How can one wear protective styles if the nape is JACKED?

bee

Ladies, I have been a member here for a couple of years. Currently, my hair is SL-relaxed and is threatening to grow beyond that. I am convinced that protective styles will get me more towards APL but the nape of my neck is JACKED! Any tension back there will cause breakage & it gets HELLA NAPPY at least 2 weeks after a touch up. I want to wear more protective styles but this issue prevents me from doing that.

Like I've stated, I've been a member for a long while and am aware of daily moisture, leaving it alone, not relaxing that area often, castor oil, S-Curl, WGO, pomades, gels, Crisco, etc! No matter what I try, that area will not conform. And, to top it all off, it's all gray!

How do I camouflage that area to be able to wear more protectives styles?

PassionFruit

I use things like Aloe gel, Elasta QP Glaze to keep em smooth & keep it moving.... I have pics in my fotki of my protective styles and I used the things mentioned to keep it tight

charmtreese

Try bunning your hair at night using hair pins NOT a ponytail holder, and then use what ever product you like for laying down your edges (nape and all) and tie the whole perimeter of your head up with a satin scarf.

In the morning Untie and style in a loose bun. Your edges including your nape should lay flat.

bee

Thanks Ladies, for your responses! Charmtreese, that sounds like a good idea. I'll try that tonight. I'm really trying to get past SL. Rinsing/washing/CW is really making my hair look like it's growing. I don't want to stunt it by having my hair rubbing against my clothes.

Energist

You can wear a nice satin band around your head, which covers all edges and just style the center. I usually do this when I am ready for my next relaxer. I don't touch my new growth at all. I used to blow them out, but that's damaging.

bee

Thanks energist! Now all I have to do is find one thick enough to cover my bald temples. The bald temples are the result of too tight ponytails that I wore as a child.

bee

I just read a post that suggests using conditioner as a leave-in and seal with castor oil in that area. I'm trying that tonight!

prospurr4

Ladies, I have been a member here for a couple of years. Currently, my hair is SL-relaxed and is threatening to grow beyond that. I am convinced that protective styles will get me more towards APL but the nape of my neck is JACKED! Any tension back there will cause breakage & it gets HELLA NAPPY at least 2 weeks after a touch up. I want to wear more protective styles but this issue prevents me from doing that.

Like I've stated, I've been a member for a long while and am aware of daily moisture, leaving it alone, not relaxing that area often, castor oil, S-Curl, WGO, pomades, gels, Crisco, etc! No matter what I try, that area will not conform. And, to top it all off, it's all gray!

When I started my hair journey, my nape was terribly broken/damaged. In addition to keeping that area moisturized, I "hid" my nape by wearing spiral sets...they worked very well until my nape recovered. I have a few spiral set pics in my fotki.

bee

Now, spiral sets, I can get with! I wore a set 3 days last week and that worked really well. I'll add this to my arsenal until my nape recovers.

bee

Well, I fell asleep waiting for my hair to airdry and cheated on the flexirod set, by wearing my half-wig. I'll be rinsing a little earlier tonight so that my hair can be dry by morning.

MysteryMe

I'm so glad that you posted this question. I'm stuck in the same boat. My nape is out of control.

PeggyFair

& it gets HELLA NAPPY at least 2 weeks after a touch up.

What works for me is coconut oil, castor oil, aloe vera gel and sweet almond oil. I switch it up day to day. But this caught my eye. How is it possible for your roots to be nappy just a mere 2 weeks after a touch up?? Two weeks after a touch up, my roots are still smooth and straight.

ETA: I am 13 weeks post and I use my HE Hello Hydration as a leave in and this keeps my hair super mositurized from ROOT/new growth to tip!

Last edited:

bee

I don't know why my nape eats up moisture PeggyFair, but no matter what I do, the beedeebee's show up about two weeks after a touch up. Interestingly enough, I prepooed with African Royale's Daily Doctor and sealed it w/ castor oil. I did my regular CW and my hair stayed moisturized for two days, even the nape area. I don't know what this stuff does but I squirted a bit more on my nape and sealed it w/ castor oil for my braid out. I hope this becomes a staple for growing out my nape.