House Guests (hair Care Edition)

Whew! I thought I was the only one anal about my hair brush/comb. That's why I can't understand any stylist using the same tools on 50-11 clients without disinfecting it. I really can't understand women who see the stylist use the same comb and say nothing.

That was something I noticed when I go to the Dominicans to get my hair done... they comb through my hair with the same comb during the whole process (they take it out of the drawer) and wash it (with soap/shampoo)after then I believe they put it in this cup with this liquid... I should ask them if that's disinfectant in that cup.

I understand how you feel. I hate having guest over personally. It's draining and you have to be on guard all the time. Unless it's like a bestie, who semi-lives there because there over so much. But one way that I look at sharing hair products (particularly because I feel the general knowledge of best hair care practices is so low in the black community) is more as an educator. Let me introduce you to some better quality products, techniques, try them out and see why they might be better for your hair. And if it's my $40 conditioner, then let me go ahead and show you the proper amount necessary for your entire head of hair (lol). The truth is if you're coming over my houe and asking about hair products, you'll probably leave with at least a $150 shopping list, so giving them the chance to try the products out doesn't seem so bad.

I don't know that this perspective is going to help your situation, @SEMO , but maybe it can soften the annoyance a little. And I know in your case the issue of abuse seems to be present, so that's something else.

Of course I'm going to search every Sally in my area now for this shampoo. I hope I find it too because I will send every bottle directly to @SEMO

@Dayjoy

That's sweet of you. With the new bottle that's coming from amazon.com, I should be good for awhile. But I'd love it if anyone could confirm whether they've seen this shampoo in their local Sally recently. I just want this to end up being a simple misunderstanding for my local Sally's (on why they don't stock it anymore).

I understand how you feel. I hate having guest over personally. It's draining and you have to be on guard all the time. Unless it's like a bestie, who semi-lives there because there over so much. But one way that I look at sharing hair products (particularly because I feel the general knowledge of best hair care practices is so low in the black community) is more as an educator. Let me introduce you to some better quality products, techniques, try them out and see why they might be better for your hair. And if it's my $40 conditioner, then let me go ahead and show you the proper amount necessary for your entire head of hair (lol). The truth is if you're coming over my houe and asking about hair products, you'll probably leave with at least a $150 shopping list, so giving them the chance to try the products out doesn't seem so bad.

I don't know that this perspective is going to help your situation, @SEMO , but maybe it can soften the annoyance a little. And I know in your case the issue of abuse seems to be present, so that's something else.

@Dee Raven

I agree about passing on hair knowledge, and am always down to share info. I explained to her after the fact what a cleansing conditioner is (she'd used one as a rinse out conditioner, not knowing it's not for that) and about sulfate vs. non-sulfate shampoos (the shampoo that I gifted her was a sulfate-free black soap shampoo).

If I had known she was going to wash her hair again, and was interested in trying more stuff, I would have walked her through a whole routine.

I have a younger sister, and she would never use any of my stuff without my permission. And my stuff lies freely around in my bathroom, on shelves, in trunks.... :look:. In addition, none of my friends would cross the line and help themselves to any of my products (and there are many....) without my permission. And, I wouldn't do the same to them.

I think it's a lack of respect when people simply help themselves to your stuff (whether it's intentional disrespect or not). It's courtesy to ask. Chances are, I'd say yes anyway. They are just things. But I hate people disrespecting my space, so I fully understand how you felt and your reaction.

Back