How am I going to let down my hair stylist??

love2praz

I just thought about this. While my hair has been short, I have been going to my stylist every other week for her to style. However, since I'm growing out now, there is no longer a need for me to visit her for hotcurled styles!!! She is great with short hair but I'm unsure about her capabilities with growing hair.

What should I do? Should I only go to her for touchups??

karezone

I simply stop going. Or if you feel to guilty to do that, lie and tell her that you don't have the time or can't afford it or something.

Compassion

Love2praz,

That's what I had to do. STOP going to my stylist. I only go for touchups now. Think about it this way, either you go to them and have them impede your progress, or care for you hair at home and end up with healthy hair. Oh, and you'll have more money left in your purse. I know how you feel. I felt so bad about not supporting my stylist as much as I had before. But they'll survive. They have plenty other customers dependent on them I'm sure. Or try this. Go to your stylist and tell her that you only want a roller set, and no direct heat. Tell her you want a moisturizing conditioner used after your deep conditioner. Tell her you desire an oil or moisturizer applied to wet hair before she rolls you. See what her response is. My stylist did not receive my suggestions to well. I had to learn that MY stylist, was not all that concerned with helping me reach my hair goals. That helped me to feel better about my choice to only visit him for touch ups. Or maybe you can find another stylist who is willing to help you reach your hair goals. In my city, finding a decent stylist is not easy. I hope you have better success. HTH

Blessings,
Compassion

Allandra

I only go to my hair stylist for relaxer touch-ups (every four months). She knows that's the only time to expect me.
Going to your hair stylist for relaxer touch-ups only shouldn't be bad. Afterall, at least you're still going to her.

karezone

Like I said, I stopped going all together. He was doing nothing for my hair. He combed relaxer through the ends, no deep conditioners or protein treatments, and blowdried it to death. The only good points was that he did not like scissors.

love2praz

Thank you all for your advice. It's going to be hard to let her down but touchups will be the only time I will visit her. (I'm going to cancel my appointment for this Saturday.)

This shouldn't be hard for me to do at all since I did it the last time I grew out my hair. (I stopped going to her all together.) But the last time, I did my own touchups. (Which I WILL NOT do on my own this time around.) I guess I'll see her in a month for touch up time!!)

She is one of those stylist who is real good with short hair but isn't the best to go to for growing hair out...

(She can style a mean short-do, that's for sure!!)

pmichael52172

If you're still going to let her do your touch ups, then I don't see where you're letting her down at all.

Just cancel your appointment for Saturday, (saying that you don't need her to do your hair - if asked... which is the truth) and reschedule later for the next touch up.

If she asks why only touch ups, tell her because now that your hair has grown out, you can handle it a little better on your own (which would be the truth too right?) If she gets offened, oh well... A good stylist should love to see her clients properly caring for their hair with or without their help.

My stylist goes to my church and I only go to her for touch ups. Even when I do styles or expirement on my own, she's always talking about how shiny my hair looked or how she loved my styling. She's confident, secure and doesn't make me feel like I have broken up with her when I cancel to save money or something. She even sells products that she uses on your hair, tells you how she used them so you can do it at home.

Lindy

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Allandra said:
I only go to my hair stylist for relaxer touch-ups (every four months). She knows that's the only time to expect me.

[/ QUOTE ]

ME TOO

Drea84

pmichael52172 said:

A good stylist should love to see her clients properly caring for their hair with or without their help.

[/ QUOTE ]

So very very true
, now only if I can find one like that then I would be set!

Drea84

love2praz

Thank you for such wonderful advice!! I will do just that!!!
My stylist had been doing my hair since I was a teen (for about 15 years). But when I started doing things on my own the last time, I didn't even go to her and would see her casually every now and then. I hope she won't be too heartbroken. She does press my daughter's hair so I will still be bringing her business then and for my touchups...

She's just very inspirational when it comes to styles. Once she relaxed my hair after my twa grew out a bit and styled it, literally, many people I knew cut off their hair and started wearing the same styles!!!

Ennyaa

I used to have a stylist like that back in the day. I mean she could work short hair SO well that I literally used to sit in her chair and tell her to do whatever she wanted. Shave the back, cut it, whatever. There would be LINES outside her salon every Saturday before they even opened the gates. The one thing about her though was that she wasn't into growing out hair at all. She could make you look good but that was it, there was no real hair CARE in her shop. Those were my much younger days though when I only cared about looking good no matter what the cost. Ah to be a teenager again.

And don't worry about the stylist. I'm sure she will understand if she's been doing your hair that long and is even doing your daughter's hair.

love2praz

I literally used to sit in her chair and tell her to do whatever she wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly how it is with my stylist!! She's also VERY scissor happy!