanks DSD for the pics! Very helpful! How much do the "real" marcel irons cost? Didn't know there were "real" and "fake" ones.

Thanks also trimbride for directing me to macherie's blog.
You are welcom. I was just kidding when I said "fake". The only difference is you plug this one in and the others you put on the stove. The others that you put on the stove are easier to manipulate IMO. They vary in price. A set can run upwards of $300 but just one can run from $20-50.

camellia

I've always called that "Victoria's Secret" hair too!:lol:

I'd love to wear my hair like that when I reach my goal length, but I'm scared of burning my hair with those irons. How much do you think a salon would charge to duplicate that style?

Cincysweetie

DSD-- Oh, okay...I know what you're talking about now! Like the ones they have at the salon.

Secret, I updated a little while back. I'll PM you my password. And no, I didn't take pics of the hairstyle...my camera isn't working like it used to, so I rarely take pics anymore b/c it's too much of a hassle.

Carmella, I'm sure you could achieve that look now! You have the length and gorgeous hair! That's funny that you call it the VS hair too! :lol: As for the salon duplicating it, I went to an upscale salon for color, wash, and style and my total was around $72...so I can't imagine that it would cost more than $35 to do. But I'm not positive?