How can I smooth out my frizzy ends? (or do I need to cut them?)

Arcadian

Since I airdry all the time I've noticed my ends can be a bit on the frizzy side. its definitly from the old relaxer as well but, still kinda frizzy.

Here's my delima; After I relaxed yesterday I'm close to APL which thats a freaking milestone that I NEVER thought I'd make! The ends (the ones I've checked) aren't split, just a bit beatup looking compared to the rest of my hair (which is phyto).

So I'm really torn in a very sad kinda way. Is there anything I can use to smooth them out maybe or should I just bite the bullet and cut them off?

TIA

-A

ETA:

Oh and I do bun so could that also be the cause?

Last edited:

locabouthair

I don't think you should cut them because you said it's due to airdrying. Have you tried using a serum? I heard that helps with airdrying. with airdrying you always have to use some leave in, oil, or serum. Congrats on making armpit! Was their anything specific that contributed to your growth?

Ayeshia

examining airdried ends are the worst way to determine the health of your ends...my ends sometimes dry crispy as all get out depending on the wather and what products I use that day, and if I didnt blowdry once every 6 months I would think that my ends were damaged and split.

asha

Ayeshia said:
examining airdried ends are the worst way to determine the health of your ends..

This is so true. I was looking at my ends the other day and figured that they were pretty yuck ( I too airdry) After I did my henna and deep conditioned the ends were looking pretty good.

Arcadian

locabouthair said:
I don't think you should cut them because you said it's due to airdrying. Have you tried using a serum? I heard that helps with airdrying. with airdrying you always have to use some leave in, oil, or serum. Congrats on making armpit! Was their anything specific that contributed to your growth?

I had to go check my stash to see what I had:lol:. I do have some biosilk serum and some smooth n shine serum. Last time I used either of these it flaked in my hair, so I put them in the back of the closet. Maybe I'm not using them right or something. (I do use the biosilk for my feet sometimes to get rid of that winter ash:look: )

Should they be used on dry hair? I know biosilk says use on either but the other stuff dosen't say much. Per my recollection I think I used them on damp hair, but could be something I could try again.

My regimine is so simple, even a caveman can do it.:lol:

Staple shampoo/Con is Giovanni Magnetic, I bun nearly every day and use care free curl gold as my main moisterizer.

This winter has been so dry and crazy I used rose water in a spritz bottle to give my hair and face some extra moisture (sure does feel good too!)

After working out I rinse my hair with a thin acidfying conditioner....either Nexxus ensure or Porosity control which controls the tangles. I do a full wash and condition with my staple stuff midweek.

I dry my hair in a pony tail or a bun with my moisterizer and oils.

I don't comb that often, maybe every 3 or 4 days which has been working out very well so far because I don't seem to shed as much.

As far as oil for sealing the hair, I use jojoba and mix it with a little emu since I need to use it up. Other oils seem to make my hair really crunchy if I use them as a sealer...that includes coconut if I use too much. I always seem to go back to good ol' jojoba because it dosen't ever fail me. The emu seems to work well too but have to admit I'm thankful for that midweek washing..I'd probably smell like a dead chicken otherwise:lachen:

I still use Elasta QP Mango butter but only after I'm post relaxer by 8-10 weeks. Seems to work best at that time anyway.

For weekly Deep Conditioners I use a ORS Pack, 2 tablespoons of keraphix a tablespoon of coconut oil. I always use a hot towel to cover it once its on, and a Whole foods bag over that for 15 mins, then rinse with cool water. I prefer the whole foods bags cause they're super thick and makes a great conditioning cap:lol:

I clarify when I think I need it. Nothing set about that. I also relax when I need it, I don't really have a set schedule, I just do it when I can't comb no more!

I do take MSM but I only take 1/8th teaspoon a day to help keep my allergies in check. I'm sure I get a bit of hair benefit but probably not all that much.

I take LEF vitamins because even though they're freaking HYOOGE horse pills they give me what I need and I've taken them for like ever. Maybe I get SOME hair benefit but dunno...I take only 6 a day (they say to take 9...whoo man!)

