It's time for an alternative to protective styles

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
It\'s time for an alternative to protective styles

Alrightee now! For those of you that are doing your protective styles or thinking about it, don't let this frighten you. I have been wearing my protective styles very consistently since August 2002. I have probably worn my hair down 10 times since then and not more than that.

Well, the protective styles are taking their toll on my hair--I have some breakage in the back. It's not noticeable because it is in the bottom-most layer of my hair so the other hair covers it up but it still makes me unhappy
If you guys remember Leejure's bun-breakage pics, it's kind of like that.

I've done a good job varying up my protective styles so that one particular area wouldn't be stressed but I do think that constantly putting it up (no matter the variation) does affect that nape area.

So, give me ideas for un-protective protective styles. Maybe I should start doing braid-outs or just give it a break and wear it down. I'm almost at my goal anyway... HELP!

inthepink

Re: It\'s time for an alternative to protective styles

I think braidouts would be a wonderful non-heat alternative for you.

Also, you can still wear your hair up but maybe give buns a break? You can loosely pin your hair up with barrettes to keep your ends off your clothing.

How did you notice the breakage?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Re: It\'s time for an alternative to protective sty

Well, I just noticed that there were some shorter pieces back there on both sides. So, I lifted all of my hair up and then brought that nape section down with my fingers and sure enough it's shorter than the rest of my hair.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

Oh and Hairlove,

What kind of pin or clip would you recommend for loosely pinning the hair?

inthepink

Supergirl,

You could try butterfly clips, ficare clips, and just basic barrettes. Just be careful with the barrettes and buy good quality ones b/c I find sometimes the metal clipping will pull the hair. I think there are many options to buns though!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

Thanks little lady. I bet I can get some good ideas from your album
On my way...

MoezThunder

Supergirl, have you considered a single french braid. Hanging loose sometimes or pinned under sometimes?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

Moez,

I wish I knew how to french braid. I've been wanting to know how to do this since I was a little girl. I even know the technique, but when I do it on my own hair, it does not come out looking neat. If you have any french braiding tips, girl give 'em to me!!!!!!!!!

inthepink

Supergirl,

Practice, practice, practice. That's how I learned how to do my "inner" french braid as a teenager! I finally got it down pat. Also helped that I had a younger sister and got to "play" in her hair sometimes!

B

ballet_bun

Another thing that's pretty,once you learn to french braid that is ... is to start the braid from the bottom, and then at the top, make a little bun with the left over hair. It's really cute and elongates the neck. It's even better with a dainty pair of earrings!

Ballet Bun ...

DatJerseyDyme

I've had my hair done like that balletbun except I had the ends faned up a little. VERY PRETTY!

DigitalRain

I have a hair tool by Scunci called Easy Braid. Its a little 5 prong plasic with 4 slots lined with soft foam. Its supposed to help you do a french braid. The slots are used as place holders for the hair as you braid down the length of the hair. I haven't tried it yet. I thought was worth a try since I have never been able do a french braid and it was only $3.00 at Icing.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

Thanks Ladies,

You all are truly wonderful. I will be trying all of these suggestions and I'll make it one of my hair goals to learn how to neatly french braid my own hair

Lindy

That's why I definitely don't wear my hair up every day
It breaks off the hair all around the edges when you do that. My daughter has that problem and I keep telling her she needs to wear her hair out sometimes.

asummertyme

maybe this is why my edges are so slow growing.....but its not like i wear my bun tight.....ima try thre braid out also

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

Hi,

I've been doing the 3-braids like you and wearing it in various styles, ponytail, clip, etc...

I really like it & the convenience, plus it keeps me from running the comb through my hair everyday

Thanks for asking

inthepink

Very cool, Supergirl! I'm glad you found some alternatives that work for you!

sylviaetc

recently i saw this girl with i think was 3b hair and she had braided 2 regular braids one on each side, and then all she did was pin them up dutch style; i must say she looked really cute and although the style is a young girls style it looked funky and organic paired with her cool city style... that's an option SG

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

Thanks Sylvia. I'm so conservative though--maybe I could do that when I'm going somewhere that no one knows me