I also take flax and fish oils but took those for a long time too. And do probably see hair benefits from these too but I take a tablespoon a day of each.

I've always been able to grow hair, and I think most of us outside of some genetic things we may have going on can do that can do that, but for some, the problem is being able to retain what we get!

IMO, this site has been one of the best tools I've ever had to use in order to retain my hair, which is probably the most important part of the journey for me.

I do wish I could figure out how to control them darn growth spurts though, or at least replicate them!(swear my hair just has its own schedule:lol:)

Last growth spurt was after I relaxed in December. After that somewhere along the line i picked 2 inches of growth nearly all over my entire scalp. But I think there's a thread where quite a few folks who relaxed in december experienced pretty much the same thing.

I remember how crazy my scalp felt after I got back from my Iceland trip (maybe I need to go back???:think:)

-A

Last edited:

Miss*Tress

Try using the baggie method as an overnight pre-poo treatment. I have done this with various oils, like Dabur Amla Hair Oil or EVOO and it has worked wonders. So when I air dry my ends never go frizzy. I only air dry in the summer though. For winter I roller set and go under the bonnet dryer.

locabouthair

thanks for posting your regimen. i think people usually use the serums on wet hair but you can try it on dry hair and see how it works. i have never used one but i heard of others using them when they airdry. i would say to do a search on airdrying because that seems to be your culprit. i really dont think you should cut them. HTH.

angellazette

I airdry all the time and when my hair is in it's natural state, my ends feel and look fine. When I flat ironed my hair, that's when I noticed crunchy ends. So it seems like the opposite of what others posted and I just trimmed it. I hadn't trimmed in about...7 months. Was there something I should've tried instead?

blue_flower

I've always had problems with my ends too. I trimmed them last week and I'll dust for the next few months until May or June. But to answer your question, when my ends feel frizzy I put some type of hair lotion (Sunsilk) on the ends and roll them up with perm rods. That makes my ends look and feel better.

Arcadian

sareca, somebody had to do it:D

I have tried putting the roller on the end which does help but won't completely straighten the hair out. I used a perm rod...should I use something bigger instead? I've got a some 2 inch rollers around somewhere.

-A

Nanyanika

please don't cut them, just find a good product to smooth them out a bit, i chopped off too much of my hair and i'm regretting it. it feels like my hair isn't growing back

blue_flower

Arcadian said:
I have tried putting the roller on the end which does help but won't completely straighten the hair out. I used a perm rod...should I use something bigger instead? I've got a some 2 inch rollers around somewhere.

-A

I have these orange perm rods and I can't tell you the size because I don't know. They might be 2 in, but I'm not sure. Are your ends saturated with water or some kind of lotion? For your ends to be smooth they have to be wet. When you wrap the wet ends around the roller that's how it will dry. It's like a rollerset for your ends.

Isis

blue_flower said:
I have these orange perm rods and I can't tell you the size because I don't know. They might be 2 in, but I'm not sure. Are your ends saturated with water or some kind of lotion? For your ends to be smooth they have to be wet. When you wrap the wet ends around the roller that's how it will dry. It's like a rollerset for your ends.
I agree with Blue Flower, the ends must be dripping wet before rolling them on the roller (I use magnetic rollers). When it airdries, your ends will be very smooth.

Frizzy ends are almost always temporary and due to how the hair was dried and the products used (or not used). Cutting off the frizzy ends will do nothing but make your hair shorter and with more frizzy ends if the procedure is the same.

DaPPeR

NIBERIANGIRL
Good info ladies. I have recently trimmed and I am striving for smooth healthy ends from here on out.

SelfStyled

A couple things.....I usually airdry in a bun which leaves my ends on the frizzy side. But if I airdry in a pony(s) with a roller(s) on the ends they are a lot smoother. Also, oils do nothing to my ends. My ends are super dry, it takes heavy things like butters or clutch your pearls- good ol' grease to make my ends behave.